Packet loss/lag

Hey when playing the game over network. It works Ok, but the cars seem to move a big jump every second. looking at my hub (physical) before game, the lights are constantly blinking between both machines, but as soon as the game begins, then the hub lights only flicker between each machine like once a second and everytime it blinks the opponents car jumps like 50M a time. Very hard to guage.

I wandard if this was a bug, or sommat. All my other games such as CS or HL work fine at a ping of 10 for my opponent.

Thanks guys!!

i suggest to wait for 0.3b, it has a whole new and improved netcode. It uses only 0.175kb/s/player. It is less then BF1942

Does that mean this will have less lag than BF if say they were using the same server? Or am I just a f00l? :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

as for the bad netcode w/ 0.2, its nto really packetloss.. its because its using TCP.. w/ a tcp connection everytime one side sends a packet, the other side sends a response... (this ensures the data always gets there... ie no packetloss) the problem with that is, your speed is cut in half..

with UDP, (the protocol 0.3 uses) there is no response for packets being sent. Therefore, its faster.. but less reliable... in this case there will be packet loss issues on some connections.... but its still faster.

Look at it this way.. if 1 out of 100 packets dont get to the other side, it doesn't really matter, as each packet is similar to the last one.. and the game can recover easily.

Hope that clears it up.

Kent