PC Gaming Rig

CapY

Hello,

I recently have gotten a job and thought of purchasing a gaming rig which I am going to use for gaming - of course.

Even though I have heard a few opinions already, I was curious about what are the thoughts of an wider user-base on it? Could I go any more cheaper and get the same value still or just get my hopes off?

1. CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor - $215.00
  2. CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler - $29.99
  3. Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 - $82.98
  4. RAM Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory - $71.98
  5. Solid State Drive Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" - $69.98
  6. Hard Drive Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM - $49.89
  7. Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB - $319.99
  8. Case: Zalman Z3 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case - Unknown price
  9. Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply - $109.99

Total: $949.79

• MTA Team

Looks pretty solid indeed. If I were to get it myself, I would probably go for a faster memory, like DDR3 2133 or something, if the price increase isn't too big. Also, get a bigger SSD.

You are missing an optical drive though... not really a necessity nowadays, but might be still useful.

I would stick with what you have right there it seems like a well balanced system. Going cheaper really is not a good idea in most cases, in fact getting a large liquid cooler like the h100 might be a good idea for overclocking, but more cost will exist.

I think that I am going to stick to this one. Maybe to get a better PSU as I have heard that these from Corsair are not that good.

Looks pretty solid indeed. If I were to get it myself, I would probably go for a faster memory, like DDR3 2133 or something, if the price increase isn't too big. Also, get a bigger SSD.

You are missing an optical drive though... not really a necessity nowadays, but might be still useful.

1,600MHz memory is just fine for now. I will go with bigger numbers in one to two years as this motherboard supports up to 3k MHz and 32GB of RAM. The reason why I didn't purchase an optical drive is that I don't use DVDs or CDs. Removable USB/HDD storage only.

Thank you all for your responses! I'm open for more suggestions.

So, I was playing a little bit and reduced the price for almost $100 for the same value, what do you think now? I've decided to replace the Samsung SSD as I have heard they don't have a great history with such products.

Also, a Hitachi has a lower failure rate and is cheaper. RAM as well - you get the same thing for $40 less.

As for the Power supply, those from Corsair are a bit overpriced for their quality and this one outperforms some of their Gold Certified PSU's.

Thank you all for your suggestions, though.

2. CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler - $29.99
  4. RAM Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory - $62.99
  5. Solid State Drive Storage: Cruical BX100 120GB 2.5" - $66.69
  6. Hard Drive Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM - $46.75
  9. Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - $49.99

Total: $879.12

Corsair makes great PSU's actually, and this is a component I wouldn't recommend reducing the price for. Best results from a PSU comes when it's loaded to 50%, e.g if your system consumes ~500W you should pick a PSU that produce 1000W. Secondly, let's have a look at the hard drives, western digital may be expensive but they are quiet, (even at 7200RPM), they are cold and works forever, kind of. This system with water cooling and all will be pretty quiet while not being in game, a noisy hard drive would basically ruin the experience. And a cheap PSU could damage your system.

The system is relatively balanced in it's original state and if you really want to go any cheaper you may try reduce the CPU and GPU a little, there's no huge difference between the best and the second best in these. As an example, I build my gaming PC 5 years ago, intel core i7-950, and Nvidia GTX 460, (older versions of the components you have here), and these are still giving great results in many new games. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying though, I'm not saying that you should buy old components that are many years old. But if you do want to save money, try to pick a little older CPU and GPU with similar performance and features, think of what you need and if it's worth the extra money.

So, I was playing a little bit and reduced the price for almost $100 for the same value, what do you think now? I've decided to replace the Samsung SSD as I have heard they don't have a great history with such products.

Also, a Hitachi has a lower failure rate and is cheaper. RAM as well - you get the same thing for $40 less.

As for the Power supply, those from Corsair are a bit overpriced for their quality and this one outperforms some of their Gold Certified PSU's.

Thank you all for your suggestions, though.

4. RAM Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory - $62.99
  5. Solid State Drive Storage: Cruical BX100 120GB 2.5" - $66.69
  6. Hard Drive Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM - $46.75
  9. Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - $49.99

Total: $879.12

Hitachi is known for their high failure rate, actually. Samsung SSDs ARE good, I don't know where you read that. MrBrutus is right that Corsair makes good power supplies (well, to be honest, they're mostly rebranded Seasonic) and you shouldn't save on that.

Corsair makes great PSU's actually, and this is a component I wouldn't recommend reducing the price for. Best results from a PSU comes when it's loaded to 50%, e.g if your system consumes ~500W you should pick a PSU that produce 1000W. Secondly, let's have a look at the hard drives, western digital may be expensive but they are quiet, (even at 7200RPM), they are cold and works forever, kind of. This system with water cooling and all will be pretty quiet while not being in game, a noisy hard drive would basically ruin the experience. And a cheap PSU could damage your system.

The system is relatively balanced in it's original state and if you really want to go any cheaper you may try reduce the CPU and GPU a little, there's no huge difference between the best and the second best in these. As an example, I build my gaming PC 5 years ago, intel core i7-950, and Nvidia GTX 460, (older versions of the components you have here), and these are still giving great results in many new games. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying though, I'm not saying that you should buy old components that are many years old. But if you do want to save money, try to pick a little older CPU and GPU with similar performance and features, think of what you need and if it's worth the extra money.

I've got the Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply and Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, it looks like reduction of the price for the same quality is not going to work.

Hitachi is known for their high failure rate, actually. Samsung SSDs ARE good, I don't know where you read that. MrBrutus is right that Corsair makes good power supplies (well, to be honest, they're mostly rebranded Seasonic) and you shouldn't save on that.

I've gone for Western's Digital HDD and left Cruical's SSD.

Samsung 840s series had some problems but I myself own Samsung 850 and I have no problem for now, but I did read that a new firmware update does make it brick so just don't update it, I guess?

Also nice to see you CapY. 8)

I don't prefer Samsung SSD's, something tells me they're not okay.

Nice to see you too, it has been a long time. I'm glad someone has noticed that I've been away from MTA for a while.

Thank you all for your suggestions, here is the final build and I am not going to change the parts of it no more.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cKLPLk

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply and Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, it looks like reduction of the price for the same quality is not going to work.

I've gone for Western's Digital HDD and left Cruical's SSD.

Samsung 840s series had some problems but I myself own Samsung 850 and I have no problem for now, but I did read that a new firmware update does make it brick so just don't update it, I guess?

Also nice to see you CapY. 8)

I don't prefer Samsung SSD's, something tells me they're not okay.

Nice to see you too, it has been a long time. I'm glad someone has noticed that I've been away from MTA for a while.

Thank you all for your suggestions, here is the final build and I am not going to change the parts of it no more.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cKLPLk

It might not be that useful to mention this now but Intel's sdds have the lowest failure rate.
  • 4 months later...