Slow motion bug

I have this weird bug in GTAVC. Whenever something happens that makes the game go into slow motion, it never goes out of slow motion again. But, when I start Fraps to record it, it goes back to normal motion.. The camera never moves either. so I have to play with the camera viewing me from a distance which is quite annoying ;)

Here is a replay I recorded after slow motion was supposed to have ended and I contiuned to play. Or tried to anyways.

It happens every time. It always stops after I start capturing with Fraps. And I'm now using a new Windows installation, and it was like this before I reinstalled Windows also. I didn't reinstall it because of this though.

A friend of mine, HurraTorpedo from GTAG, who had a similar problem, but he loaded another savegame, and it didn't happen, but when he loads that same savegame again, the problem comes back. The same thing happens here.

Here is a jump I just performed to get slowmotion to check that it only happens on this savegame. Despite not seeing anything after the bike falls behind the building on the first roof, I actually didn't fall, and the two jumps in the replay was 410feet and 186feet long ;)

I have had this exact problem before. I think i tied my problem to either the video card driver or the VC installation. I know that i reinstalled VC and changed my drivers both and now it works fine. I also have some corrupt save games that will not work properly so maybe it is that? Although i do not think that is what caused the problem in my cas, because now i do not have the slomo problem using the same old savegame.

What kind of card do you have?

I have ATI 9800 XT 256MB

once i was in docks and someone had used car cheat what had respawn there million cars my game was very slow.. I think thats the problemo... Or mayby yes it can be ur cpu... :wink:

nononono what youre talking about is cpu lag, if there are about 80 cars all in 1 place and each car has like 3000 polys and textures your game will lag, unless you have some super pc

what i would do is reinstall vc first of all

I'm gonna reinstall VC soon. Just gonna finish my movie first. Since it happens only when I've loaded that particular savegame, I think it might be it.

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB btw.. But it's been like this since before I got it which was only a few weeks ago, and then I had a Radoen 9600. Haven't used any cheats though, so I don't think that's it ;) I have tested them of course, but not on this installation and not on this savegame.

If anyone could test the savegame I linked to in my previous post and see if they get stuck in slowmotion with it, it would be nice :)

nononono what youre talking about is cpu lag, if there are about 80 cars all in 1 place and each car has like 3000 polys and textures your game will lag, unless you have some super pc

what i would do is reinstall vc first of all

i know but with me have this happend only 2 times he sayd it happend also... :roll:

Perhaps I could offer deeper insight into this...

I've had this problem with a saved game of mine since January. I'm pretty sure it first appeared soon after I saved my game by accident while having used several cheats. That is to say, whenever I'd do something in a location that would trigger the Unique Stunt slomo, the camera would stay in its fixed cinematic position and the game would never go out of slomo after I'd landed and the stunt was over. I soon concluded the bug was savegame-specific and probably caused by something written wrong in the file (or gta_vc.set possibly), as loading other savegames would immediately eliminate it and it wasn't there when I played MTA either. In the end, I just had to delete it or keep in mind to avoid doing anything funky near unique stunt locations.

More to its nature, from enough experimenting with the bug, it became obvious that slomo sends the framerate skyrocketing (100+fps even) and thus, could lock up the whole progress of the game, as many "animations" are framerate-dependant (the frame generation drives the game to a great extent); falling off your bike would simply mean you'd never get up again and it would also make your health indicator pulse faster than normal. If you were stunting in a car and it landed upwards, you could still do nothing about the locked camera issue, so you're damned either way.

In fact, the only thing useful about that bug - and that's probly the only reason I kept the save for a long time (you can try that too netrex) - is that it overrides seemingly even more core events, like ending the action when dieing in an exploding vehicle and respawning you at the nearest hospital. Since during that time Hunter's "exploding" vids were something of a new fad that many enjoyed, I found I could drive up to a convenient unique stunt (like the one just south-west of the PCJ Playground sub-mission spawn location, north of WBPD), hit the ramp, escape to the menu to type BIGBANG several dozen times and return to the action to see me going up miles spinning and even type the cheat some more then. Replays from such feats apparently were considerably longer than anything in Hunter's vids and when viewed again were definitely kickass material for a try or two :). But I digress...

As far as breaking out of such a bug goes, surely a reasonable explanation for why Fraps seems to do it could be that by recording, it effectively caps the high frame draw rate to such a degree that it flips off a check switch somewhere in the game and lets it continue normally. Even more interesting however, is another way I accidentally discovered for doing that: steal an R3 car (squad car, VCPD van, ambu, firetruck - even a taxi) and go do a unique stunt. Then, when you're done and still trapped in slomo, hit Caps Lock to enter the car's "mission" and you should be able to break out of slomo! Of course, you can press it again afterwards, if you don't feel like driving drones around places or putting out fires. Seems like the text displaying call is a pretty powerful force.

Anyway, that's all I know about this bug and to recap, there's no way to save your game from this plague, regardless of what had once been posted about deleting your gta_vc.set file in the VC savestates folder; that doesn't work. So just ditch the file and work from a previous progress point, or download a 100% one and be on your way, cause at this point nobody cares anymore if you've finished the game yourself or not :P.

PS: For the record, I also have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with 128MB RAM and relatively recent drivers. Who knows, perhaps it's card-dependant as well...

PS2: Sorry for the long post, but as some of you know, I haven't been here for a long time 'till recently (I returned cause of several good videos) and this particular thread hit a sensitive spot with me. Anyway greetings to anyone that still remembers me :).

Perhaps I could offer deeper insight into this...

I've had this problem with a saved game of mine since January. I'm pretty sure it first appeared soon after I saved my game by accident while having used several cheats. That is to say, whenever I'd do something in a location that would trigger the Unique Stunt slomo, the camera would stay in its fixed cinematic position and the game would never go out of slomo after I'd landed and the stunt was over. I soon concluded the bug was savegame-specific and probably caused by something written wrong in the file (or gta_vc.set possibly), as loading other savegames would immediately eliminate it and it wasn't there when I played MTA either. In the end, I just had to delete it or keep in mind to avoid doing anything funky near unique stunt locations.

I am very familiar to this particular bug, infact I have one of these '100 % completed' savegames. I believe this is one of the 'rewards' of completing something in singleplayer that gives this annoying 'bug/reward' whatever it is :?

I can put up the crappy savefile if anyone wants to test it out ;)