Hey Im Building...

[nWg]ScarFace3

hey i kno this has nothing to do with mta...but see i have a Counter-Strike Clan and i dont wanna pay monthly for a server....i was thinking of building a pc and only have an OS and Steam/Counter-Strike on it.....so i could run the deticated server program thingy that cums with steam......but i was wondering will this idea work...and wut r the kinda exact specs i should be looking for...and if u have ne ideas or recommendations...plz share with me....iighty thx in advance 8)

CS uses a dated engine so it doesn't require much work to get decent performance, plus it'll be dedicated.

i think it's mostly to do with u/d bandwidth, my friend runs a cs box sometimes on a 750mhz 512 ram, runs decent, but we are all within 5 miles, so that could be a factor too

CPUs are fairly cheap these days, so you could get a 2GHz and plug it full of RAM, and that should be super-fast.

Yep, should be Ok. I found that DDR massively improved performance on my system. The HDD doesn't really need to be that big if it only has CS and Steam on it, so you could save a bit of cash there.

RAM-wise it looks ok, and the CPU will probably be fine because HL needs a minimum of a 266, lol.

Are you planning to have bots playing as well? This will affect server performance.

I don't think you can get 1GHz P3's any more, so I think you'll have to look on eBay. Should be able to get them quite cheaply.

Or you could get the cheapest new processor - the cheapest one I can find (in the UK) is a 1.7Ghz P4 which is priced at £30, which is approximately $50.