Freaking Jacobs took over mta

ThatGuy12

Question

16 answers to this question

Actually, the privilege of renaming a player and having it stick permanently (or rather, until the player discovers it and changes it, which isn't close to as often as it should be) should be restricted. There's also been some outright abuse of that function, especially back in the DP2 days, where some server renamed players to all kinds of rude names.

it's always been annoying to me, i really can't think of a proper reason why someone should be able to set your name. this function should have been removed ages ago. especially because it's already abused by too many servers who keep crippling your name to have no special characters and force you to change your name when playing on another server again.

I actually agree with that.

We should keep "setPlayerNametagText" as it is, but limit "setPlayerName" to a temporary change, not saved when they disconnect rather than remove it entirely.

As for preventing tampering entirely, remember that some servers only want to strip colour codes (especially if they would interfere with a gamemode), or injected spaces in the nickname, or prevent constant nickname changing. I agree there isn't really a need to be stripping symbols and such from player names, but that's not the only consideration.

it's always been annoying to me, i really can't think of a proper reason why someone should be able to set your name.

Why not? You could store little stats in it like wanted level, "[5]dragon", meaning you don't have to create your own nickname implementation. Although I do agree that a script shouldn't be able to change a player's real nick, so when you leave the server your name should be "dragon" again.

it's always been annoying to me, i really can't think of a proper reason why someone should be able to set your name.

Why not? You could store little stats in it like wanted level, "[5]dragon", meaning you don't have to create your own nickname implementation. Although I do agree that a script shouldn't be able to change a player's real nick, so when you leave the server your name should be "dragon" again.

That can still be done via nametag text, overriding the chat and possibly the joinquit resource, without anyone noticing the difference. I'm just pointing that out, because I personally would be OK with a temporary change, just as long as it's not permanent.

Then again, if the people who get these names (and don't change them) don't get their names set to something, I guess chances are they'll just stick to "Player". :roll:

That can still be done via nametag text, overriding the chat and possibly the joinquit resource, without anyone noticing the difference.

Isn't that too much work for the scripter? :P If the change wasn't permanent, they shouldn't worry about all that stuff.

• MTA Team
I see it as a good thing. If they wern't all renamed there would be about 200 "Players" then they would get a "Disconnected: Nickname already in use." error from a lot of popular servers.

What's wrong with that, at least then they will set the nick to something they want.

• MTA Team
Actually, players should be able to set a nickname during installation and "Player" shouldn't be an option. :mrgreen:

Maybe you could consider making a suggestion report on mantis about it, as it seems like a good idea. I have seen it solved like that in recent Warsow's versions.

Or, if bored enough, make a patch yourself which adds it :P