peds for mta

zopy

With NPC traffic MTA would become more popular. But everybody waits for somebody to do something for them instead of doing the work themselves. Well, then it's one man's job to make MTA popular. I wonder who will be the one.

I would like that peds can be client-side. I mean creating by client, like players. When you spawn in a zone, al least 20 peds will spawn in the zone that you are, and the peds take player's bandwith not server's, like GTA IV Multiplayer.

Please, tell what do you think about this. If MTA Team would do it, MTA gonna own.

There has been the stimilar situation with bone attachments: everyone wanted them, but nobody scripted them. So I had to script them. It's the same about peds: many people want NPC traffic, but they're just waiting. And I feel like I don't really have time to make it. People would better start acting, not just wait and watch.

This could be done, to a certain extent just with scripting and if anyone actually wanted this apart from the person who made this poorly formatted request they would have made a resource which added some peds on the street and they could be partially synced, you wouldn't want too much bandwidth usage just for this.

I doubt if MTA will beat SA-MP in player count if community is going to always wait for something, but do nothing. SA-MP community isn't so special in any way either, but because most people are used to it, they won't move to MTA unless they see something unique and original. If MTA servers used all potential of the mod, SA-MP players would see more point in switching to MTA, but no - its community is just waiting. I'd rather like to see NPC traffic scripted and not released, but used in the server by resource author.

Its kind of hard to beat them at player count when we don't know how many of their players are fake right now there are 6 servers 500/500 passworded which are clearly fake and for all we know many other servers are faking their player count.

CrystalMV you're very right, no MTA servers go any where near the full potential of MTA SA. Even the most popular server is no where near as good as it could be. Maybe if we started working more as a community than as server hosts (something I'm guilty of (I do my bit for map editor though!)) we could achieve so much more and let so many more players see the true potential of MTA SA, which is something none of us have never seen simply because no server or gamemode has ever used every single scripting function and event.

Funny how I've gone off topic but I feel quite inspired now to do more for the whole MTA SA community and maybe turn some of the waiters into doers.

It's not difficult to do for one person either. I once had made NPCs walking all over the map:

. Unfortunately, I lost the script, but I wasn't going to giving to anyone either. It wasn't very hard to make it. It took me a week or two to script ped spawning/walking and to create path nodes everywhere NPCs should walk.
  • Discord Moderators

You're right CrystalMV, it's not hard to create peds over the map using path nodes, but for a feature with such interest, it is in my opinion important to create a very flexible and efficient resource that is able to anticipate many different situations involved with these peds. A physical MTA element like a ped needs syncing, how do you decide a reliable syncer? It would look correct on his screen, but what about the rest?

Position is synced, so is element data and that's enough to keep the ped synced. I've seen people who wanted to have server-side setPedControlState, so that they could fully control ped from the server. Still, I don't see the point in this as control states involve physics, which are only available for client. Server could use element data to set the task for the ped and client should do the rest of the job. Look at my house killer script:

. The only thing synced by this script is killer's target, set via element data. Client uses this data to navigate killer to the target and attack, using setPedControlState. Even though every client controls the killer on its own, they control it in the same way because the primary data (position and task) is synced. I tested the script with another player and saw no desync.
  • Discord Moderators

How does that technique work on the bigger scale? When you start pushing the peds away? Run them over? I might have low FPS, the ped will walk slowly, I will run it over, but the ped walked out of the vehicle's range on another person's screen. Your video doesn't show what happens when a player warps straight into the action. Judging by your technique he will run from the bedroom to the target again, unless the target distributes the position information, and let the new client do the job from there?

What does my technique have to do with ped physics sync? No matter in which way you control peds, there will be the same desync problems, unless you sync the physics yourself. The point is, ped is always in position where syncer sees him and that's enough to prevent him from desyncing too much. If you want better ped physics sync, then it should rather be another script, not involving AI.