Ideas for permban system

robhol

So.. I thought we could brainstorm for a bit here. Due to DP2's regrettable lack of a reliable way to ban someone (IP bans take, what, like 15 seconds to evade? :x ) I started making my own system, I use various methods, none of which I will describe here, for obvious reasons, but the more methods, the more security, helping keeping cheaters, as well as other assorted pests, away.

Any way that might help the server identify a certain person without risk of confusing said person with another one, server side or client side, is of interest.

Someone had a cookie system or something, not really a good method for bans, but might work until the cheater isn't so stupid anymore and just deletes it. :P

Forcing to use accounts and /register is another way, but can be created over and over again.

Serials are not an option. (obviously, and unfortunately...)

Sending a virus to someone cheating is illegal... Boooo.... I call it justice! :)

Preventing the cheating before seems to be the best method. Out of my experience a lot of cheaters have 250000% vehicle health when they're inside a car. You can check this and make sure this player will experience discomfort. :P

So I don't know what kind of idea's you have got, but I don't think you'll get too far without serials... :(

Registering is the best way to discourage cheaters imo. It's obviously easy to switch IP address. However even to persistent cheaters getting a new account every time is demoralizing. But I am not a big fan of water proof security "systems" to be honest. It's too easy to cheat in GTA based multiplayer mods and all those security measurements can seriously scare even honest players off.

Gamesnert, I didn't ask for methods that don't work... :|

Also, you can't effectively prevent cheating in any other way than kicking/banning.

Look, not even a single method might work. There is always a way of evading! You need to stay realistic and take disadvantages into account! That's what I did.

And you can't effectively prevent cheating, I know. But atleast it is a way of preventing it! Only not really effective! :P

So you can't actually prevent cheating, and you can't prevent people coming back after a ban. You can make it harder for them, and that's the only thing you can do at the moment. But even these have a disadvantage, like Ace said! They can also be scaring honest players off... Makes me think of the EA DRM... (which epically failed >.<)

That leaves the score to:

Returning banned people: 5863142

People trying to ban them: 0

So let's wait for DP3... =/

First off, the methods I am looking for, will only be used manually, when the judgement of trusted administrators dictates they should.

Second, I didn't ask people (that is mainly to say, you, Gamesnert) about how to use it, when to use it, whether to use it or pretty much anything except for what I did ask in the first post.

whats needed is for the mta team to create a massive db of lots of serials totally different, i have made a mini one, then when a player registers a account add them to the db, like instead of using a external website to create the serials hook there allready made system up to the db :D

Can we PLEASE stay on topic?

I seem to remember the topic being "Ideas for permban system", not "What the MTA team should do", "Someone had a cookie system or something", "This is a bad idea" or for that matter, "what I had for lunch today".

A cookie like system that places an xml file that looks inconspicuously in a random resource on the client. The good thing about xml functions is that you can create and save the file as for example "thumbs.dll". This and the fact that the file is placed in random resources would make it really hard for a person to find it. (Except he read this post :D)

A cookie like system that places an xml file that looks inconspicuously in a random resource on the client. The good thing about xml functions is that you can create and save the file as for example "thumbs.dll". This and the fact that the file is placed in random resources would make it really hard for a person to find it. (Except he read this post :D)

I already thought of that, but what if the user deletes his whole resource cache? ZAP! Protection gone.

(Oh, and gold medal for actually sticking to the topic here ;))

Server side ban basis on the hardware? :lol:

For example the MAC

Not possible to change it, until you change your harware - because of a ban xD:P

Except that there is no way you can calculate a hardware hash since MTA does not provide low level functionality on the client side and MAC addresses are easy to change as do IP's.

i have an idea :D

when player join create a file in a random resource cache and endcript when players enter read this file and if a banned player ban again if not, can play :D

sorry for ma english

Mentioned before. Problem is, banned person can wipe his resource cache.