Run MTA:SA as User or Power User?

Guest LadFromWales85

I have San Andreas installed on the family PC, which runs under both User and Power User accounts fine.

Installed MTA:SA under my account (in administrators group), and ran it, runs fine.

Logged into a Power User account, and created a shortcut to MTA on the desktop, as MTA:SA's installer puts them in the current user start menu.

First, I get prompted for the SA install directory, then I get another prompt stating that MTA couldn't read it's installation path from the registry, and to select where its installed.

Once those are out of the way, MTA shows the splash screen, and SA begins to start, but an error occurs.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: D:\Pro....\gta_sa.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

The path errors can be fixed by changing the permissions for registry key

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas

but the runtime error still occurs.

Is there a way to get around this issue, besides having to log in for the person who wants to play MTA, all the time?

I really hate windows permissions, don't get these sort of problems with linux...

Sounds like you need to grant FILE permissions for the non-admin users. Do this to the installation folders of both GTASA and MTASA and ensure their respective sub-folders and files inherit these permissions.

Please state if this fixes your issue as that runtime error has been experienced by other users and solution may help them also... thanx :D

Thank you for inspiring me about the fact that it could be file permissions that were preventing the game from running.

Giving power users modify permissions to the "GTA San Andreas" directory did indeed allow them to run MTA, but being over the top about security, I wanted it bolted down as tight as possible.

So, having a look at modify times etc, I have come down with the list of files that need modify permission to allow groups (or specific users if you like) to run MTA.

The registry key...

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas

Needs to be set to allow Full Control by the user/group that requires access to MTA. Setting this will stop MTA asking where GTA (and itself) are installed every run.

The files...

\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\CEGUI.log

\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\MTA\CEGUI.log

\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\MTA\blue.conf

\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\MTA\core.dmp

\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\MTA\core.log

Need to be set to allow Modify by the user/group that requires access to MTA. The Runtime Error will occur if CEGUI.log, CEGUI.log, and blue.conf do not have Modify permissions...and core.dmp and core.log need Modify to allow crash reports to be written to disk.

I will keep an eye on power user accounts, to make sure whether other file permissions are needed for running the game correctly.

I hope this information will help someone, as well as me :)

Thanks for the hint :D

Giving power users modify permissions to the "GTA San Andreas" directory did indeed allow them to run MTA, but being over the top about security, I wanted it bolted down as tight as possible
Thanks for the hint

lol it was the solution to the problem you posted - so you're very welcome :D

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: D:\Pro....\gta_sa.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I only get these problems in v1.0 when I press alt-tab before it gets to the menu - that means while the videos are playing and that boot up screen after the videos. In v1.1.1, maybe its the firewall trying to minimize it before it gets to the menu, still having that problem from v1.0 (They should of fixed that but I think they didn't let us minimize at all)

Try adding MTA and GTA SA to the firewall first, then start MTA up.

[i cant delete my post in this forum, someone delete this, LadFromWales85 edited his post i think to add all that info and fix the problem, making this post pointless]

Edited by Guest

How would you like me to write, Talidan?

If I explained how to fix the issue with a more lax speak, people would be asking questions about the method as they don't understand :P