The value of copyright vs. good-faith preservation

The_GTA

This post is my personal statement. It could be detached from views of other members of this board. I invite everyone into an open discussion that follows the rules of this forum.

In this article I want to talk about the meaning of copyright in contrast to how the wild specimen known as gamer perceives it. It is my careful accumulation of experiences around here-unnamed internet communities. It is a delicate subject in the case of vibrant communities that express themselves in their identity surrounding copyrighted works. But there appear to be misunderstandings regarding facts such as the untouchability of present copyright holders, much profoundedly so due to being champions and creators of said works, and their enactable rights. Thus an unbiased observer, taking no defaulted side could be confused if not deluded about what is right in this situation.

Let's start by explaining the intentions of good-faith which the core values of our society build upon. They overreach the primitive understanding of laws as expressions of restriction. In a commercial direction we want to cherish - the action in good-faith - entrepreneurs who create works and take the initial risk to distribute this previously unheard-of content. More works will be encouraged if we protect their commercial interest in creations. It fundamentally brings us together as community to act as protectors of (copy-)rights as well as the procedures of lawful acquirements. The essence of buying a work - the driving factors of markets, innovation - is agreed upon by the copyright holder in his distribution interest. We must never forget the interconnectedness of the good-faith that has spawned its roots into every facet of todays society to keep our world intact.

Disdainfully in eyes of creators could be a creeping misunderstanding of good-faith. As an entrepreneur - good-faith creators of favorable works - it has to be your natural reflex to protect yourself against it. Starting with the most-generous opening argument we could say that there are people who have been tricked into downloading software - which has a lot of man-hours of work behind it, countless of designers smithing away in their creativity - without permission on the internet. Down this line more radical are people who consider that abandonware is a legal concept and that it in principle could overrule the copyright. Worse yet, the entrepreneur could enter the attempted dispute with a legal entity about the value of aging works and their copyright enactability. But I digress.

When laws change, good-faith keeps us together. A world where creators work for free hardly exists in good-faith. Oh joy, they get to distribute the new excitement to everyone, but their kids at home starve amongst the countless spent man-hours. On the other hand a world with rising yet unexplained prices is risking a growing, deeply-rooted misunderstanding by the consumers. In particular a good businessman does keep both sides - the accountability and the protectivity - in good balance.

We started this article by mentioning gamers. These people consume works of the game industry. The game industry is a set of companies with many designers, programmers, sound/visual/expressionary artists and their suits. With each game - a work of said industry - each of the previously mentioned industry components wants to get paid during the making process as well as afterwards to continue a good-faith job. It is my - the article authors - point of view that many gamers do not understand how hard it is to make and sell a game. We as a society have to raise the importance of copyright with truthful explanations of the work that resulted in said rights. Then can we expect the newcomer to understand the core-values of our society.

I - the article author - want to apologize for leaving this delicate topic on this unfinished note. May you have a good and understanding future about the topics explored herein.