Local Character Selection

b0b0

Wouldn't it save bandwidth and reduce load on the server if the character selection sequence was done locally by the client? What I mean is it would be better if the only data that was sent to the server during the character selection sequence was the final choice. This would solve the bug where an actor that is actually a player in character selection mode appears on the radar. When a player dies, he would be desynced from the game when he returns to the character screen. When he makes his choice, this data would be sent to the server, he would be synced into the game again, and he would spawn.

b0b0: Its really pointless giving us suggestions like this. I know you mean well, its just we have a new core on its way, which nothing is known about (so you can't make suggestions for it), and we're not making any changes to the 0.4 core.

eAi

b0b0: Its really pointless giving us suggestions like this. I know you mean well, its just we have a new core on its way, which nothing is known about (so you can't make suggestions for it), and we're not making any changes to the 0.4 core.

eAi

giving suggestions is what you have a whole forum section for! i wouldnt say suggestions are pointless, cause it's conceivable that people have good ideas....

This has been considered before, and rejected. I'm sure most players are aware what often happens when u 'pause' and then return to the game, you crash shortly afterwards. Handling spawn choice in the way you suggest would be the same, you'd effectively be paused, recieving and sending no data. The alternative, disconnecting entirely to choose, then reconnecting to spawn, would have all sorts of problems, loss of your place on the server and your score for instance.

Could the character selection menu possibly be built as a local ingame gui, kind of like that serverlist from the teaser video?

Then you would have to disconnect each time you wanted a new skin/carreer (spelling?) and that wouldnt be good at all.