Tips for a roleplay server

TheCapn

Hello guys,

Could anyone of you give me tips in order to build a RP server ? I don't ask for perfection, but I would like to be well-organized ..

What should I code first ?

I know the question is a bit strange, but this topic might regroup all the tips / things not to do for a RP server.

Regards,

Keep in your mind that you server needs to be unique, because most of mta roleplay servers are copies from vG (exceptions).

You need to start working on the gamemode which the basic of your server.Try to have a quick look on some rp servers that may help you aswell.

First, think what you want in your roleplay, so make a TO-DO list.

Second, think about the design.

And last, start scripting with whatever you want, if you want to script in a chronological way then you should start of with the login panel, spawn, the base code, stats(with a costum resource where you can call functions, so that you can trigger it faster), the real need-to-have things, the low piority things, etc..

Edit: and like Vince said, be unique, don't steal ideas or designs from other servers..

Regards,

Danny

Get the vital features such as an account system, inventory system, asset ownership and interiors in general and so forth. Get some of the core features the VG script has to par with their standards.

Think about redundancy. Make export functions you can re-use. It'll save you a lot of work. You don't really need anything special because nobody cares about it anyway.

Announce your script only when it's near-done or people might get hyped up and get disappointed.

But not sure if a project of this size would be really worth it at this point in time, though that's probably not what you want to hear. If you want to go from scratch alone, be ready to put months of work into it.

Best of luck!

And make sure you have better than average designers to work with logos and design in general. If you don't know what each feature in Illustrator/Photoshop do, you should let some designer do it for you.

And to get a bump on the server, I suggest you get all your friends and tell them to contact their friends and just spread the word around. Spreading a word is the best advertisement technique and to be honest all the ad topics in here just cause problems, rather than some good.

And keep your server as unique as possible. Revamp everything you've seen before.