Is is Bad to use Open Source resources?

Mr.ShariQ

Hello Guys,

Is it bad to use "Open source" source scripts? because a few people critisize it by calling "Leaked".

My friend is using Nerd Gaming resources to make a enjoayble server but a few people critisize it by calling "Leaked scripts"

Why did people release their scripts on Github? Because players can use them. so whats wrong? Please give answers

Thanks a lot.

Positive and negative both comments are appreciated

Yes but they really don't get it and makes fight in the server by calling them "Leaked script"

I take that as Disrespect because its "Open Source" and everyone is allowed to use it and for sure once developers or scripters release their code on Github then surly people will try it and may use it.

But what to do with "Those" kind of people

• 3 weeks later...

Those who accuse are also responsible to prove their accusations, your "counter-proof" in this case are the license used for the open source resources you're using. As you can see on Github Nerd Gaming uses the MIT license, Personally I prefer GPL v3 or later as it provides more freedom for improvements and changes, but both are in fact open source and free to use.

That's no proof at all. Anyone can upload some code to GitHub and say it is licensed under the GPLv3 license. Does that necessarily mean the code wasn't leaked? No.

As a user you have to trust the license choosed by the author, I'm not saying it's easy to know exactly what's leaked or legal to use. It's something you have to consider for yourself. In some cases it's more obvious than others.

For instance, a project with only a license, a poor description and all files where uploaded at the same time by the same person has the typical signs of a leaked project.

Although I never seen a leaked project with a proper license, other than a single case where the thief forgot to remove the name of the original author. I was looking at the user perspective in this case and not the whole problem with leaked software, if you have any ideas yourself of typical signs of leaked code you may share them as well as it may help those who try to be honest and only use code they are allowed to use.