crapiest computer

my pc sux 800mhz amd duron 256mb sdram gforce 4mx420 64meg pci onboard sound drive1 80gig maxtor 7200 rpm drive2 40gig seagate 5200 rpm drive 3 80gig maxtor 7200ram slow ass dvdrom and burner 2.8mbps cable/1.4mbps adsl. hey it runs my game smooth its all i care for :eyeslam:

my pc sux 800mhz amd duron 256mb sdram gforce 4mx420 64meg pci onboard sound drive1 80gig maxtor 7200 rpm drive2 40gig seagate 5200 rpm drive 3 80gig maxtor 7200ram slow ass dvdrom and burner 2.8mbps cable/1.4mbps adsl. hey it runs my game smooth its all i care for :eyeslam:

What is the point in all the HDs? Make sure the maxtors are on the same channel if possible, those are ATA133 and the Seagate probably isn't, which can kill performance.

About my machine, I love overclocking and I am an avid AMD user / enthusiast.. if you have any nForce2 or AMD questions come to me :) My overclock is pretty good, I might shell out the $50 or so just to get a processor that can do another 100mhz overclocked :) but I am thinking of waiting, in about a year I'll have a nice Athlon 64... s939, none of that single-channel stuff! :)

Well i dont really know what graphics card u have , explain better, brand name memory etcetc.

My PC: WIN XP Pro. P4 1,8 ghz,512 ddr ram ,20 gb (ye ye laugh), Nvidia Geforce 4 mmx 440 128 mb ram,cable broadband.(did i miss something)

:lol: your harddrive sucks, yeah, i had to laugh :P

Go spend 100 bucks and get a better HD

My computer has 1.3Ghz and 392MB of RAM, a GeForce 4 MX440 64MB video card and 15 gig hd... I wish I had about fifteen hundred dollars... I could build the best computer in town. (By the way, Pentium 4 with hyper-threading is better than any AMD or Athlon cause those only go up to a 333mhz front-side-bus while you can find a Pentium 4 goes to 800mhz) So I would invest in a Pentium 4 if I only had the money. (My comptuer was a cheap 200 dollar peice of junk... what a rip off... It came with LINDOWS *snicker*)

By the way, Pentium 4 with hyper-threading is better than any AMD or Athlon cause those only go up to a 333mhz front-side-bus while you can find a Pentium 4 goes to 800mhz) So
your joking? pentiums are no wheres near anything good for gaming speacily hypertreading! it will cause major lagg no joke. the new pentium 4's with hypertreading are fully made for server use dont work to good in gameing at all

i take that back petiums run planetside better than amd but sucks in any other game :P

uhh.. ur wrong..

P4's are specially made for HOME COMPUTING, w/ or w/o htt! (hyperthreadtech)

Xeons, Tualatins, and Itaniums (sp?) are specially made for servers..

Hyperthreading WONT boost game speed, ever, unless the game is designed for it. Hyperthreading is good for multitasking, and it should speed up boot time.

First, let me teach you about hardware.

Let me first go off by saing the Athlon XP line can go up to 400mhz FSB, not 333. The Athlon XP is a dual-pumped FSB, ie. it is really 200mhz, not 400. The same goes for the P4 - except it is a quad-pumped bus (4x200mhz, sends 4x information per clock), which only transfers data at quad, otherwise for address and control data it only sends at dual (or single?) pumped, like the Athlon (which means it is really a 200mhz bus quad pumped, older Intels were 133x4 and 100x4 - 533 and 400mhz, respectively). This is why the 800mhz fsb P4's are good with such things as movie encoding - they need to transfer lots of sequential data, which makes use of this bus. Without a dualchannel memory controller, though (see the next line), you don't get the full bandwidth delivered to the processor.

Using a single-channel memory controller on either machine will give you the same amount of memory performance (theoretically). Most often this will actually lean toward the Athlon XP, since most released memory controllers (with the exception of the i865/i875 [though those are just bloat... look at the poor efficiency, *phew*!!]) are more tweaked to perfection for the Athlon XP's. Using a dualchannel memory controller (ie. nforce2, i865/i875, kt880, etc) on an Athlon platform leaves more memory available to other tasks, due to the FSB limiting factor - but this is just memory bandwidth. In todays gaming, that doesn't affect performance so much. A 400mhz FSB Athlon XP can only access 3.2gb/sec bandwidth, whereas a p4/800mhz bus can access 6.4. The Athlon on an nForce2 platform will hit around 2.9-3gb/sec, whereas the bloated P4 will hit 5-5.5gb/sec. Note where the efficiency lies? :) Just becuase there is more bandwidth, doesn't mean its faster. Lower latency chipsets can definately perform miracles - waiting for your data twice as long doesn't do you any good with having double the size when the competitor can get it twice as fast.

With the Athlon 64 coming out, there is no longer an FSB - the link from the CPU to the memory controller is the same clock of the CPU, due to the memory controller being on-die. The only external link is the HyperTransport link, which technically isn't an FSB. This link operates at 800mhz and will evolve to be a 1.6ghz link. It is 8 bits wide, so it can transfer up to 6.4gb/sec across its bus. It operates much like the Pentium 4's QPB, in that it only sends address and control data at dual pumped speeds (I believe). But it doesn't have the memory hits that the P4 has, since the memory controller is on-die - even the singlechannel version (socket 754) owns P4 in a lot of tasks. The reduced latency (less than half of P4 chipsets, sometimes even more!!) really hits home.

Whoever said "$1500 would get me a kickass computer", I could probably outperform yours with a bit of overclocking for a little bit over half of what you'd pay. $900, and I'll own anything - repeat, ANYTHING you can build with $1500. Trust me on that.

Durons are easy to overclock, though you wont get much of an OC out of it. If you have a new Applebred Duron, you might be able to get 256k cache, but you'd have had to buy one within the last few weeks. PM me and I will give you some info.

If anyone has any questions on the nForce2 chipset or computer stuff in general, give me a hollar via PM. :-D I love to talk about techie stuff... :)

Edit: several changes and additions made.

Edit2: added a couple of things, changed some wording.

Edited by Guest

wow, i didnt know of the meory controller on die. now i see some benefits of a 64-bit processor in a 32-bit environment.

now we must wait for a 64-bit os and we can use the full potential of 64-bit consumer computing :twisted:

Intel needs to catch up.. an affordable 64-bit processor w/ htt would be great!

The memory controller has nothing to do with 64-bitness. Most people dont even realize that its not the 64bit that makes the processor powerful for todays applicatoins, it is the extra registers you get while in 64bit mode. Those registers are vital, and they alone can improve performance of many applications... of course, a program has to be compiled to make use of those registers, and why not just add 64bitness in for a bit of fun, 'eh? So you get 2 things for 1, effectively...

Prescott (the next P4...) will have 64bit extensions - it seems its only option is AMD64. This is Microsoft's push, not Intel's initiative.

Also, if I got a decent performing system (say something OCable to 3200+ with DualDDR), it would only cost me $200 - $250 with the heatsink and fan. Thats already over $100 less than what you can get as "decent."

You understand my Duron info?