Dark spots on vehicle parts, bad shading(?)

Dzsozi (h03)

Hi! I was trying to make a custom vehicle based on the idaho and the vice city premier. It turned out fine it was working, except the normals/shading/reflection. I don't know why, and I can't figure out how to fix it, but I have some strange darker parts on my vehicle, but it's fine in 3ds max. I am using kam's scripts and 3ds 2010.

I did weld vertices at a 0.001 setting and with 4 pixels target.

I did parts of this tutorial (as I mentioned above the smoothing, UV mapping the 2nd channel (xvehicleenv128))

I also did mess around with the material settings, but I am using an Ambient of 0.45, Spec, Diff of 1, Glossiness of 20 and Spec/Ref Blend of 0,5 so I don't know if the problem is there.

I also did reset the normals on the chassis and the doors, by converting the model to editable poly, and using the Edit Normals modifier from the dropdown list.

Nothing seems to fix the issue. What am I missing here?

The model looks kind of flat as well, or IDK, it looks strange. How can I fix this? I would like to achieve a SA style default vehicle look.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thank you for the help in advance!

UPDATE: I managed to achieve some steps in a good direction by closing my 3ds scene file, opening a new one, importing this model and not doing 0,001 welding, then exporting again, now my model looks like this:

spacer.png

Edited by Dzsozi (h03)

UPDATE 2: I changed Spec/Ref Blend back to default, which is I believe is 0.09, also repeated the steps in this tutorial on every poly surface of the chassis and doors 

And exported and imported the model again to 3ds max, then exported again for the game, now it seems like the problems have been fixed for now.

• Administrators

If you were using Kam's script to import the models into 3ds Max, this would be why you're having issues with the model's normals. Kam's breaks vertices/normals and so, it's generally not the best option for vehicles. The Hero's plugin has an option for importing models with explicit normals, and this means the model will be imported with its own existing normals. Unfortunately, Kam's and The Hero's aren't very compatible with eachother so you will have to use GTA_Helper to convert materials.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for not responding, meanwhile I solved the problem and this topic went unnoticed by me. I solved it by using Kam's updated scripts made by gold_fish ([REL] KAM's GTA Scripts (2018) / UPD: 31.05.2020 / - Tools - GTAForums). I read that this updated script supports exporting and importing normals and also reflections, therefore the problems were solved. Also I think I had some issues with the model itself, I was playing around with the smoothing groups and etc.

Using the updated scripts solves the problem, however I will have to remake my model tho.

This topic can be locked. 

• Tut locked this topic