Server was online but now cant be seen

i have had my server up and running in the server browser and had a game with my friend online

now he cant find my server :(

i have looked through the server log and when it was working online my router had changed

my ip address (192.168.2.7 to 192.168.2.8 )

i had to change the port settings and config file but it worked fine

now im back on ( 192.168.2.7 ) and he cant find me

i have checked that all settings ports and config are right but no joy

i have also tried changing my ip address in windows but that just seems to kill my internet

sorry system specs

celeron d 2.4 ghz , 1.0 gb ram , windows xp home , geforce 5900 ultra

ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED!! :D

(Dont bother to read if you dont own a Router)

Heavy Air, in order to do port fowarding to an IP address you need to set whats called a "Static IP" on your workstation, and also change the routers DHCP settings.

I can allready see that your router is dishing out IP's in the following range: 192.168.2.2 -> 192.168.2.254 (I guess it starts at .2)

What you need to do is login to your routers control panel and goto DHCP settings, in there (if ur router is good enough) you should be able to change the start and ending IP addresses that your router gives to workstations that connect to your system.

First off change the Starting Ip address, for example lets say we wanted to free up 2 IP addresses to be used as a static IP on Workstations you have at your home and your routers starting IP was 192.168.2.2, You would change the starting IP to 192.168.2.4, this gives us two IP addresses to be used as a static address which are: 192.168.2.2, 192.168.2.3.

Change the port fowarding to foward to one of these new IP addresses that you have assigned

Once thats done, you need to change your workstations IP address to the static address that your assigned in your routers port fowarding, from reading your old post you allready know how to change your IP address, but not how to do it correctly (as you internet died) - Follow these steps to find out your settings.

start > run > cmd > ipconfig > press enter

here you can see your current system IP address, your subnet mask and your default gateway (which is your router).

Begin by typing in the static IP you assigned in the router into your workstations TCP/IP Properties window, then copy your subnet mask, and assign the default gateway as it reads out in ipconfig... You only have one DNS server which is also your default gateway.

This way your able to foward ports to your workstaton without having to change the port fowarding settings every time the router changes your IP address, and also you know what your IP address is around the home if you have more than one workstation.

Hope this helps and its not confusing.