PAGE FILE...!!!

hey guys i need help...i heard if u put ur page file on a diff hd or partition ur comp is faster....and well i was going to do that cuz i have an old 1.5 gig hdd laying around from an old pentium i used to own like 4 yrs ago...ne ways is there ne precautions or fuck up that myte make me a lil scketchy about oin this??

well I have had my page file on both a seperate partition & a seperate disc, I can safely say I've seen no difference at all in performance for any of the software I've used.

In your case I would think it would actually slow your machine down as the IDE bus runs at the speed of the slowest drive attached, If you have a fairly modern drive as your main one it is probably at least ATA 100 or 133, the 1.5 gig will probably be ata 33 or 66 which would mean halfing or worse the speed of your current drive.

having yer pagefile on another disk can cause more crashing actually, depending on the chipset/ide bus controller. my suggestion, if you want to try this for yourself, use a partition on the same disk.

as far as preperation goes, a defrag couldn't hurt.

ok well i found out after a lil resaerch that my drive is garbage...i am just guna use it for pix and and my html files and crap....but i also found out that ur page file size should be the amount of ram u have tymes 1.5 so example..... 352x1.5=528...so i went to settings and well to find out that my page file was set at 256...and im suppose to have it at 528...and ne ways now i have found major difference...when playing ram hungry games....thx for ur help tho....

i also found out that ur page file size should be the amount of ram u have tymes 1.5 so example..... 352x1.5=528...so i went to settings and well to find out that my page file was set at 256...and im suppose to have it at 528..

Yup thats a common tweak, both your min & max size should be set to that (in my case 512x1.5 = 768 min & max ) to prevent windows resizing the page file on the fly.

Oh & defrag after setting the page file size & check that the green block is only one piece.