Official MTA Public Roadmap

Currently, you can find Milestones on GitHub that track the intended updates for the next MTA release, as well as other issues for future releases (backlog).https://github.com/multitheftauto/mtasa-blue/milestones

There are also several project boards on GitHub that track the progress of certain topics like Framerate fixes. https://github.com/multitheftauto/mtasa-blue/projects?type=classic

I feel like these methods of showing the goals for the platform are limited. The milestones are just plain lists of GitHub issues and pull requests, with no categorization other than basic labels (ie. enhancement or bug).

I believe that Multi Theft Auto should have a central development roadmap, like any major work-in-progress project, that lists the general goals for the platform and its services: we are talking not only about MTA:SA-Blue (the GTA:SA multiplayer mod), but also about its web services (like community.multitheftauto.com that should be modernized), and other plans. It is not a small project. It seems crucial that the objectives are organized in categories, and also sorted by priority that is according to the MTA Staff, Contributors and the community's general interest, as well as how everything spans across time.

Why not create a Wiki page, a forum thread or a dedicated web page for this purpose? MTA still has a lot of improvements to make, and this would be a step towards more transparency and coherence. Everyone would appreciate having easy access to such information on the development process & plans. I often see people criticize MTA Staff for their lack of communication on the development of the main MP mod.

PS. I know this Roadmap wiki page exists, but it pointed to a Roadmap on the old Bug Mantis, which essentially just became the GitHub milestones we have today. I believe something more detailed is necessary, like described above.

Opinions?

• Like 3

It's important to keep evolving instead of getting stuck in the past. can't keep it 2007 all the time. If we don't move forward or move too slowly, we risk losing people's interest.

". I often see people criticize MTA Staff for their lack of communication on the development of the main MP mod." i agree with this.

Edited by Carl Rayanitch DZ
1 hour ago, Carl Rayanitch DZ said:

It's important to keep evolving instead of getting stuck in the past. can't keep it 2007 all the time.

Let's not be extreme like that, MTA isn't exactly stuck in time, it has evolved a lot over the years, although slowly.

A roadmap of this nature would be beneficial for showcasing the project's big goals and give people an overview and better understanding of the necessary progress. I can't see any cons/downsides.

Edited by FernandoMTA
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, FernandoMTA said:

Let's not be extreme like that, MTA isn't exactly stuck in time, it has evolved a lot over the years, although slowly.

A roadmap of this nature would be beneficial for showcasing the project's big goals and give people an overview and better understanding of the necessary progress. I can't see any cons/downsides.

absolutely, hope they won't say no as they usually do since it's easy to just disagree lol

Edited by Carl Rayanitch DZ
  • 2 months later...

Taking a look at those milestones really says a lot about the project. It's appears to not in a state of decline per-se, but rather maintenance. I think the world has largely moved on from GTA SA whether we like it or not. There's a tonne of much cooler tech for developers to play with in other mods. There's a tonne of much cooler gameplay mechanics for players in other mods. There's a way more active, motivated and committed teams running those other mods. I think we should be very glad there is still a team here, no matter how small, who still share the passion for the game and want to keep it going. I don't think the excitement or commitment from the MTA Team is the same as what it was 10 years ago. And to be honest, I don't blame them.

What do you gain from a roadmap that has a few cool pie-in-the-sky features, but mostly details small improvements, maintenance and platform upkeep? Because to be honest, that's what the roadmap would likely be. Small iterative fixes and improvements are worthy of talking about, I agree. It comes back to this team are doing this in their free time. I would rather they spend their time on MTA on keeping it alive, rather than busywork like updating superfluous roadmaps.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/05/2024 at 02:37, Noki said:

Taking a look at those milestones really says a lot about the project. It's appears to not in a state of decline per-se, but rather maintenance. I think the world has largely moved on from GTA SA whether we like it or not. There's a tonne of much cooler tech for developers to play with in other mods. There's a tonne of much cooler gameplay mechanics for players in other mods. There's a way more active, motivated and committed teams running those other mods. I think we should be very glad there is still a team here, no matter how small, who still share the passion for the game and want to keep it going. I don't think the excitement or commitment from the MTA Team is the same as what it was 10 years ago. And to be honest, I don't blame them.

What do you gain from a roadmap that has a few cool pie-in-the-sky features, but mostly details small improvements, maintenance and platform upkeep? Because to be honest, that's what the roadmap would likely be. Small iterative fixes and improvements are worthy of talking about, I agree. It comes back to this team are doing this in their free time. I would rather they spend their time on MTA on keeping it alive, rather than busywork like updating superfluous roadmaps.

Solid reply. I think the biggest priority right now is fixing the issue with Lua injectors, with this people will be able to play uninterrupted again. This has caused no-end of problems for community and server owners as well as players alike unfortunately, as well as shutting down a lot of communities and servers, this would of drove players away.

On 05/06/2024 at 23:46, TMTMTL said:

Solid reply. I think the biggest priority right now is fixing the issue with Lua injectors, with this people will be able to play uninterrupted again. This has caused no-end of problems for community and server owners as well as players alike unfortunately, as well as shutting down a lot of communities and servers, this would of drove players away.

Well there are C# / C++ injectors or there are injectors for every game as we see in last few years a lot of online games that i play got cheats which were not a thing back in time so all you can do is fix or secure your scripts and make an anti-cheat for your server because to keep an anti-cheat up to date is a lot of work. But if you have your own one that does not need new updates every day/week only once at a certain time.

On 11/05/2024 at 02:37, Noki said:

I would rather they spend their time on MTA on keeping it alive, rather than busywork like updating superfluous roadmaps.

Who says it needs to be the same people who develop that maintain a roadmap? It takes little effort to have things like that on the web for the public to see. There used to be someone in charge as a Community Ambassador. Why not have it as a plus, not as a distraction...