IDEA...

It would be possible as it is, if you gave each player that joined a different normal skin, then replaced the original skin with the personal skin... Problem would be the skins would have to download before you created the player which would take quite some time on slow connections... Well, it could be around 700 KB-1MB for a full 32 player server...

If you were to do it on a gang basis, I'm sure someone could write a mod that'd do this and just download the 2 (or whatever) different skins to the clients when they connect and use them. That'd be more practical, assuming each skin is about 30KB (the standard ped ones are anyway).

eAi

900 posts!

It would be possible as it is, if you gave each player that joined a different normal skin, then replaced the original skin with the personal skin... Problem would be the skins would have to download before you created the player which would take quite some time on slow connections... Well, it could be around 700 KB-1MB for a full 32 player server...

If you were to do it on a gang basis, I'm sure someone could write a mod that'd do this and just download the 2 (or whatever) different skins to the clients when they connect and use them. That'd be more practical, assuming each skin is about 30KB (the standard ped ones are anyway).

eAi

your right that would b a problem but what if u could create the player while in game? lets say u pause the game go to options and create a player skin or w/e and create your player there? would that still be a problem?

I know alot of ppl denied the idea of having custom player skins, but it would be really nice if that was possible. I mean so that the gangs that we have now on MTA could have their own appearance etc. etc.

i think it is a good idea..

lets say u pause the game go to options and create a player skin or w/e and create your player there? would that still be a problem?

I don't see why that isn't possible..

Couldnt something be set up like this:

>player joins game with custom skin OR edits it in pause menu

>new player's client pings the server with the gif

>sever pings gif to all clients that have "download custom skins" checked in their mta copy

>if a client chooses not to dl custom skins, a random skin, that hasn't been assigned to anyone in the game yet, could be given to the new player. Mta would then come standard with 31 misc skins, so if 31 unique players joined the game each skin would be used.

>using simple parsing, the same local skin could be reused based on the players name. for example: the mta client randomly assigns one texture to all players with "[KFC]" in the begining of their name...

thus ppl concerned about bandwidth can opt to not dl textures, whilst others can.

Plus the server needs to be able to allow \ disallow custom skins.

lets say u pause the game go to options and create a player skin or w/e and create your player there? would that still be a problem?

I don't see why that isn't possible..

Couldnt something be set up like this:

>player joins game with custom skin OR edits it in pause menu

>new player's client pings the server with the gif

>sever pings gif to all clients that have "download custom skins" checked in their mta copy

>if a client chooses not to dl custom skins, a random skin, that hasn't been assigned to anyone in the game yet, could be given to the new player. Mta would then come standard with 31 misc skins, so if 31 unique players joined the game each skin would be used.

>using simple parsing, the same local skin could be reused based on the players name. for example: the mta client randomly assigns one texture to all players with "[KFC]" in the begining of their name...

thus ppl concerned about bandwidth can opt to not dl textures, whilst others can.

Plus the server needs to be able to allow \ disallow custom skins.

that sounds very good. well thought

I was thinking about this earlier. Since a lot of gangs would like their own custom skins for their team, couldn't the skin be transmitted by each person who has it in segments to new players that join the server (kind of like the methods that file sharing programs use)? That way it doesn't affect the server's bandwidth and each player only experiences a small drop in bandwidth.

It only works if more than one person has the skin, but I think it'd be a good system for gang wars.

Jon: Then you'd be giving out the other players's IPs to anyone who joined, which leads to ddos/lag attacks on players. Generally games avoid giving out ips to players for this reason. Only small games do this (often on consoles), where one player hosts. In this case all the players need to know the other player's IPs, but as consoles are a fairly self-contained so this isn't an issue.

eAi