cheat prevention?

are things such as health, armor, car damage, etc... going to be synced with the server?

if not, i do think that there will be tons of cheaters that are waiting for this mod to be released in order to exploit it. i could be wrong, but when it's as easy as loading up a program and click a button, people are more prone to doing it.

perhaps there should be some built-in cheat protection? also, i think it would be a good idea to make sure that each player is using the same models and/or graphics in order to ensure that everyone is playing the same game and seeing the same things. i know this won't be a hard feature and it will allow people to create multiplayer mods.

what do you think?

I don't think cheating will be a real problem until GTA3 multiplayer really catches on, and the team probably has a while until them. Not to mention I think they'll start focusing on cheat prevention after they have a nice, solid program, first.

Although it's always best to play with people you know and trust.

true - a solid program is the #1 objective.

I think the way that has been figured out, is that all weapons/icons are to be syncd - and if you are not over an icon and gain something you will be found, and if you are standing over an icon which you just took, and you gain an extra bonus you will be found.

As for scripts and stuff, i guess mta may suffer the same as cs, but we can only wait.

This also has been brought up before, but now that i am assisting in gameplay design, i'm worried by this cheating thing. I know there is a way to check if the player is using an 'illegal' weapon, so we could make him respawn when pulling up an 'illegal' weapon. There is no way people could use tanks as they would never get synced anyways, thus they'd be ruining their own game. As for health/armor checks this is to be done yet, but I don't really think it will be a problem. Note that all of this is for using the common cheats. If trainers are involved, we will need some kind of external tool checkin the use of illegal memory changing, and kicking the player out of the game. This is a lot of work, so we'll concentrate to make stable gamemode's for legitimate players first, then worry about lame ass cheaters later.

• 3 weeks later...

tanks are not going to be synced?? so, no army wars or nuttin? ahh, but wudnt it be funny to say to a clan, wed giv u a RC Car race (remote controlled car race) and then turn up in tanks? MUAHHAHA :twisted:

RC CAR RACE!??!?!? thats an idea! oh and bout the first post in this thread, about people using the same skin. surely people can see others in game skins, just put an arrow above their head or something. using the same skin will get boring.

Will mods considered cheating in gta3mta 0.3 ?

I think they should not be considered cheating :arrow: a list could be made by somebody which included all the "legal" mods (which would have been decided earlier).

I know this would require a lot of work but it certainly is something to consider, don't you think so? :)