[HelpQuickly] How To Fix Error Error @BadArgument?

Hello, I wrote a JailTimer script and I faced this problem and I was confused. Can anyone help me?

Console Errors: 

[07:17:17] WARNING: jail/server.lua:8: Bad argument @ 'setTimer' [Expected function at argument 1, got nil]
[07:17:17] WARNING: jail/server.lua:18: Bad argument @ 'addEventHandler' [Expected element at argument 2, got nil]

Problematic Script: 

--------------- Script By RxipeR ---------------
--Arthur RxipeR
--JailTimeR Script

local timer = setTimer( timerJail, 1000,1 )

function timerJail()
    if getElementData(source,"jailTimer") > 0 then
        timeRoTamoomKon()
        triggerClientEvent ( source, "onSyncTime")
        resetTimer(timer)
    end
end

addEventHandler("onPlayerSpawn",source,
function()
        if getElementData(source, "jailLoc") == 1 then
            spawnPlayer(source, 264.228515625, 77.505859375, 1001.0390625)
            setElementInterior ( source, 6 )
        end
    end
end
)

function timeRoTamoomKon()
    local timeJailChande = getElementData(source,"jailTimer")
    local kamkon = tonumber(timeJailChande) - 1
    setElementData(source, "jailTimer", tonumber(kamkon))
end

First issue: Lua is parsed and executed from top to bottom; by the time of the setTimer call, timerJail has not been declared or defined. You need to move the setTimer call after the timerJail function definition.

Second issue: addEventHandler requires an element to bind onto (2nd argument) -- this means which element (and its children if propagation is enabled, which it is by default) should the event fire for -- and in your code it is an nil-value variable source, hence the error. source is defined within an event handler function, so getElementData(source, "jailLoc") is fine, source is the player that spawned. source outside that function, such as in the arguments passed to addEventHandler, it is undefined/nil. Change this to something like root (this is a pre-defined synonym for the value returned by getRootElement()).

Edited by Addlibs
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Addlibs said:

First issue: Lua is parsed and executed from top to bottom; by the time of the setTimer call, timerJail has not been declared or defined. You need to move the setTimer call after the timerJail function definition.

Second issue: addEventHandler requires an element to bind onto (2nd argument), in your code it refers to an undefined variable "source", a nil value, hence the error. source is defined within an event handler function, so getElementData(source, "jailLoc") is fine, source is the player that spawned. source outside that function, such as in the arguments passed to addEventHandler, it is undefined/nil. Change this to something like root (this is a pre-defined synonym for the value returned by getRootElement()).

Thanks Bro ! It Works | Fixed

But it gave this new error |:

[08:45:01] ERROR: jail/server.lua:20: attempt to compare number with boolean

What Happen?

Line 20:

Edited by RxipeR

What are these errors? How do I fix every error that the console gives? I really don't understand. I'm just getting familiar with the console errors. I'll solve some by myself, but I'm stuck. Help me.

attempt to compare number with boolean

attempt to compare number with nil

[Expected element at argument 1, got boolean]

[Expected element at argument 1, got nil]

I have a lot of problems with these errors and my console is full of these errors! Someone help me understand

What does this mean?
Please explain nil and boolean
And how do I fix all the bad argument errors?

more errors from console:

[09:46:00] WARNING: jail-jadid/jail.lua:264: Bad argument @ 'destroyElement' [Expected element at argument 1, got boolean]
[09:46:00] WARNING: jail-jadid/jail.lua:265: Bad argument @ 'destroyElement' [Expected element at argument 1, got boolean]
[09:46:00] ERROR: jail-jadid/jail.lua:268: Bad argument @ 'setElementData' [Expected element at argument 1, got nil]

Edited by RxipeR

These errors mean you're attempting to compare incomparable values, for example, a bool with a number. Is true > 1, < 1? It doesn't make sense.

getElementData returns a 'false' value when there is no data stored under the given key -- all you have to do is prevent the comparison from happening if the returned value is not a number:

local returnedValue = getElementData(someElement, "someKey")

-- options:
if (returnedValue) then
  if (returnedValue > 5) then
    -- valid
  end
end

if (returnedValue and returnedValue > 5) then
  -- valid
end

-- the following two will also work if the returned value is a string that contains arabic numbers in base-10, e.g. ("1000" (string) => 1000 (number))
if (tonumber(returnedValue) and tonumber(returnedValue) > 5) then
  -- valid
end

local returnedValue = tonumber(getElementData(someElement, "someKey"))
  -- valid
end

1 hour ago, Addlibs said:

These errors mean you're attempting to compare incomparable values, for example, a bool with a number. Is true > 1, < 1? It doesn't make sense.

getElementData returns a 'false' value when there is no data stored under the given key -- all you have to do is prevent the comparison from happening if the returned value is not a number:

local returnedValue = getElementData(someElement, "someKey")

-- options:
if (returnedValue) then
  if (returnedValue > 5) then
    -- valid
  end
end

-- valid
end

-- the following two will also work if the returned value is a string that contains arabic numbers in base-10, e.g. ("1000" (string) => 1000 (number))
if (tonumber(returnedValue) and tonumber(returnedValue) > 5) then
  -- valid
end

local returnedValue = tonumber(getElementData(someElement, "someKey"))
  -- valid
end

Bravo Now I understand what happened