[Outdated] Unofficial MTA Script Editor 0.3 (4851) RELEASED!

50p

Hi. I just want to report some bugs.

At the installation it could not find mta directory automatically so I set it manually, but it can't start client or server and even the resurce browser on the left is empty.

Error when I try to start server or client from the editor:

error_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

Those aren't big problems for me, but what very annoying is, that when I copy-paste some text, it loses syntax higlighting and the text will become gray.

Suggestion: Could you make the server folder directory configurable?

Added to the next release, just need testing.

Hi. I just want to report some bugs.

At the installation it could not find mta directory automatically so I set it manually, but it can't start client or server and even the resurce browser on the left is empty.

Error when I try to start server or client from the editor:

error_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

Those aren't big problems for me, but what very annoying is, that when I copy-paste some text, it loses syntax higlighting and the text will become gray.

As in the reply to Cassandra. I added config.ini so that users can manually set their MTA path. I sent you a PM with a link to the testing version, let me know if the custom path that you set in config.ini fixes the problem for you. Thanks for report!

EDIT:

I just thought I'll post a little update on how things are going and I must admit they're going in the right direction! Thanks for all the reports I've had so far, they helped me to find and fix annoyance to the user. Hopefully fixed all the bugs that wouldn't allow users to start or edit their resources. Now, installer will ask you to specify paths to MTA server and client.

Here is what will come in the next release which will come to the public in the next week or even this weekend:

• added: "File -> New -> Resource" will now open a window where user can input the most important resource info (author, version, etc.) to create a new resource
  • added: Right-click a function definition from within a resource file (opened from Resource explorer) allows you to export the function from the resource (meta.xml: )
  • added: Context (right-click) menu for functions list on the right side of the window. Allowing you to call exported functions from other resources (you can also just double-click the function name) as well as going straight to the function definition
  • added: Options window where you can change MTA paths if necessary
  • added: Saving resource state in Resource Explorer - if you expand some folders and you switch to another resource switching back to previous resource will bring back old state of the resource; that is opened folders
  • added: Config.ini file where main MTA:SE settings will be stored
  • added: Full server integration; You can start/restart resources by clicking "Test resource" button
  • changed: Installer will now ask you for MTA server and client paths. This way MTA:SE will have valid paths right from the start.
  • changed: Installer won't overwrite file association. When running uninstaller it will bring the original file association that was used before installing MTA:SE (if you have already installed older version of MTA:SE more than once the file association will not be brought back, you will have to do it manually)
  • fixed: Crash on some PC at start up. Doesn't crash any more, if it does please contact me immediately!
  • fixed: Not loading any resources due to using wrong paths leading to non-MTA folders (installer will deal with this)
  • fixed: Some syntax highlighter issues including Lua functions highlighting (eg. math.cos, string.format, etc.)

Thanks to the tester who didn't give up on me and were patient enough to test all the test versions!

• 2 weeks later...

really good, but wouldn't writing an Eclipse/Notepad++ extension be easier, more user friendly, so all in all: better?

especially Eclipse, it has the auto completion feature included, you just need to create one for it. The other things can be implemented as well as far as I know. Also Eclipse has syntax checking, which nor Npp nor MTA SE has :lol: , only the server outputs some info, but that needs constant refreshing and it stops checking after one error, while eclipse outputs all errors.

I really appreciate your hard work though, but there is no reason (for me) to use MTA SE instead of Notepad++ and Firefox (to check the wiki) 8)

really good, but wouldn't writing an Eclipse/Notepad++ extension be easier, more user friendly, so all in all: better?

especially Eclipse, it has the auto completion feature included, you just need to create one for it. The other things can be implemented as well as far as I know. Also Eclipse has syntax checking, which nor Npp nor MTA SE has :lol: , only the server outputs some info, but that needs constant refreshing and it stops checking after one error, while eclipse outputs all errors.

I really appreciate your hard work though, but there is no reason (for me) to use MTA SE instead of Notepad++ and Firefox (to check the wiki) 8)

As I've mentioned long time ago but I'm sure nobody has read all 30 pages of this topic. Eclipse is heavy weight (over 100MB? MTA:SE is only ~2MB) therefore I don't want beginners to download heavy-weight Eclipse just for an add-on. Also, I've never used Eclipse so it'd take me some time to get used to it and then to make an add-on which is another adventure. I've tried to make an extension for Notepad++ but I just couldn't get my head around it, it was hard to make some sort of "Resource explorer" so I gave up.

MTA:SE does have a syntax checker, it doesn't stop at the first error and it checks the syntax whenever you edit the file so it does refresh when it is necessary. People need to have choice and this is why there are many shops selling the same or similar things. This is also the reason why there are so many different types of TV's or computer hardware, that's called competition (but I don't compete). If you like Notepad go for it, if you like Notepad++ feel free to use it. I can't make you use MTA:SE which is one of the tools I'm making for fun not for money :> Thanks for your opinion.

use should add gui functions to the Editro because when i write guiSetVisible dont give me red color like other functions

so we can know client side and server side and Both .

It has support for almost all MTA functions and they are highlighted as needed. Client-side functions are red (including GUI functions), server-side functions are orange and both client and server are blue but as I mentioned before, I do not highlight MTA functions when you open a .lua script from within Windows explorer and the reason is that not all Lua scripts are MTA scripts. CryENGINE uses Lua scripts for their weapons/vehicles/etc. Word of Warcraft. Also, how does MTA:SE is supposed to know if the script is server-side or client-side? But if that is what people want I will add support for highlighting MTA functions of non-resource Lua script but it will highlight both, server-side and client-side functions which is not ideal.

Thanks for your comments guys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all of a sudden I get a nasty error.

I start the editor than windows starts looking for solution because the program stoped running (but i can still open scripts and use it, it doesnt freeze but closes when windows finishes scaning for solutions)

and in its install folder I found a error text document that had this in it Length cannot be less than zero.

Parameter name: length

please tell me how to fix it.

Oh and any tutorial on how to use it please? :D

P.S I tried to turn on DEP too but it wont allow me.

Thanks for the comments guys. I appreciate all the feedback. I'll need to speak to some of you about the problems you described. I'll PM you guys to get more information. In the meantime try the new release which is 0.3.4851!

• added: "File -> New -> Resource" will now open a window where user can input the most important resource info (author, version, etc.) to create a new resource
  • added: Right-click a function definition from within a resource file (opened from Resource explorer) allows you to export the function from the resource (meta.xml: )
  • added: Context (right-click) menu for functions list on the right side of the window. Allowing you to call exported functions from other resources (you can also just double-click the function name) as well as going straight to the function definition
  • added: Options window where you can change MTA paths if necessary
  • added: Saving resource state in Resource Explorer - if you expand some folders and you switch to another resource switching back to previous resource will bring back old state of the resource; that is opened folders
  • added: Config.ini file where main MTA:SE settings will be stored
  • added: Full server integration; You can start/restart resources by clicking "Test resource" button
  • added: "Compile script" for all Lua scripts - this is Windows integration, so you can right-click any Lua file within Windows Explorer and you will have an option to compile the clicked script
  • changed: Installer will now ask you for MTA server and client paths. This way MTA:SE will have valid paths right from the start.
  • changed: Installer won't overwrite file association. When running uninstaller it will bring the original file association that was used before installing MTA:SE (if you have already installed older version of MTA:SE more than once the file association will not be brought back, you will have to do it manually)
  • fixed: Crash on some PC at start up. Doesn't crash any more, if it does please contact me immediately!
  • fixed: Not loading any resources due to using wrong paths leading to non-MTA folders (installer will deal with this)
  • fixed: Some syntax highlighter issues including Lua functions highlighting (eg. math.cos, string.format, etc.)

I'd love to give this a try and see if it speed things up for me, however I can't seem to install it. Every time I try to run the Setup I'm met by an Error saying that the MTA: San Andreas directory could not be found.

It does actually exist, and it's located at C:/Program Files(x86)/MTA San Andreas 1.3 but the Setup doesn't seem to be able to find it. I've already tried to run it as Administrator as well as move the setup into the MTA folder itself but nothing worked.

I searched this Thread but couldn't see anyone with a similar problem.

Operating system is Windows 7 64-Bit. Any help to get this working would be greatly appreciated! :)

I'd love to give this a try and see if it speed things up for me, however I can't seem to install it. Every time I try to run the Setup I'm met by an Error saying that the MTA: San Andreas directory could not be found.

It does actually exist, and it's located at C:/Program Files(x86)/MTA San Andreas 1.3 but the Setup doesn't seem to be able to find it. I've already tried to run it as Administrator as well as move the setup into the MTA folder itself but nothing worked.

I searched this Thread but couldn't see anyone with a similar problem.

Operating system is Windows 7 64-Bit. Any help to get this working would be greatly appreciated! :)

When are you getting this message? Straight after you run the installer? Besides, you can select the MTA Client and MTA Server directories separately.

When are you getting this message? Straight after you run the installer? Besides, you can select the MTA Client and MTA Server directories separately.

Straight after I try to run the setup, yes. I picked the default location for MTA San Andreas, I have both the Client, Server as well as SDK installed.

Straight after I try to run the setup, yes. I picked the default location for MTA San Andreas, I have both the Client, Server as well as SDK installed.

Thanks for this info, I've PM'ed you with some questions. Help me to help you.

I let myself in to the temtation and DLd the new version. First things that occured and was bugging me in the previous as well:

Why can't we make files with any extension?

Why can't we use it without MTA? (I would LOVE a portable version to bring to school)

What about the greyed-out "configure server"?

How to add our own functions?(would be easier than opening up new and new tabs)

Could there be an example for functions? Or maybe a wiki link?(sorry, skipped that part)

Are/Can functions be auto-updated from the wiki?

still awesome :)

edit: it doesn't color function list:stuff () end correctly, "stuff" should be orange

edit2: how to "fully integrate" it to the server?

edit3: why can't we create folders inside resources?

edit4: why u no events??????

1. It was meant to be a script editor at first, so I only added support for .lua files but then I added support for .xml-based files (.map and .conf files) too. I might give the user an option to create any file extension files.

2. I want users to have MTA installed so that they can start client/server from within the editor itself (there is a new Test Resource button which will send request to the server to start/restart the currently opened resource, the server must be running)

3. I have to remake the server configuration window because there are more and more setting coming from time to time, so I also need to think of a way to dynamically add support for the new settings instead of adding them manually and releasing an update just for the new server settings. This is the reason why I disabled that option for now

4. I don't know what you mean by "our own functions". Do you mind explaining a little better?

5. (skipped)

6. Not currently. I don't want users to have a functions fetcher/updater because that requires 100s connections at a time to fetch all the functions from wiki. I have my own app which allows me to fetch all the functions from wiki. This way I can update the functions list file (MTAFuncs.db) and upload it so others can download it manually. If you want, you can update the file yourself. It's a simple SQLite 3 file so SQLite Database Browser can open this file.

e1. I noticed that and I'll be trying to find a proper RegularExpression that will color the table/methods correctly

e2. Open the options window (Tools->Options) and there you will have an "Integration with server" box that requires admin's username as well as password. You can create a fictional account on your server just for use by MTA:SE, and use that account to integrate MTA:SE with the MTA server.

e3. I can't create folders in the resource explorer because they are not present in meta.xml. It's not a simple task to make user-friendly as well as program, because I don't want to display empty folders in the resource explorer as well as folders which are not even part of file's name in meta.xml (eg. )

e4. I wanted to add the events snippets to the auto-complete box but first I needed to add the more important thing (functions list)

I hope it answers all of your questions and thanks for giving it a try.

NOTE: Just to let everyone know who may be concerned about installer problem that Dealman had, the problem has been solved. His registry was a little messy and didn't let him install MTA:SE, I've also modified the installer so that even when another user has the similar problem, they will still be able to install it.