The Consoles Are Holding Back The GTA Series From Supremacy

Should There Be Separate Console & PC Incarnations Of Games In The GTA Series?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should There Be Separate Console & PC Incarnations Of Games In The GTA Series?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

okay , here are some numbers

Currently online Battlefield Vietnam Players:

Thats not that much , but , only becfause the BFV website counts the number of players using GameSpy. If I look in the ASE , I get:

34152 Players / 1661 servers (that would be about 34 players per server.

So , I think thats more then there are people online with SOCOM.

Oh , and Dawgy is right , the XBOX is 700MhZ , and a modern PC is 2.8GhZ.

Also , JohnChappel is right , afcource , and im sorr i made such a mistake. I wont do it again. But , its just true , PC's will allways look better (as in grapics and sound). Feel better (as in mouse vs. controller). And can do more (as in word proccessing , drawing , calculating , surfing etc.).

No offense to consolle users afcource!

Mr.Xanni

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ jonchappel - thats the supposed advantage of consoles, they are meant to be relativly bug free, and have no need for patches... patches are an excuse for developers to release a game early.. can anyone say SIN? - the fu :shock: ing patch was about as big as the game!!!!!

patches are good, but as long as the console development company dont start learning bad habits from pc devs and release shoddy beta games early with the 'its in the patch' excuse for later.

Thats not that much , but , only becfause the BFV website counts the number of players using GameSpy. If I look in the ASE , I get:

That's all well and good, except you're lacking the statistics of console players.

http://steampowered.com/status/survey.html

If you check out Valve's hardware survey, of the 800,000 - 900,000 people surveyed, the majority of them have 1.7 - 2GHz CPUs.

i think that SOCOM has more than that, but i am not sure as i havent played it in a while. also keep in mind that the vast majority of BFV players have internet access, while the vast majority of PS2 owners do not.

But , its just true , PC's will allways look better (as in grapics and sound). Feel better (as in mouse vs. controller). And can do more (as in word proccessing , drawing , calculating , surfing etc.).

yes, and i think everyone agrees.

Also , JohnChappel is right , afcource , and im sorr i made such a mistake. I wont do it again. But , its just true , PC's will allways look better (as in grapics and sound). Feel better (as in mouse vs. controller). And can do more (as in word proccessing , drawing , calculating , surfing etc.).

No offense to consolle users afcource!

Mr.Xanni

just atke cs's amount of players servers and it will rape any other numbers besides maybe blizzard's

and a pc wont feel better in a fighting game, and i also find it less comfortable in racing games, but i hate racing games anyway. FPS is a PC MUST unless of course goldeneye or PD

See, some people say, "gameplay is what counts," others say its the graphics, (me) and many others. I agree 100% that I have spent more money on my gaming machine then a gd xbox, ps2, or a game-cube. I say that two versions should be made (since sp2 just has to have so many gd morons who can't use a pc worth shiot).

I'd like to use Doom 3 as an example here... Some people have the low specs for this game and it will run, but it will look like complete shiot. I personally say you shouldn't own this game unless you play it at its full potential, which is the graphics. (they did a nice job on the gameplay anyways..) A computer is great for the graphics. -Else get urself a consol- (Its ment to do more then a consol and it sure as hell can take more stress then consol.)... Why must we play a game that can have much better graphics and actually stress our graphics cards? If anything, be like doom 3 and make the graphics so much better and then for all the people that can't use a pc, give them the crappy lookin graphics on their consols...

If non of this made sence to you, which I probably did make many mistakes in this reply, don't flame me for my opinions :wink:

i couldn't disagree with you more...

I think one of the major advantages the pc has over consoles is not only graphics, its the game play.. nothing is superior than WASD and a mouse...

i play doom3 and I play it on the lower settings, and its still a great game..

Kent

See, some people say, "gameplay is what counts," others say its the graphics, (me) and many others. I agree 100% that I have spent more money on my gaming machine then a gd xbox, ps2, or a game-cube. I say that two versions should be made (since sp2 just has to have so many gd morons who can't use a pc worth shiot).

I'd like to use Doom 3 as an example here... Some people have the low specs for this game and it will run, but it will look like complete shiot. I personally say you shouldn't own this game unless you play it at its full potential, which is the graphics. (they did a nice job on the gameplay anyways..) A computer is great for the graphics. -Else get urself a consol- (Its ment to do more then a consol and it sure as hell can take more stress then consol.)... Why must we play a game that can have much better graphics and actually stress our graphics cards? If anything, be like doom 3 and make the graphics so much better and then for all the people that can't use a pc, give them the crappy lookin graphics on their consols...

If non of this made sence to you, which I probably did make many mistakes in this reply, don't flame me for my opinions :wink:

*gives an uncontrollable and boring game with uber gfx*

so according to you the game would be great of the uber gfx

I have to totaly agree with you , Splinter Cell 2 : Pandora Tommorow looks much better on the PC then it could ever look on the XBOX , + Multiplayer is free for the PC , and for the XBOX you ahve to pay for it!

But you have to pay a subscription fee for internet access anyway.

I agree with what Mad_Boy and Kent say, however good graphics can improve the immersivity of a game, and hence improve the gameplay further. Given a choice between one or the other, though, I'd go for gameplay.

• 3 weeks later...

My Feelings and Facts are as follows: (it gets technical)

1) Developing for a console is not very different from developing for pc, the main differences include:

a) the game must boot itself, no operating system or kernal (xbox is exception, because its a fancy pc)

b) no kernal dependancy (therefore no directx \ gl support)

when game developers develop for consoles, they have assembler programmers write all the hardware \ graphics calls they need. They then implement a multi platform graphics library, so that the same graphics calls can be compiled for any system, with the only difference being a swap of the header \ dll files. Thus they can continue to reuse the same libraries (that are either provided by sony \ ms \ nintendo) or programmed company specific for all their games.

This means that developing a game, and optomizing it greatly to run lagless on a console means having the same optomizations on pc, and so porting from console to ps2 is a snap.

IMPORTANT: the contract that R* signed with Sony states that the game release for platforms other than PS2 must be IDENTICAL to the PS2 version, so duh the PC version is restricted because it would be in violation to not be.

As far as graphics are concerend I think GTA3 + VC have great graphics. Obviously they arent the industries best, but they make the game enjoyable for me, and again thats what counts. I'm a gameplay person, as I can get a kick from old school Atari games.

Sure it can be fun to be in awe of great graphics, but if the game is enjoyable with out them, then so be it. To me its like saying "I only listen to high-bit rate music files, regardless of what the content is! Vote bush!!!1!11! lolz"

Moving on..

consoles arent dead, and they wont be for a long long time. Here's why:

1) the other day I tried explaining a pc game to an 8 year old: impossible

yet 8 yo's tend to be a huge gamecube \ gba market...

2) many famlies own a pc, yet specifically disallow game play on it (i know several freinds w\ this problem)

3) consoles are portable (i dont want to hear how you drag your pc to your friends lan-party, the bottom line is, its 10x easier to move a console, and laptops arent that great for gaming unless you want to put down $2k)

4) you can sit on your living room couch and hook it up to your 50" big screen (i dont give a sh*t about resolution, it looks fine on TV, especially since cable tv broadcasts at 640x480)

5) you never have to worry about lag, and not have to spend $$ for hardware upgrades, because you are awesome and care about gameplay, with decent gfx

6) parents tend to prefer their children on a console

7) for a multibillion dollar industry to drop console hardware with out a slow phase into pc, would have devistating effects on gaming (enuf to cripple it) but also the economy \ stock market

So consoles are going to be around for a long time, and possible never quite leave, by becoming pc's specialized for gameplay.

as of gta being restrained by the R* contract, I have no problem with, because the games rock nomatter how they look.[/i]

ooo free copys of doom 3....

yes there should be seperate versions because its not just graphics that will be held back by the ps2 port, it will be lenth of the game (i dont think anyone would like to keep swaping dvd's in the ps2),

a dedicated pc version would allow for:

more complex missions,

more controlls and useable items like bridge controlls without the pink rings of vc,

better quality models (atm i dont think they re-model them for the port)

multiplayer built from the ground up, i dont think ps2 will ever get multi player gta but if there was a dedicated pc version rather than ports then mabee it would finally be implimeted in a retail version,

downloadable / buyable expansion packs from rockstar rather than 3rd part modders,

it would make the game complitly different but console is still going to be good,

ooo free copys of doom 3....

yes there should be seperate versions because its not just graphics that will be held back by the ps2 port, it will be lenth of the game (i dont think anyone would like to keep swaping dvd's in the ps2),

a dedicated pc version would allow for:

more complex missions,

more controlls and useable items like bridge controlls without the pink rings of vc,

better quality models (atm i dont think they re-model them for the port)

multiplayer built from the ground up, i dont think ps2 will ever get multi player gta but if there was a dedicated pc version rather than ports then mabee it would finally be implimeted in a retail version,

downloadable / buyable expansion packs from rockstar rather than 3rd part modders,

it would make the game complitly different but console is still going to be good,

i highly doubt they would add more complex missions for teh pc port, even if they didnt have the contract, and they dont fill the ps2 dvd as is. So the game could get about four times larger (worth of models and missions) and still fit on ps2, remember dvds are 4gb, and more expensive ones can be 8gb

I have to totaly agree with you , Splinter Cell 2 : Pandora Tommorow looks much better on the PC then it could ever look on the XBOX , + Multiplayer is free for the PC , and for the XBOX you ahve to pay for it!

But you have to pay a subscription fee for internet access anyway.

I agree with what Mad_Boy and Kent say, however good graphics can improve the immersivity of a game, and hence improve the gameplay further. Given a choice between one or the other, though, I'd go for gameplay.

WRONG. With xbox you need top pay a fee for xbox lvie in ADDITION to teh broadband connection you pay for.. Pcs dont require a seperate service that must be purchased in order to play multiplayer games online.