Server Issue. Help :S

spillon

Question

Hi all,

As you can see I'm new here. My name's spillon, and I'm pleased to meet you all. I'm looking forward to joining the community here - I really enjoy GTA SA and thought it was time I got MTA on my computer and became a part of this wonderful community.

Anyway, I just thought I'd say hello and just wondered whether anyone would be able to help me with a little issue I've been having.

Before anyone writes anything or reads any further - take note that I know there are many other posts like this one, and that I've already read a dozen of them (and searched google), but still haven't seemed to be able to solve my problem. I last resorted to posting on here to see if anyone could help, since I feel like I've tried most things I and others could think of, and I couldn't find a solution that worked for me. I'll try be specific as possible with my problem, so that someone can hopefully help me, which I'd really appreciate.

As the title suggests, and as most of you are probably guessing as I take it's a fairly common problem, no servers are coming up for me when I "browse servers" in MTA.

I have GTA SA installed on my laptop and just downloaded and installed MTA. Yet no servers show, 0/0, even when I refresh.

Now here's the deal - my brothers just downloaded MTA and installed it on their laptops at about the exact same time and it works perfectly fine on theirs. So what does this lead us to believe? That it is most likely a problem to do with my laptop - not my internet connection, as we share the same wireless network and my internet works fine, as well as my connection to the network.

So I was trying to think what was different about my laptop than theirs? Well the main things are I have AVG antivirus which they don't, and I am running Windows 7, whereas they are running XP.

So first I thought it may be AVG with the firewall restricting the program or something. I tried adding "GTA_SA.exe" in the "GTA San Andreas" folder and "Multi Theft Auto.exe" in the "MTA San Andreas" folder as well as "MTA Server.exe" to excluded files in resident shield in Advanced Settings. I also added the directories. This didn't help so then I added them all to allowed applications in the AVG Firewall settings. This didn't work either. I also tried enabling gaming mode to no avail.

To confirm it wasn't an issue with AVG, I completely turned AVG firewall off and it still wouldn't work.

I then tried doing the same with Windows Firewall, adding all three programs to exceptions, allowing all traffic, inbound and outbound. Still not showing any servers.

By now I had searched and viewed many posts on this forum as well as on google, all about windows 7, AVG, Windows Firewall and about MTA.

Now here's what's more interesting: I tried going to the link: http://www.game-monitor.com/GameSearch/ ... -Auto.html which was suggested in another post, and was able to enter a link into my url bar by copying the code from the little launch buttons, but adding "sa" onto the end of the "mta" protocol (e.g. mtasa://217.18.71.23:22003/).

What's interesting is that this worked, and opened up my MTA program and started up the connection, entering the game. I thought I had a eureka moment and went back to check, but still couldn't bring up ANY servers when browsing for servers, no matter how many times I refreshed.

The only other thing I can think why this would be happeneing, is because of Windows 7, which is the only major thing different about my laptop and those of my brothers. I thought it could possibly be something to do with Windows 7 and all it's security settings which can sometimes be extremely annoying. I did note that when I entered the above link into my address bar, it asked me via a security notice whether to let MTA.exe connect to the internet and to tick a box to always allow it to do so. I did, and clicked yes. However I'm wondering how to do the same for GTA_SA.exe and GTA server.exe which may solve the issue. Or it may not. I don't know. Which is why I'm asking everyone here to see if they possibly recognise the problem and/or hopefully know the solution.

As I mentioned my internet works fine, as does GTA:SA and MTA runs perfectly fine too. It's just that it doesn't show any servers. I've also tried uninstalling MTA and reinstalling it completely and I have the latest version (downloaded today).

I'm running Windows 7 Professional 32bit.

Is anyone able to help? Your help will be greatly appreciated, as I'm really looking forward to starting MTA and getting involved in this really nice community.

Thanks.

spillon

4 answers to this question

Wow.

This is really long post, written in well-language, I'm ipressed :P

First thing you for sure want to know:

Application that connects to internet is gta_sa.exe, not Multi Theft Auto.exe, or something.

So this application need to have enabled access to internet.

I bet it's a Windows 7 problem - Windows "protections" gets more and more complicated and confusing since Vista.

What can I suggest you? Hmm.. My first attempt would be to remove AVG. Not disable. Remove. AV'es services often remain silently active, when disabled, still filterning something (like in Kaspersky - which is the least annoying, and still very good AV. I'm not using any if you ask me. AV'es are only for getting money. Better invest in good firewall, and you won't get infected. You seems to be smart enough for firewall, popping up every 15 minutes with something - most ppl just click "allow" on all - making firewall useless.)

2nd thing you can do - try to find how to disable some kind of "hidden" and "magical" Win 7 protections. Google will help you. I never used Windows 7, only installed it 2 times for somebody else.

3rd.. hmm, i don't have more ideas at the moment. Let us know if you fixed your problem.

Good luck,

and welcome to MTA community :)

Thanks a lot for your help varez.

Yeh, I'm thinking it is most likely a problem with Windows 7. I didn't remove, but I completely closed down AVG (via task manager) and still couldn't bring up the servers.

I did a bit more searching and found people on other forums using steam go the same issue brining up servers for other games, when using Windows 7. They explained the exact same symptoms as me. I.e. they closed down their antiviruses, switched off firewalls, enabled internet access for all applicable programs where they could. They also said that it was working perfectly fine before they installed Windows 7, further convincing me it is probably a problem with this operating system.

Which makes me wonder, does anyone on here who uses MTA, use Window 7? Because so far I have not found anyone who has mentioned that they do. And if we do find someone, then maybe we can figure out whether they had similar issues and what they did to solve it.

I also searched the net about this and have already done everything that has been explained - run the application as administrator, add it to allowed programs via windows firewal etc etc. Still can't bring up any servers, however I can manually connect via quick connect. This is very annoying... :(

• Discord Moderators

I've got Windows 7 and I have no issue with server list retrieval.

What version of Windows 7 are you on?

I didn't see anything about running MTA/GTA in compatibility mode, have you tried this? (Windows XP SP3).