This is a Non-standard DFF

OtkBad

Hello, I'm facing a problem, I want to know which by the name of the topic, I've made a model, and I've been adding things to it, but when it arrives 4.50mb, from this error if I try to open it again, is there any solution? I took another model, I put the same things and gave it the same, I tested each thing on the model to see if any of those clothes would be "corrupting" the skin, but no, this only happens when the model weighs 4.50mb or more.

Edited by OtkBad
Just now, Tut said:

Este conversor tende a resolver o erro DFF fora do padrão.

https://www.gta-modding.com/area/file-1251-non-standard-dff-converter/fixer.html

O que geralmente causa esse erro é o DFF sendo criado a partir de exportadores usando dados desconhecidos para o importador que você está usando. Não sei por que isso ocorre com você quando atinge tamanhos de arquivo altos.

I already tried to use the converter, but it gives the error...
What I'm trying to do is a clothing system, only the model is missing, but as I said, the error happens every time the weight stays 4.50 or more, would that be a problem that the kam's script version? (I use 3ds max 2010)

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team

That error message occurs in 3DS Max, when you're trying to import a DFF into Kams plugin that wasn't created by an exporter that Kams supports well. It may also happen when the DFF is corrupted.

You're probably using the original (very old) version of Kams, because there is a newer one that got maintained at https://gtaforums.com/topic/907323-rel-kams-gta-scripts-2018-upd-31052020/, which added support for some types of "Non standard DFF", i believe at least from when the DFF was exported using common Blender DFF plugins, which was one of the most common reasons. Even though i would recommend this modern plugin instead of using Kams (even the updated one): https://gtaforums.com/topic/838479-dff-importer-and-exporter-for-3ds-max/. It's the best for many purposes, except for some niche uses that Kams excels at.

7 hours ago, OtkBad said:

I already tried to use the converter, but it gives the error...

Let me guess - it's an "invalid chunk" type of error. This again is a result of not all tools supporting eachother, due to some of them not applying the proper RW (DFF) format because their authors not understanding it thoroughly. As a side note, plugins with a proper DFF format is also beneficial for the game, again I really advise you use the link above for The_Hero's 3DS Max plugin.

You can still import the "invalid chunk" (as z2g converter tells you) using another plugin, and re-export it so it should work. But if you do that with, for example, The_Hero's plugin, you will have automatically solved the "Non-standard DFF" error anyways, so then you're already done. You will have solved it for the old version of Kams, let alone for the new version from goldfish (in case the reason was some sort of corruption, rather than an unknown exporter like from Blender).

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team
9 hours ago, OtkBad said:

I've made a model, and I've been adding things to it, but when it arrives 4.50mb, from this error if I try to open it again, is there any solution? I took another model, I put the same things and gave it the same, I tested each thing on the model to see if any of those clothes would be "corrupting" the skin, but no, this only happens when the model weighs 4.50mb or more.

Well actually, i didn't read exactly what you said - my post is applicable to "This is a Non-Standard DFF" error message in general.

In your case, if you are sure that you're using the same modelling program + DFF importer/exporter plugin at all times (which is still doubtful - otherwise the information I wrote about that part definately applies), you may have corrupted the DFF. That size is actually an indicator that something went wrong, as it would be hard especially for a skin model (considering you mentioned 'clothes') and then it will probably be of the type recursive corruption, that is when an exporter or conversion tool keeps writing DFF structures in a loop until you, or something, interrupts it. There are many DFF's that you can reproduce this phenomenon with (e.g a DFF that "rwconv" command-line tool for some reason doesn't support, and when you run it on that, it will output in a loop infinitely. It's like a hang on a certain part that it cannot intepret) and also this can be avoided by first exporting it with another plugin before (as in my example) using rwconv. Although that's not relevant to you, unless you have a back-up of the version right before you exported this "oversized, apparently broken" one, can restore it, and then idenify what exactly you did that made it incompatible with your plugin, causing it to write corruption.

You can ask, how do I know this can be what happaned in your case? Because you gotta mess up big time in order to make a skin model so unoptimized, with a size of 4.50MB - it's unlikely that you gradually did so. Which means, it probably happened all of a sudden through the introduction of corruption.

But if you really made it that unoptimized, who knows that your plugin doesn't support that, as it is plain unrealistic for a plugin to ever work with such a high poly skin model (different from vehicles: unoptimized vehicles can be like 30 MB, but unoptimized HQ skin models usually stay under, or just over, 1 MB.. yes, entirely a different standard) so the plugin author didn't count on users ever doing it, and then it might be a technical limitation. If that technical limitation exists, it might have surfaced while exporting (e.g now your DFF is corrupted, the plugin doesn't support writing such an unoptimized skin model) or only when reading it afterwards, so you cannot import it anymore. Intuitively, you'd say: let's try another plugin now.. but I really don't want you to mess up GTA with super unoptimized, for most users laggy, skin models either. This means it would be smart to wait until you provided us with the DFF, so we can check out what might have happened exactly.

You know, the sheer size of my 2 posts is exactly the reason why offering for us to check it is more convenient, because as you can see, there's tons of things that may cause this and that you can do wrong to end up in this situation. But it's informative for future visitors about this matter in general so better understand what can be behind it.

• Administrators

I don't recommend using the kam's scripts from 2018. It does not work very well from countless of tests and the old one definitely beats it in terms of skinned models.

The Hero's plugin does work great, but unfortunately it does not export skinned models.