Computer Trouble

what cpu do u have? if its a celeron' date=' your screwed. celerons are SLOW. a 2.8 celeron was performing worse than my dual 866 MHz p3....[/quote']

Pleaz 2 here u sorted it, i never wudo f though a sound card wud of fucked it up though, btw i have an amd athlon xp 2800+ proccesser but u dont need 2 know that really cz my game runs as smooth as it used 2 8):P

FX's are pretty good on games that have the "Made for Nvidia" logo on them (as you'd no doubt expect), so mine's great on UT2004 but not quite so good on GTA (although I'm beginning to suspect that it's not actually the card causing the juddering).

I'm not sure if that's the problem, but it could certainly be contributing to it...

I thought we established that it was the sound :?

I think that the CPU is playing the biggest part, so upgrading your CPU would probably fix the problem with the sound as well (it has to do all of the sound processing because it's onboard). So even if you can now get it running smoothly, Rival, that's probably with all settings on minimum.

Have you guys tried installing newer drivers for your onboard sound cards before you disabled them?

Yeah, that's a good idea.

Also, I remember that Project Eden (on my old PC) ran really slowly due to the onboard sound, but reducing the sound quality was enough to make it playable - disabling it completely wasn't necessary.

Finally, I personally cannot tell the difference between 44KHz and 48KHz quality, so I usually put sound quality on low or medium (even though I have an Audigy 2) to increase the framerate. There's no point in having extra processing used on things that you don't notice.