Did you have a source within Rockstar?

NTAuthority

Question

I'm wondering, there are a lot of comments and such in the MTA source code that make me think 'who the heck wrote this? it must be somebody on the inside...' -- did any of the developers have/had a source within Rockstar? Think of code pieces like the following ones:

#ifndef FINALBUILD	
bool 	bStaticFrustum;
#endif	

// for debug keyboard stuff
#ifndef MASTER
unsigned char display_kbd_debug;
float kbd_fov_value;
#endif // MASTER

-- from CCamera.h: debug cameras have never, ever, been figured out. And even more so, such constants should have been set at GTA build, not at MTA build. :|

int 	m_iCheckCullZoneThisNumFrames; 
int 	m_iZoneCullFrameNumWereAt;
int 	WhoIsInControlOfTheCamera; //to discern between obbe and scripts

Same file, so you have Obbe Vermeij working for you? Not.

CVector m_cvecAimingTargetCoors;		// Coors to look at with Gordons aiming thing

Gordon Yeoman? Another R*N employee... this is starting to get suspicious...

bool				bDisablePlayerEnterCar;		// Script can set this so that the Enter Car button can be used to pick up objects
bool				bDisablePlayerDuck;			// Script can set this
bool				bDisablePlayerFireWeapon;	// Script can set this
bool				bDisablePlayerFireWeaponWithL1;	//	Script can set this - for Judith's mission where L1 is needed to pick up objects
bool				bDisablePlayerCycleWeapon;	// Script can set this
bool				bDisablePlayerJump;			// Script can set this

From CPadSA.h, which is strange. None of these script flags are known from the community scripting documentation (except the first), and I never heard of a 'Judith' working at R*. However, the 'author' of handling.cfg is also never credited.

float	FOV;
   float	FOVSpeed;
float	Beta;
float	BetaSpeed;
float	Distance; // 232
float	DistanceSpeed;
float 	CA_MIN_DISTANCE;
float 	CA_MAX_DISTANCE;
float	SpeedVar;
float	m_fCameraHeightMultiplier; //used by TwoPlayer_Separate_Cars_TopDown

CCam.h - the FOV flag has never been found out by anybody... and you know about TwoPlayer stuff? What does that have to do with MTA? Did R* leak .h files or something like that?

Again, my question: did any of the MTA developers have a source within R*N one day? This seems too suspicious to think not. :\

2 answers to this question

• MTA Team

As you are I'm sure aware, MTA was the first multiplayer mod for Grand Theft Auto, way back in 2003. Since then the team have built up substantial knowledge and understanding of GTA, and have always done their own research to develop the mod, not relying on external 'community' sources.

As such, whether anyone else has found where field-of-view is located, for example, has little bearing on whether MTA found it. It's likely the MTA source contains a wide range of functions and exposed variables that weren't known to the community before the mod was open sourced.

As I'm sure you also know, Rockstar have always been very supportive of Multi Theft Auto, and occasionally have provided information and guidance to assist with its development.