GTA VC Windowed?

Guest Pidge_14

Hey does anyone know if theres a way to make vice city windowed? I hate having to Alt-Tab out of Vice city to talk on MSN and stuff like that.

Not currently no. (with mta).

I think what MrBump meant was that having it windowed would mess up all of the overlay stuff.

I don't think there is a way to make it windowed and I really don't see the use of it 2.

He's just given a use:

I hate having to Alt-Tab out of Vice city to talk on MSN and stuff like that.

Plus alt+tabbing gives him an unfair advantage over other players.

If we play windowed say HELLO LAG. You get 50 progs running at once

A lot of people run it in a window because their PCs are too slow to run it at a decent framerate full-screen, so it might reduce lag. Anyway, most people don't close programs before they start playing in full-screen.

People if we play this in MS-DOS mode we get no lag (fullscreen) cause msdos is the only thing working unless it gets interupted.

If we play windowed say HELLO LAG. You get 50 progs running at once

In what age do you live? MS-DOS mode is long gone (Win2K/XP weren't build on top of DOS...). Even when you run apps fullscreen other programs get CPU time because of the multitasking nature of Windows.

Though a possible windowed mode could increase CPU usage, mainly because the desktop also should be redrawn and some hardware accelleration might not work windowed.

But why bother, there is no windowed mode...

I've played many games in Windowed mode (Tribes, Jedi Knight) and it doesn't create any extra internet lag or computer lag.

It doesn't even take any extra CPU usage...

:D

If anything, it reduces usage because it has to draw in a smaller area.

Well, I just assumed they meant it'd take more usage because they would have Vice City loaded, MTA loaded, and plus any extra programs they were using because they were windowed.

Doesn't seem like too much of a problem...

8)

I don't think it's possible to Window Vice City at all, so doesn't that mean a complete remaking of the game itself?

:?

That's certainly not always true. In fullscreen the game itself can decide the video mode to run in. When windowed it has to conform to the desktop video mode. In cases where the color depth the game runs in isn't equal to the desktop color depth a conversion step has to be done, causing more CPU usage.

And as I said before, there's hardware acceleration that might not work in a windowed mode.

So, the reduction of drawing area might reduce usage, but there may be other factors that require more CPU power in a windowed mode. The actual outcome is totally dependent on the situation.

• 2 months later...
Yes you can run vice city windowed.... or *almost* any game for that matter.

Just get 3D Analyzer from http://www.tommti-systems.de/

And put a check where it says force windowed mode.

But as Mr Bump said, it will not work with MTA because MTA must create the process itself.

You do know this topic is a few months old, right? Don't bump old topics :P

this was actually a good bump, cause i'm sure some people are still interested in running vc windowed in sp, so that was a good bump (you don't see those really much)

Yes you can run vice city windowed.... or *almost* any game for that matter.

Just get 3D Analyzer from http://www.tommti-systems.de/

And put a check where it says force windowed mode.

But as Mr Bump said, it will not work with MTA because MTA must create the process itself.

You do know this topic is a few months old, right? Don't bump old topics :P

this was actually a good bump, cause i'm sure some people are still interested in running vc windowed in sp, so that was a good bump (you don't see those really much)

There's such a thing as a good bump? O_O Since when is a bump of a few month old topic a good bump, lol. If people wanted windowed VC, they'd make tons of topics about this :P