Server bandwidth Requirements for a home server!!!

By Jrm20 (Edited and changed on 3/5/2006)

*For a server Ran from home*

Dont flame me Im giving you factual information as I have ran servers for over 6 years. Just trying to help people out and give them an idea.

15kilobits per second upload to each client is really really low and not enough at all. That would cause alot of lag and the server would bog down and everyone would have 999 ping.

Easy thing to remember if you want to open a server and it be lagless.

*If you have the full Upload* Redid the bandwidth calculations because I was getting corrected...

128Kbps upload: 4 players

256Kbps upload: 6 players

384Kbps upload: 8 players

512Kbps upload 10 players

768Kbps upload: 12-14 players (14 would be absolute max)

I have opened a server following these guidelines and it hasnt given me any problems and noone lags except for the dialup people of course sometimes.

Once you get more and more clients connecting you generally need more bandwidth per player.

Keep in mind for exceptional bandwith

*42.6 kilobits per second upload for each player minimum will work for a server with 256Kbps upload or below.*

128Kbps 3 players from the internet + you the server owner on lan if you always stay in the server, if not keep it at 3 max.

256Kbps 5-6 players from the internet + you the server owner on lan if you always stay in the server, if not keep it at 6 max players.

384Kbps 8 players from the internet

512Kbps about 10 players but I have seen 12 max work on a server before.

768Kbps about 14

and so on if you have alot more upload you get the picture.

Big K and small b is "kilobits" looks like this Kb.

Dont get them mixed up and yes it matters and there is a big difference.

A dedicated server pc is best if you get over an 8 person server. When you play and serve on the same pc it will get jerky no matter how fast the pc is and how much ram.

Dedicated means the server game is ran from its own pc with noone gaming on the pc, its only for the connecting players from the internet and of course the lan players if any.

If the mta mod included a sv_maxrate function for the server it would be easier to come up with a better bandwidth formula. :roll:

Edited by Guest
Keep in mind for exceptional bandwith

*42.6 kilobits per second upload for each player minimum*

128Kbps divided by 3 = 42.6Kbps

256Kbps divided by 6 = 42.6Kbps

384Kbps divided by 9 = 42.6Kbps

and so on if you have alot more upload you get the picture.

This is in fact incorrect as bandwidth requirements do not increase smoothly like that, they increase exponentially. Due mainly to the largely clientside nature of MTA.

This and more specific info can be found on these forums with a quick search, it has been discussed more than once. (and at least once in the last few days).

Im just giving them general information that will help them out on making a sever at home.

I know the bandwith that I calculated isnt in theory correct.

A normal person wont understand what you just typed below, so I just put it into terms that they could understand.

I know you can run 6 clients on 256Kbps (kilobits per second) upload as I have tested it. That is people from the internet connecting.

With 512Kbps upload you could host 10 clients max. You should not have any problems.

Edited by Guest

Anyway I read somewhere on this site that the makers of mta intended the clients to use 15Kbps each, which that is not true or likely. It would lag like you wouldnt believe and everyone would have 999ping. From 15Kbps what they intended it to be, to 46.6Kbps that I said is a big difference and is more true in theory.

All im saying is my numbers are alot better, way better in theory than whoever said 15Kbps is enough per each client..

The calculations dont have to add up like a rocket scientist im just saying that if you follow my general guideline you will have a server that will be good. :roll:

Your the second person that said the same thing semi-retired, well I dont see anyone else giving any possible guidelines at all. I mean come one, 15Kbps to each client would not be possible...

**Read This**

In my guideline you guys did read the part that said minimum of 42.6Kbps upload. That means when more and more clients come they will need even more bandwith per player...

So really im not wrong, i just didnt feel like doing a rocket scientist formula. I dont know why I get told im wrong when the creaters of mta said 15Kbps was adequate. If im wrong then they are really really really wrong and they are suppost to be the smarter people and coders.

Go figure..

Ya, but can i ask...

I have Rogers Exterme High Speed. 8Mbps down, and i think 864 or something up.

I have two servers running on a dedicated pc, how many players in total u think i could get?

If you have no other servers running at all and noone using your bandwidth at all. You can hold 14 players on a dedicated machine that is pretty fast.

My theory isnt right about the bandwidth adding up per player but if you follow what I just said 14 player server without anyone else on your line or nothing else running you can hold 14 players. Get back with me and tell me if I was right.

Youll see. Thanks!

ok first please refrain from multi-posting in the manner above, there is an edit button if you need to add more.

Your the second person that said the same thing semi-retired, well I dont see anyone else giving any possible guidelines at all. I mean come one, 15Kbps to each client would not be possible...

I havn't mentioned 15kbps. Is it better to have a post stating misleading and inaccurate information (yours) or no post at all? I'd go for the latter.

If all you want to say is 'x upload will support x players, i've seen it done/done it' then please say just that, dont wrap it up in misleading formulas (and yes, yours is way way off target).

ok first please refrain from multi-posting in the manner above, there is an edit button if you need to add more.

I havn't mentioned 15kbps. Is it better to have a post stating misleading and inaccurate information (yours) or no post at all? I'd go for the latter.

If all you want to say is 'x upload will support x players, i've seen it done/done it' then please say just that, dont wrap it up in misleading formulas (and yes, yours is way way off target).

I didnt say you said that, I have seen a user post that on the site somewhere a few days ago that the mta team intended each client to use 15Kbps each. Now that is way off I said. I meant that you were the second person on the forums correcting me.

I edited it just for you brother!!

*If you have the full Upload* Redid the bandwidth calculations because I was getting corrected...

**EDITED march 7, 2006 11:44pm**

You said the bandwidth that I stated is way off target.

Well I did update it 2-3 days ago.

Its not way off target I updated it as follows...

That is not way off target you can say what you want. Basically the numbers hasnt changed in (clients) as it was stated on the old post.

Yes if you go by those the server will not have any problems..

You know why??

Well Quake 4 has these requirements and im just giving you this as an example... Let me remind you that QUAKE 4 Multiplayer is bandwidth intensive. If you see, my bandwidth wasnt off at all in the long run.

128Kbps - 4 players 512Kbps - 10 players

256Kbps - 6 players 768Kbps - 12 players

384Kbps - 8 players LAN - 16 players

My point is if quake 4 can hold the above clients then mta can definately hold it as well. So technically speaking I was never wrong.. I did say 42.6Kbps upload minimum to each client, but I meant that 42.6Kbps upload is plenty or more than plenty for a server with 256Kbps upload or lower.

That is correct.. You cannot correct me on the clients not being legit. As they are certainly legit if quake 4 can hold that many. :roll:

I can see why the 42.6Kbps threw you off though because you dont seem like your a rocket scientist either dude. I mean I didnt see you coming up with a post to help people.

I am not way off target with the clients and I will say it again, and I never was on the "Clients".