Visual Basics

Guest The Mutz Nutz

There aren't any demos for VB. However, there was a SAMS Publishing VB book that had a special version with it, which was fully functional except that you couldn't compile to an EXE. I've forgotten what the book was called though.

Anyway, here is the official site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/

Oh, and after clicking that link, I noticed that a free version of VB.NET is available, but you have to meet certain criteria in order to qualify.

Edit: Oh, btw, it's called "Visual Basic" not "Visual Basics". You wouldn't believe how many people make that mistake. "Basic" doesn't mean simple - it's an acronym for "Beginner's All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code". It should be written "BASIC", but for some reason, Microsoft dropped the capital letters.

first off, if u cant compile to a .exe it is not a compiler, its a glorified text editor :lol:, second if there r free C++ compilers, there HAS to be free VB compilers :roll:

He said he wanted a demo of VB. VB's not like C++ - you do not need to (manually) compile the program in order to run it, as VB has built-in functions to do that. Hmm... crap explanation, but I know what I mean.

And regarding your second point, that is entirely false. C++ and BASIC are not owned by anyone, so anyone can make compilers for them. Visual Basic and Visual C++ however are trademarks of Microsoft.

nice points, but like i said, i just started, and i think im gonna try VB first, sounds alot easier than C++ and im getting the basics of that already :roll:

Yeah, but I found that after a while you get to a point where you're using VB to its limits and trying to do things that are impossible or that VB doesn't do very well.

C++'s features r hard to learn, for example, it took me alot of the school day (extra time inbettween stuff) to learn these

/me finds notes he wrote

#include <----- header needed for cout command

int main ()

{ <---- begin

cout<<"this is my notes :P";

return 0;

int= # with no decimal

float= # with decimal

char= stores a single character

long time to learn just that, huh?

Yeah, the problem with C++ is that you have to add loads of headers in order to get it to do simple things. It's the kind of thing that you need to spend a weekend on, just seeing what kind of stuff is available by default. For example, some people would suggest using instead of - I'm not quite sure why (I am by no means an expert on C++).

VB is a much more easier programming language then C++ i find that C++ is more complicated

Yeah, C++ offers you more control over individual aspects. Unfortunately, this means that you have to write multiple code lines in order to do simple things, hence it's harder.

and i found that all the tuts (usually) out there cover command line C++ programs and compiling methods, not win32 applications, which really pissed me off cuz i printed out a 49 page tut on C++ programming...FOR CMD STYLE APPS....GRR! :x but i am slowly learning win32 apps, no worries :P

and i found that all the tuts (usually) out there cover command line C++ programs and compiling methods, not win32 applications, which really pissed me off cuz i printed out a 49 page tut on C++ programming...FOR CMD STYLE APPS....GRR! :x but i am slowly learning win32 apps, no worries :P

Yep, that's what I found, so I bought a book off eBay which was pretty good. It's SAMS Teach Yourself Visual C++ 6 in 21 Days by Davis Chapman and Jeff Heaton. It is dedicated to Win32, but it also has a cmd section at the back (strangely command line programs compiled with VC++ only work on Windows systems, which seems a little pointless to me).