A very good suggestion

TwwIX

i haven't been to the official servers for a while, but from what i remember, it's not a swear block, but an insult block. (yeah I know, theres not much af a difference)

they chose to go the route of censorship, and I'm sure they have their reasons (you guys mormons?), and that's the reason that you won't find me on their too often (unless im really bored)

Agreed.

2 weeks ago I absent-mindedly said "oxymoron" while talking about something in the 10 player official and guess what happened. And this is merely one of thousands of examples...

It's time the "curse words" autokicking AND the msg boards post parser got ditched.

Or is Bump the only one calling the shots all over the place?

Agreed.

2 weeks ago I absent-mindedly said "oxymoron" while talking about something in the 10 player official and guess what happened. And this is merely one of thousands of examples...

It's time the "curse words" autokicking AND the msg boards post parser got ditched.

Or is Bump the only one calling the shots all over the place?

I think autokicking is a bit extreme. Can't it just blank out the word or give the person a warning ("3 strikes and you're out")?

It isn't possible to censor someones text, once its typed and you pressed enter its sent.

If you really feel the need to be able to harrass and insult other players then simply play somewhere that doesn't mind how you behave, but I think most people would prefer that the Official servers don't suffer from such abusive behaviour.

I think Prokopis' example of "oxymoron" was better. I agree that flaming shouldn't be tolerated, but it's annoying if you use a word that happens to contain an offensive term (oxymoron) or if you use an offensive term in a non-offensive context (e.g. bitch to mean dog).

Prokopis discovered that months ago and is well aware what happens when its spoken. He's been seen trying to get others kicked by getting them to say it hehe.

An initial one that was much worse was being kicked for saying Faggio, thankfully oxymoron is a little used word so not really a problem.

Of course if anyone would like to submit a script that will kick for moron but not oxymoron then we'll be more than happy to replace the current imperfect method

Yeah, but if you use a word in an insulting way, it automatically becomes an insult, no matter what the word is. Just as people are unlikely to be offended by casual swearing.

However, as proven by Shakespeare ("Thou whoreson impudent embossed rascal!"), some words are more insulting than others and they are more likely to be used in an insulting context. So it's impossible for the script to be perfect, but it is useful in those situations where it is necessary.

(Shakespearean Insulter: http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/Shaker/index.html )

Prokopis discovered that months ago and is well aware what happens when its spoken. He's been seen trying to get others kicked by getting them to say it hehe.[...]

Hmmm, just saw this. What are you talking about Bump? First time this happened to me was 3 weeks ago and like I said it was simply during a moment of carelessness. Moreover, I'm certainly not one to indulge in (much less start) immature games like that, so what gives?

Back on topic, my point is you made a decision some months ago about the verbal freedom in the official MTA servs for everyone among the adolescent and (mostly) adult crowd that frequents there. In the end, it may've been just as annoying as it was helpful at times and it might've been a bit extreme. That's what I'm saying.

Just try switching it off for a month, see what ppl think of it and in what way most take to their new freedom. I'm willing to bet it's gonna be far from the all-hell-breaking-loose scenario you seemingly fear so much.

Just try switching it off for a month, see what ppl think of it and in what way most take to their new freedom. I'm willing to bet it's gonna be far from the all-hell-breaking-loose scenario you seemingly fear so much.

Yeah, if admins are online, what's the problem?