ALT-TAB or minimize

If it's easy enough in MTA to ban alt-tabbing then surely it would be easy to allow it, but have a scriptable function so in some gamemodes it could be banned if it gave a player an advantage...

It can or can't give people advantages, that's not the point.

It's the problem that others can annoy others. While alt+tabbed synch will fail terribly, making you not die when someone fires at you, when in a helicopter you might be stuck in the air to some, and a lot of other things that could be caused.

It has no real point to keep discussing on this. It will destroy synch, in ANY gamemode used, so it wouldn't be a good idea to implement alt+tabbing in-game.

Besides, in 1.0 you can alt+tab in the main menu. It's only a short disconnect and reconnect away. And MTA also has windowed mode, again no real problem to activate that. I see no reason why to really activate it while on a server.

If it's easy enough in MTA to ban alt-tabbing then surely it would be easy to allow it

Seriously if you think that its so easy why don't you do it yourself? Here is a start!

It can or can't give people advantages, that's not the point.

Wow there is no need for both of you to be aggressive especially scarface, I was just trying to think of a reasonable compromise for the arguments in this thread, this is the Suggestions forum after all...

And Gamesnert < there is nothing to stop players using window mode and 'alt-tab'ing to give them an advantage... And it still ruins the sync, so it's kind of a void argument tbh...

Wow there is no need for both of you to be aggressive especially scarface, I was just trying to think of a reasonable compromise for the arguments in this thread, this is the Suggestions forum after all...

And Gamesnert < there is nothing to stop players using window mode and 'alt-tab'ing to give them an advantage... And it still ruins the sync, so it's kind of a void argument tbh...

The point is that windowed mode doesn't stop the GTA SA engine so it doesn’t give people advantages that's why it's allowed!

The problem with your suggestion is that there has been an entire discussion which lead to no alt+tabbing in-game, for good reason.

Now if you want alt+tab, scar was right, make it and try it out. Or discuss this on #mta-dev channel on IRC. But what you don't appear to be understanding is that minimizing the game brings in awful synch which sometimes gives advantages to the abuser and almost always disadvantages to others.

Now, your point about going into windowed mode and THEN minimizing is probably true. I've heard of this before. And this also is an issue, and an excellent example why alt+tab is blocked outside of windowed mode. This is certainly an issue that has to be solved, if it isn't already. But alt+tab while being connected to a server is absolutely not a good idea, just like the same stuff in windowed mode.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
lil_Toady has lately added support for minimizing while in-game with GTA's core still running while minimized!

*Scarface gives lil_Toady a cookie

:happy3:

So in other words, one of the future versions of Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas will allow people to ALT-TAB out of MTA? If so that would be great. It is so annoying when for instance you get IMed and you have to close MTA in order to view the IM. x.x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alt+tab is almost perfect in the nightlies now I think...

1. It doesn't pause GTA anymore

2. Mouse properly appears now afaik

3. All the music keeps playing, instead of only GTA's (an option for this might be something that can be looked into in the future I guess)

4. I guess most crashes and other issues with it have also been solved

5. It is done, whatever "wouldn't be done"

Alt+tab is almost perfect in the nightlies now I think...

1. It doesn't pause GTA anymore

2. Mouse properly appears now afaik

3. All the music keeps playing, instead of only GTA's (an option for this might be something that can be looked into in the future I guess)

4. I guess most crashes and other issues with it have also been solved

5. It is done, whatever "wouldn't be done"

Is there any way for me to get the nightly version? And if I were to download and install it, would I still be able to see the normal list of servers and everything?