Steam ID like thingy

Combine

Do you think this would be a useful thing?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this would be a useful thing?

• Yes
    • No
    • I really don't understand your statement.

Well, I just came up with this idea.

How about you make an MTA-ID like thingy, similiar to Steam ID. What you do is have a server with a list of used codes. Everytime someone installs, it makes a new code and add it to the list, so it can't be used again. The code is then put in the regsitry.

But you want it so it would be extremely hard to delete it from the regsitry. For example, in the regsitry there's a part with tons of folders with long random numbers. Click here to see what I am talking about. You can add another folder to that list, put the code in the folder. But not the actual code itself, since someone could just search the ID code and delete it. What you would do is have it encrypted so it's a long string of numbers and letters. When MTA is started, it's decoded and sent to the Server.

Now an admin can ban 56k users, or anyone with a rotating IP address. The only way to get past this would be to find a way to de-crypt the code, and then search it in regsitry. Or re-format.

But the MTA client would also have to have a way of finding it out of the millions of other keys.

It's not like it has to find it, just put in the client the registry directory and you're set.

What, you mean the user has to type a long number each time they want to play?

No. It works like this.

The code is stored in the registry, but in a way so the user can't find it. When MTA is started, it decrypts the code from the regsitry then sends it to the server, with no user intervention. If there's a ban on the code, then the user is kicked immediatly. So if he wanted to change his code so he could get in the server, he would have to figure out how it is encrypted. Then use the encryption to search the registry and delete it.

Yes, but the problem remains: there are hundreds of keys in that part of the registry. How does MTA know which one to find? If MTA knows how to find it, then some hacker / cracker should be able to find it.

People are suggesting the login method as a way of finding the right one by de-encrypting each one until you find one that fits what the user typed.

i understand, and like the idea. whats so hard to understand?

mta creates a new random 'directory' in the windows registry. they hide it as well as they can(between other directories with a confusing name, maybe even with an identical look as the other folder's contants(not the same though)). only mta itself remembers where is the directory.

to make the hackers job even harder, the contants of the mta directory are encoded too.

mta bans players the code written in that little directory (no need for an ip ban anymore), so when the banned person tryes to join a server and the server recognises his ID as banned, it doesnt let him in.

easy as pie.

mta creates a new random 'directory' in the windows registry.

If this is done then mta could just be reinstalled, there would have to be some way of checking if there is already a code there if mta is reinstalled.

No, because if mta is uninstalled, the ID stays there, and if you reinstall mta, the installer sees the id is aleady there, so it doesnt change it ;)

This is how lots of shareware operates. And I'm pretty sure we all know how easily some people seem to find that reg entry and 'crack' it. I would imagine that someone would get around what you are suggesting within a few minutes of installing Im afraid.

This is how lots of shareware operates. And I'm pretty sure we all know how easily some people seem to find that reg entry and 'crack' it. I would imagine that someone would get around what you are suggesting within a few minutes of installing Im afraid.

Who says you have to tell people of this feature? It could be embedded into the program, then when an admin bans a player it just bans the code, but it wont announce to the administrator that so and so code has been banned.

Its very easy to watch a program run and see what its doing to the registry. This would probably last for about 5 minutes.

The only way we could enfore an ID system would be to charge for MTA, and thats not going to happen. Hardware IDs may work, but again these can be faked.

eAi