How many servers can it handle?

FlyingSpoon

It has a good CPU, but as WhoAmI said, it really depends on what type of gamemodes you're running, and how many players will be on it.

It has a good CPU, but the RAM is pretty low. It is really hard to say. A rough estimate would be probably about 2-3 servers with about 20 players each maybe.

For a year I've been hosting on a modified old laptop rebuilt to server with the following specifications:

CPU: 1 core @ 1.4GHz | RAM: 1.25GB (2GB swap) | HDD: 60GB + backup | Bandwidth: 1Gbt/s

The operating system is a downscaled Linux Debian using minimal amount of system resources for maximal performance and beside the standard applications like web, ftp, smb, email etc the following MTA servers is running on this machine:

• Freeroam + GTW-RPG (minimal)
  • Race + GTW-RPG (minimal)
  • GTW-RPG (full)
  • Development (various resources)
  • Map editor
  • Some kind of third party role play server, vG maybe.

With around ~10 players on each public server the system resources where used to ~50-60%, idle: ~20%. Now these are all optimized resources and just one little mistake can waste all CPU performance or eat all RAM for you, but if you know enough development to optimize your resources, you can easily host a large amount of servers on that configuration without any lag. And with a fair player amount as well.

Use performance browser and the servers own performance monitor like "top" or "htop" to find out which resource is responsible for wasting your performance. If there is any of course, otherwise you're free to go and start how many servers you want. ;)

It has a good CPU, but as WhoAmI said, it really depends on what type of gamemodes you're running, and how many players will be on it.

It has a good CPU, but the RAM is pretty low. It is really hard to say. A rough estimate would be probably about 2-3 servers with about 20 players each maybe.

The lack of RAM won't be a bigger issue, it's depending on the game mode as well. Also let's not forget that Linux has a great implementation of virtual memory so you can swap a couple of GB RAM on the hard drive as well. I have limited memory myself but ~20% data on the swap didn't cause much lag for me.

The lack of RAM won't be a bigger issue, it's depending on the game mode as well. Also let's not forget that Linux has a great implementation of virtual memory so you can swap a couple of GB RAM on the hard drive as well. I have limited memory myself but ~20% data on the swap didn't cause much lag for me.

Default swap size is 2x of the installed RAM depending on the hard disk size. You shouldn't use the swap as a permanent replacement for RAM unless it's needed but a few hundreds of MB could be stored on the swap without bigger issues for sure.

Edited by Guest