question about the current core/version

well ok, but wasn't it easier if you guys made a backup of the original scm, and cleaned the original scm, and started with the empty main.scm(or an scm with the standard features required for multiplayer)? in the current core/version the game starts via another way(i guess the mta client tells how to start it) so you wont see start game and stuff, but start multi theft auto.

also this will be changed in blue right?

why are you guys(the team) using another scm for MTA, in stead of the main scm? (besides the fact that you will still be able to play singleplayer and multiplayer at the same time) there must be another reason, or am i wrong?

i think thats the only reason, same with other game files like american.gxt.... why should they overwrite original game files when they can use own ones and its also better if you can say that mta doesnt modify any of the original game files

yeah ok, i forgot the other file, but its the same thing.

actually overwriting original game files, thats not what i meant. what i did mean is that instead of creating a "2nd file" like mta.scm, why not use the original one(main scm) but cleaned, so they are new as well? i mean the team had to create a new way to bypass the loading of the original files so you wont see start new game and stuff, but start multi theft auto. offcourse its better that no original files were changed, but saving a lot of work sounds better to me, but i don't know for sure, thats why im asking.

The main.scm contains the missions for Vice City/GTA3. MTA doesn't have missions, but has lots of other (and generally invisible) stuff (such as creating players, vehicles, races (GTA3) etc.) that it does in the SCM. You can only use one SCM at a time, and we use mta.scm instead of main.scm to make MTA possible.

eAi

well ok, but its not impossible to use the main.scm, since some other projects use it.

starting with an empty scm, creating a new scm

could be me, but wouldn;t that be exactly the same?

well maybe i was a bit unclear, but it isnt the same as i meant. creating a 2nd scm, and leaving the main.scm unchanged, in stead of cleaning the main.scm(or most of it) and starting with that, because in option 2 you won't be able to play singleplayer. anyway the main.scm contains too many data, so i can understand that it was easier to create a new one.

You can only use one SCM at a time

how come blue doesn't use any then?

• MTA Team

The only reason other mods use main.scm is because they do not know how to load a different file, but they also started with an empty file. There is a file size limit on the .scm file and our mta.scm is so full that we hit that limit. We have found a way to baypass this problem in Blue. We still use the .scm functions in Blue but we don't use it the same way as we do today.

The only reason other mods use main.scm is because they do not know how to load a different file, but they also started with an empty file.

well i can't speak for GTA:C, but i know that GTAT can do it, because they've done it before. and the project which im going to betatest for, can also do it, but they preferred the other method.

We still use the .scm functions in Blue but we don't use it the same way as we do today.

quote from infopage about blue:

By writing blue from the ground up we've been able to eliminate the crashes and errors that occurred with the previous core technology, by eliminating the use of the scm (Vice City's mission scripting system) entirely, we've produced a core that can be easily be fixed if errors arise.

well if you are right, then the infopage is wrong, and it might need an update :wink:

Our mta.scm suites to our needs, the normal main.scm doesn't.

It's nicer to keep MTA and the original GTA separated, easier for us and easier for the users.

Note: CURRENT core 0.3, not blue

Edited by Guest
Stop trying to pick arguments. You have no idea how blue works, so until we release it you can't tell us if what we've stated on the blue info page is incorrect or not.

eAi

well i dont know much about blue as you, but i do know that what blokker said, and what is stated on the blue page is against eachother(or whatever its called in english).

i dont see you on the MTA team lance, therefore they know more than you, seeing they made it....

im not saying that i know more than them.

and kurt, go and spam in the blasta section kid.

The only reason other mods use main.scm is because they do not know how to load a different file, but they also started with an empty file.

well i can't speak for GTA:C, but i know that GTAT can do it, because they've done it before. and the project which im going to betatest for, can also do it, but they preferred the other method.

We still use the .scm functions in Blue but we don't use it the same way as we do today.

By writing blue from the ground up we've been able to eliminate the crashes and errors that occurred with the previous core technology, by eliminating the use of the scm (Vice City's mission scripting system) entirely, we've produced a core that can be easily be fixed if errors arise.

well if you are right, then the infopage is wrong, and it might need an update :wink:

actually u havent thought about it. they are gonna use scm functions but not the main.scm itself. they are gonna use a dummy scm which is fed to blue which uses scm functions to create gamemodes and bypass the limits of the scm. this is how i see it atm

Well first off, MTA is much better than GTAT (or any GTAVC mod) has ever been, so why argue a switch? Yes I know you'll say thats just the fault of the GTAT team (and others), but its as pointless as you using this example in this subject.

I can give one good reason, there is a certain limit on certain functions in GTAVC, therefore a totally stripped .SCM will allow more of some of some things of Vice City to be coded for MTA.

As for that comment on the blue thing, you should also realize it says information can change at anytime. So you can't burn them on that unless they don't change it after BLUE is released.

you know lance, Blokker didn't talk about the use of the scm, if you read my previous post, then you see that you don't need an scm to call scm functions

Does it even matter?

no it doesn't, but i'm just proving that lance is wrong with his "blue page is wrong or blokker is lying" thing

thnx for the info though. '

Well first off, MTA is much better than GTAT (or any GTAVC mod) has ever been, so why argue a switch? Yes I know you'll say thats just the fault of the GTAT team (and others), but its as pointless as you using this example in this sub

well that most ppl like mta doesnt mean its the best one, you think its best, but you cant make a fact out of that. 2nd, using main.scm doesn't have to be crap, ( who knows what other projects will bring this year)

Does it even matter?

well my questions answered, i dont care if anybody cares, since i dont have to code :lol: good luck with blue :lol:

you think its best, but you cant make a fact out of that. 2nd, using main.scm doesn't have to be crap, ( who knows what other projects will bring this year)

It may be an opinion, but whoever thinks otherwise severely lacks common sense. GTA:T crashes when you press C. Yeah, lets all go play that, sounds like a blast.

Not to mention they can't even keep their site running.

And if the MTA Team were to use the main.scm, that would completely eliminate single player. Using a different SCM allows multiplayer and single player.