Sounds and camera

Spajk

I just wanted to check before I report it on the bug tracker. Is it just me or the volume of the 3d sounds depends on the rotation of the camera ( I am not sure how it depends, but I can hear a sound better when I rotate the camera to certain rotation).

• Moderators

As xXMADEXx said, it's not a bug, the sound volume is calculated with the distance between the sound origin position and the camera (so not the player).

That's why if you move the camera, the sound volume is changing, even if the player is not moving.

• Moderators

No, it would confuse the brain and would be hard to locate where the sound comes from.

It's like that for every 3D games. You probably thought it was always depending on the player's position and rotation, but that's only true when you are playing in 1st person. So the camera is the player's head. In 3rd person, it's still depending on the camera.

If you hear something on your right, you will instinctively turn the camera to look on the right without moving the player you are controlling.

If you move the camera on the right but still hear it on your right because you didn't rotate the player, then you will be totally confused because what your ears says won't comfirm what your eyes says.

And when that happens, you generally become sick and will simply make you want to puke.

• Moderators

I wish I had time to build a client with 3D sound updated with the player instead of the camera.

I don't even know if it's possible though, but I'll try to do it and give you the link (or the steps to build it yourself if a VirusScan isn't enough for you). I'll try to do it arround july and you will see by yourself.

I think I know enough of C++ to build something like that.

But.

Today I did some "testing" and what I encountered is that the calculations don't seem to be right. Sometimes, I hear the sounds very loud, I move the camera just a bit and it's almost silent.