Can't cause damage on enemeys

Guest Rabauke

Hello Everybody

I have this bug, so i cant cause damage on enemys/other peoples. First, i had no idea and i never could kill people on server. And if i asked for this bug never answered me. As i tried third and fourth time 1 poeple did a answer and said to me that the hitboxes are wrong. He told me i have to shot a litle right of the person, on the right arm or something.

Ok i did it and had little success, i see its really possible to kill people but its really tiresome;

I didnt know exactly where to hit, so its every time a gambling where i have to shot. I didnt (cant) hit the enemy, if he is moving. And if i use a normal gun (for example pistols) i wouldnt have a chance. I need really really hard guns, and i mean HARD guns to kill people. Fuck off UZZIs, light guns, light machineguns, grenades, molotovs etc. Thats what i need to kill people is the really heavy machine gun (not the railgun but the gun with 100round on a mag). M16 works "fine" too --> not really good but it works. Otherwise (with all normal guns) i cant kill people.

So whats this shit?

And please dont say "every people got that bug" i saw many people shootin on me with pistol when i was running, tricksing, jumping and i died.

Please help me with this ******* bug

Ya, the M-60 :P

The bug is NOT the hitboxes.

It is a combination of lag and an aiming problem.

You usually have to aim very far ahead of the person to hit them (I usually have to aim 10-20 feet ahead) if they are moving (lag).

And SOMETIMES you have to aim a bit to the left/right of where you want the bullets to go. I'm usually aiming about a meter to the side, and I usually am able to hit them (aiming bug).

I normally play 56k.

I tend to hit people randomly with pistols. Sometimes I wont hit them and they'll take the damage. Just get close to them and fire away.

Also, SMGs while running works for me and helps the opponent not hit me.

If the opponent is firing at you at the same time you are firing at them and both of you hit eachother, no damage will be done.

If I use the huge guns, I tend to die more because they keep me stationary and though I may be firing at someone who is firing at me, someone else may be firing at me as well.

Team up with someone. If both if you fire at a target and try to fire in front of where they are going to go, you'll have more of a chance of killing them.

It's not really a bug.. it's just the unpricise shooting angle of you being transmitted to the other machines.

Anyways, it could be that some people were alt+tabbed out of Vice City, they will not react on shooting etc then, of course.

Maybe a feature to make 'PAUSED' appear on a player's name when he/she Alt+Tabs.Or a feature to let the admin make Alt+Tab pause(Giving invincibility or not)optional.

I'm sure these would solve that annoying problem.

And about the shooting bug+lag,it is mostly annoying with molotovs and grenades.I flame/blow him up,but infact they see the grenade/molotov falling half way.Same with vertical(Z-Axis if I remember)shooting,I remember one time that me and another person looked like fools shooting eachother(When infact we weren't).

I'm more interested in optimizing stability and aiming issues to their best possible(Keep ug the good work,I know it's hard :P ),rather than gametypes. :idea:

And about the shooting bug+lag,it is mostly annoying with molotovs and grenades.I flame/blow him up,but infact they see the grenade/molotov falling half way

The actors will not throw the molotovs and grenades the same distance you do. They will in fact always throw them at the same distance away, which is nearly enough not to get hit by it themself. So there is no point in throwing the things miles away.

And about the shooting bug+lag,it is mostly annoying with molotovs and grenades.I flame/blow him up,but infact they see the grenade/molotov falling half way

The actors will not throw the molotovs and grenades the same distance you do. They will in fact always throw them at the same distance away, which is nearly enough not to get hit by it themself. So there is no point in throwing the things miles away.

I caught on to this and now I hate it... I either throw too short to be hit myself, or throw just a little too long to hit the person I wanted to. I wish I could throw whatever distance I wanted... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Another possibility is packet loss. Unlike lag, which can cause bad aim, packet

loss means the other player never knows you fired your weapon. This appears

to be a very common problem on servers with lots of users. With about 20 users

on a server the downlink is about 15K bytes/sec. Anything slower than 128K dsl

will have some packet loss. A 28.8 modem can only take 3K/sec, so you will loose

80% of the packets. Other network congestion (limited server bandwidth

for example) can also cause dropped packets.

I did some experiments using the FreeBSD dummynet driver and varying

the packet loss on the downlink only. At 75% you see very few bullets

yet the game is very playable. Other players movements are jumpier, but

enough position data gets through to make it work quite well.

If anything can be done to prioritize weapon fire packets on the downlink

at the expense of position updates, that would help.

Better yet, if the downlink contained information about nearby players much

more frequently than distant players, you might be able to improve this effect

and significantly reduce downlink bandwidth. Of course the greatest benefit

for this would be on the server where the bandwidth grows exponentially with

the number of users :)

• Like 1