MTA VC problems for no reason - I love it.

So, GTA3 MTA (which, for the record, pwns Vice City) works perfectly and I've had fun with it. However, due to lack of Aussie servers, I eventually tried VC MTA.

It is a completely fresh install of both VC and MTA 0.4 and I have uninstalled 0.3 MTA. Despite this, it gets within 1cm of the end of the loading bar (after clicking "Start Multi Theft Auto" on the main menu) and the entire computer dies. I get a unhandled exception error, and I can only get out of it by restarting my computer... all read-only attributes are cleared, it is unmodded (thus, no no-crc, no screwed up main.scm) etc and I can not find anything that would cause the problem.

Any help? I browsed through and couldn't find anyone else at all who had the same problem. :cry:

The Aussie version has been censored, and so the exe is different. For some reason, this causes incompatibilities with MTA (though I'm not sure why GTA3 works). The only way to fix it is to obtain a non-censored exe file.

Huh? I found nothing in either GTA3 or VC to be racist...

lmao... you didn't???

Obviously you didn't get to the objective that tells you to, "KILL ALL THE HAITIANS!!!"

http://www.wehaitians.com/an%20extremel ... 0game.html

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/gran ... 85346.html

And I mean this is just one example... if you've played the game all the way through and you didn't think it was racist - then you obviously are too.

I think you're missing the point that GTA is a game, not a real life set of instructions. So when GTA tells you to 'kill all the Haitians' its a game objective, not a real-life suggestion - how you find that even slightly racist is beyond me (even if you're Haitian yourself).

And I mean this is just one example... if you've played the game all the way through and you didn't think it was racist - then you obviously are too.

I guess you're right, I think I'm going to go kill some Haitians now

The 'Haitians' in GTA were the name of the gang run by actual Haitians. Killing all the Haitians meant killing all the members of the Haitian gang, not all the Haitian people. That's why I see this as no different from 'Kill all the Triads' - The Triads were all Asians, only they werent called 'The Asians'. This may be insensitive to some, but I don't find it racist.

The 'Haitians' in GTA were the name of the gang run by actual Haitians. Killing all the Haitians meant killing all the members of the Haitian gang, not all the Haitian people. That's why I see this as no different from 'Kill all the Triads' - The Triads were all Asians, only they werent called 'The Asians'. This may be insensitive to some, but I don't find it racist.

Are you sure? I thought I remembered reading that GTA3 was censored for Australia, but I guess I could be wrong.

gta3 was censored by removing the prostitution elements of the game (cant pick up hookers), but there was no racism.

as far as the haitian/cuban thing is in vc, thedvs01 is right, it was the name of a gang, not a reference to their ethnicity. it was just kind of uncreative on rockstars part to name them after their background.

whenever something is really popular (gta) there is going to be some asshat activist group jumping on it. It happens to all popular things. eg: power rangers (too violent), barney the dinosaur (too mindless), matrix (too much heracy),etc.

as far as I'm concerned, if i was rockstar, i would have l;aughed at the activist groups, and pointed out the millions of copies of the game sold, and said "those people don't seem to share your view"

Huh? I found nothing in either GTA3 or VC to be racist...

lmao... you didn't???

Obviously you didn't get to the objective that tells you to, "KILL ALL THE HAITIANS!!!"

http://www.wehaitians.com/an%20extremel ... 0game.html

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/gran ... 85346.html

Someplace else in these forums, or perhaps it was on IRC, someone pointed out (Either through an article via link or a post in here) that Vice City was set in the 80's, when gangs were identifying themselves as racial groups anyways. There were hatian gangs, there were cuban gangs, there were mexican gangs, asian gangs, all of these were perfectly normal representation of 1980's Urban reality.

Add on top of that, this is just a game... Just... a... game... The Society of Perpetually Pissed Off People (SOPPP [tm]) loves to pounce on things like this just so they can get on their soapboxes and scream alot.

The SOPPP reaches into every facet of the real world, including video games and turns little things like this into "Issues". These SOPPP folks are the same folks who have made it perfectly legitimate for people to be robbing a house, fall through the skylight and impale their leg on a butcher knife and then sue the owner of the house they were robbing for their injured leg and win. It's rediculous how there's always someone ready to stand up and cry "FOUL!" over little things like this.

Blegh

Yeah, if you look at '70s and '80s TV programmes, a lot of those are racist.

Why?

The Aussie version has been censored, and so the exe is different. For some reason, this causes incompatibilities with MTA (though I'm not sure why GTA3 works). The only way to fix it is to obtain a non-censored exe file.

That was the fix for 0.3, but it seems that 0.4 can work with a default censored exe! More to the point, it doesnt work with no-cd cracks, which is what I used by default after my expiriences with 0.3...

So thanks for the help anyway, got it working fine now :D

Oh, and both GTA3 and Vice were censored, but the only thing that was taken out (except for the later censoring of the haitian stuff) was the prostitutes. They were still there, but they acted as normal peds. I'm pretty sure, anyway; they didn't take out any missions, did they? :?

Yeah, if you look at '70s and '80s TV programmes, a lot of those are racist.

Why?

Even 'racist' isn't a very good word to describe it. Many shows during the 70's and 80's were based on racial stereotyped, but that still does not make them 'racist'. Racial stereotypes, or any stereotype at that, exist only because somewhere, at sometime, the group of people being stereotyped actually acted or did what the stereotypes said they did. My point is that stereotypes are based on fact (maybe not recent facts, but at one point in time most stereotypes held true). To say that either GTA game is racist is ridiculous, and anyone with a brain (and maybe a little sense of humour) would realize this. The same goes for the 70's and 80's television shows and movies - they were simply exploiting the stereotypes of the time period.

I thought racism was defined as a hate towards a race because of there race :? so GTA couldn't be racist because they killing the haitian's because the haitan's attacted them first if any of those people actually played the game they would have realized this (E.G In Guardian Angel the haitian's attacted the cubans and diaz) as it is part of the storyline.

Btw not finding somthing racist doesn't mean you are a racist.

I thought racism was defined as a hate towards a race because of there race :? so GTA couldn't be racist because they killing the haitian's because the haitan's attacted them first if any of those people actually played the game they would have realized this (E.G In Guardian Angel the haitian's attacted the cubans and diaz) as it is part of the storyline.

Btw not finding somthing racist doesn't mean you are a racist.

Actually, if you want to get particularly anal about VC's storyline.. Tex Avery actually started the War between the Hatians and the Cubans to lower property values. He sent Tommy over as a Cuban to start the fuss by attacking them at the funeral. The infinate exploding coffin mission ;) Why don't we have exploding coffins in MTA!?! HUMPH!

;)

On a side note, I agree.. Just because I don't find something racial doesn't mean that I am one

Every time I see a post with more than 5 repiles it goes way off topic, go back to topic and help him!!! who cares about raciesim black people are rasiset aganst white and we don't give a shit, but oh no some white guy called that guy a nigga, and hes in death row because of it. Raceism is an excuse to hate white people and get away with it. Black,asian,east indian native, mexicans and lations, can all call us raceist names and they get away with it. If I call a chinese person a chink, I would get shot, but if he called me a wigga he would get a good laugh. I Am not in the kkk, my best friend is black, and he sees things that way too. so shut your face BECAUSE YOU KNOW I am right.

That's possibly not the best way of putting it, but I agree with you. The government is so keen not to appear racist that the police force has to arrest an (almost) equal number of black and white people, so that it doesn't look like they're "targeting" a particular group.

Anyway, on topic:

Such a crash as you described could be caused by:

1. Setting the wrong version of VC in the client

2. The fact that your EXE has been changed. I heard an Australian say that GTA3 works fine with a censored EXE, but the VC problem has been with MTA for a long time.