ATI Radeon 7500

Hi,

I downloaded and installed the newest version of MTA SA, in which won't run on my IBM Thinkpad T40 with ATI Radeon 7500 (32MB). As San Andreas itself runs superb, I have no idea as to why I get a very dull green screen right the way through (except for the Rockstar video).

I couldn't find MTA SA R1.1.0, so if someone has it or has a recommendation on how to fix it, then please advise. BTW, I don't have a PC to play it on or the money to purchase one after buying this laptop. If that's your answer, then don't reply - i don't want to hear how shit my laptop is and how uber 1337 a PC is. If it's not going to run on my laptop, that's all I want to know.

Thanks,

Orb!ter

• MTA Team

I want to point to you that your graphics card does not even meet the system requirements of GTA:SA .

Rockstart itself recommends a graphics card with at least 64MB. And i can even guess that your card uses shared memory.

Beleive me when i say that SA does not run superb on your system, if you would see it compared to a system that meets the requirements you would notice the difference.

Add to that that MTA increases the system requirements due to the fact that we add additional 3D stuff and that our software also requires system memory and processor time.

Even if you are able to install and run MTA then there is the additional problem of low framerate. Since the speed of vehicles is based on that frame rate you will notice that you will be slower then most people playing MTA.

Beleive me when i say that SA does not run superb on your system, if you would see it compared to a system that meets the requirements you would notice the difference.

It runs superb in 800x600 with low quality textures, and it is not shared memory. Considering that it runs flawlessly with perfect frame rate, I would expect MTA to run. I sold my PC with an ATi Radeon 9800 256MB which obviously ran it much better... but it runs fine on my laptop - and considering that it is running now with no dropouts (MTA that is) or less Frames Per Second, the system requirements mean squat.

Have a nice day,

Orb!ter

EDIT: JonChappel, that's precisely what I did to make it work...

No problems. My laptop runs everything on 25FPS for some reason, even the menus... except for 60FPS before the game starts. none the less, it's smooth as... This is:

- 800x600

- about 1/2 Draw Distance

- MIP Mapping

- Medium Texture Detail

- Frame Limiter ON

- Anti-Aliasing OFF (because who cares in 800x600 about AA)

The specs of the laptop are:

IBM ThinkPad T40

Intel Pentium-M 1.5GHz (Centrino with L2 Cache of 1MB)

32MB ATI Radeon 7500

512MB of RAM

40GB HDD (5400RPM)

The game takes alot more to load, and compared to my 9800 I did have, it runs shithouse. But then again, running in 800x600 with Medium detail doesn't actually concern me. It slows down to 20FPS in the city in medium detail, but if in low - it's actually not bad. I also expect it to. In MTA, the fps is generally better, becausse there are no peds and only a few cars. Anyway, check the screenshot at:

http://cradanka.yi.org/personal/GTASAonT40.PNG

The specs of the laptop are:

IBM ThinkPad T40

Intel Pentium-M 1.5GHz (Centrino with L2 Cache of 1MB)

32MB ATI Radeon 7500

512MB of RAM

40GB HDD (5400RPM)

Rockstart itself recommends a graphics card with at least 64MB. And i can even guess that your card uses shared memory.

Minimum Hardware Requirements:

1GHz Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon Processor

256 MB of RAM

8 speed DVD-ROM Drive

3.6 GB of free Hard Disk space for a minimal install

64 MB Video Card with DirectX 9 compatible drivers

("GeForce3" or better)

DirectX 9 compatible Stereo Sound Card

Keyboard

Mouse

Recommended Hardware Requirements:

Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP processor (or better)

384(+) MB of RAM

16 speed DVD-ROM drive

4.7 GB of free Hard Disk space for a full install

128(+) MB Video Card with DirectX 9 compatible drivers

("GeForce4" or better)

DirectX 9 compatible Surround Sound Card

Game pad with twin axis analogue controls (USB or Joystick Port)

Keyboard

Mouse

This is taken from the GTA SA Readme. So your laptop does not meet rockstars graphics card recommendations. You should always look at the reccomended rather than the minimum - because the minimum is only for you to at least play the game and the recommended is for smooth play.

Yet another person who didn't read the entire post. First of all, I said that it runs fine on my laptop. If you read down further, JonChapells response fixed my problem with the video card drivers. Not only that, this post is here to find out what the problem was. If you read what I said fully, you will discover that I had a PC capable of playing it, and now I own a laptop since selling it. I have had San Andreas for a while now, and to be told that i should read the box is pathetic. Generally the Minimum System Requirements are a bunch of hooey anyway. For example, I have managed to get Windows XP Pro running on a 512k Video Card with an underclocked Pentium 133MHz Processor at 25MHz. (now, that's another story).

Sorry if my IBM ThinkPad T40 does not meet the system requirements and therefore does not run San Andreas - whoops, maybe I am imagining the game running on my laptop at top speeds? Now I am confused?

EDIT: Sorry for my poor choice of words: superb. I used that to mean that the game runs very well on my laptop given it's specifications. I had a PC that it ran on, and the PC shits on the laptop. I know the laptop has a weaker video card. But still - it doesn't mean that it doesn't run well.

It cannot always run at top speeds like a better computer. You see, I said that your laptop soes not meet requirements, but it may still run smooth. When a whole bunch of action comes, it would lag, but almost will not lag if you had a PC meeting the requirements. AND I did read the entire topic before posting. What I said had nothing to do with the video drivers. Your computer is running with minimal graphics anyway, so it shouldn't lag much.