Bots?

ashdexx

Given the way actors are created in mta, and my limited understanding of it, would it be possible to add "bots" to a game, players that are part of a team, but not human controlled? for example, you could spawn as a cop, and there would be so many cop "bots" set up by the server admin, that would kill everyone on the other teams, but not you (or they could if it was set up that way, freeforall).

obviously there is no substitute for human intelligence, and there are limits to what could be coded, but there is always power in numbers. imagine 8 human players on a server, 2 teams, with 8 bots on each team. 24 players.

or at the very least, they could be chaeufers (sp?), and pick you up if you need a ride. another example:

/pickmeup --nearest bot would get in the nearest car and drive to you

*player gets in*

/driveto "Airport" --bot drives you to airport spawn point

i think i got the idea across, bots could be a neat addition, thoughts, opinions?

I personally would love bots, as I've always preferred playing over a LAN to the internet (faster, easier to discuss team tactics, etc). However, I don't reckon bots should be worked on by the team, as it would take up a large amount of their valuable time. Perhaps an extra member could be drafted for this purpose alone.

This would techincally be possible, thought it would be quite hard work, considering the complexities... I might have a look into it. I did make a pedestrian follow a path nicely once... so maybe this could be expanded...

eAi

Well i'm not promising anything... Although i'd probably empasize that this would be an MTA only addon (if it gets anywhere that is), as the interface with vc is too complex to bother with (at this stage anyway).

eAi

Well i'm not promising anything... Although i'd probably empasize that this would be an MTA only addon (if it gets anywhere that is), as the interface with vc is too complex to bother with (at this stage anyway).

eAi

Yeah, I meant thanks for looking into it.

this would require a lot of work serverside, any type of AI involves a Finite state machine in some way or another, and currently the server isn't constructed to handle that. SO.. I wouldn't count on it in the near future.

this would require a lot of work serverside, any type of AI involves a Finite state machine in some way or another, and currently the server isn't constructed to handle that. SO.. I wouldn't count on it in the near future.

That's ok. Thanks for considering it. Who knows, maybe in 2-cores time it'll be possible *crosses fingers*

It's not a matter of client cores; that's what he's tryin to tell you. The bots would have to be run on the server - much like all other (popular) FPS games that have 'em - and their data be broadcasted from there to everyone else. That implies the server becoming not only map-aware, but also knowledgeable of the other players' stats amongst other things, which I'm sure SP VC bot scripts take into account before deciding a course of action. On other words, you'd have to start running something else along with the present software on it similar to VC's mechanism and guess what kinda impact that would have on its performance to begin with.

Right now bots are a million miles away and you can take that to the bank.

BTW,

[...]any type of AI involves a Finite state machine in some way or another[...]

^ What are you talking about?

i got about the response i expected. glad i got intelligent responses though and not alot of "omg i love / hate that idea!".

ive been trying my hand at scripting some "bots" for some single player missions which is challenging enough, given my knowledge and the limitations of Vice. some opcodes that would be nice, don't exist.

im not sure i want to imagine the complexities involved it making it work online with all the variables of other players and map locations and.......yea :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

but like i mentioned in other "bot" requests , wouldnt the CPU and server contol these bots? taking up massive bandwidth (as connecting to itself as 10 players) and sloing down the comp/server CPU?...also, mta is MULTI theft auto for the reason that u can play with PEOPLE online, u want bots? play single player :roll: ...i deem this not worth the trouble :roll:

but like i mentioned in other "bot" requests , wouldnt the CPU and server contol these bots? taking up massive bandwidth (as connecting to itself as 10 players) and sloing down the comp/server CPU?...also, mta is MULTI theft auto for the reason that u can play with PEOPLE online, u want bots? play single player :roll: ...i deem this not worth the trouble :roll:

Ah yeah, but if it was implemented, it would be with a newer core, so it would most likely it would use less bandwidth and CPU power than current cores.

Also, sometimes it's nice to play next to someone you know without loads of hackers, cheaters and generally rude people.

you rasie a good point on the newer core, and i stand slightly correted, it would be fun to play against stupid bots IF there wetre other people involved :lol: also, wouldnt playin bots be hard...i assume they could TOTALLY comprehend lag, and damage u severly, on the other hand they could be retarded to lag, and miss all the time :lol:

The previous cores have taken very little cpu to run (on the server) so in all likelyhood server requirements will increase rather than decrease over successive cores. Though not excessively so.

Bandwidth requirements should decrease however.

Huh?!? All clients do their own (inbound) hit detection, i.e. you only get hurt if your machine says so.

If you meant where to place the bots, I'd say it's irrelevant; if there's lag on a client-side based game, the bots will be affected to the point of uselessness regardless of placement.

I SAID

i assume they could TOTALLY comprehend lag, and damage u severly, on the other hand they could be :o to lag, and miss all the time
Wow, never thought about the combo of bots and lag. That would indeed not work.
Any lag would seriously throw off server residing bots on a client-side based online game (ooh, didn't that sound awfully l33t ?).
Huh?!? All clients do their own (inbound) hit detection, i.e. you only get hurt if your machine says so.

If you meant where to place the bots, I'd say it's irrelevant; if there's lag on a client-side based game, the bots will be affected to the point of uselessness regardless of placement.

exactly im a genius, lol, seriously, if the bots were run off the server-side, might work a bit better, bkuz the bots would have lower ping (somehow thats better, lol) and besides, the bots would always shoot directly for the person on thier screen, and even with lag i am hit somtimes by people (FKU) lol, and maybe there is hope for this "bots" thing, but i myself find it useless 8) , have fun playin Multi-err...ummm....single player killing server manned bots-theft-auto, lol

well, that was incomprehensible.

the bots would have lower ping (somehow thats better, lol)

If you knew what ping was, you would understand why lower ping is better. ill summarize:

lower ping = less lag.

The idea was not to play a multiplayer game strictly against bots, but to have them in ADDITION to the human players. It would still be Multi theft auto, their roles, as i envisioned them, would simply be as team expansions (more ppl on your side) or car drivers that could pickup / dropoff people. i never meant for them to replace the competition, as you seem to mistakenly think.

It'd be hard to manage, as you'd have to decide which client would do the hit detection.

exactly. but with the lag, some clients might register a hit, while others do not. you can imagine the problems that could cause.

but like i mentioned in other "bot" requests , wouldnt the CPU and server contol these bots? taking up massive bandwidth (as connecting to itself as 10 players) and sloing down the comp/server CPU?...also, mta is MULTI theft auto for the reason that u can play with PEOPLE online, u want bots? play single player ...i deem this not worth the trouble

If you dont know what your talking about, dont respond. Single player has no "bots" in it. The uh, "bot data" shouldnt take up much more bandwith than a normal human controlled player, it sending the same data, coords, anim, gun ammo health, etc. the only additional data i can imagine that it would send, is the instructions for which actor to target and its accuracy. 10/1 is absurd. i deem thee unworthy to be in my topic. begone!

talidan said:

but it wud be hard to make ai. and about it being 'Multi-err...ummm....single player killing server manned bots-theft-auto', did u think about lan? its so boringover lan with about 4 peeps with a masssive city. bots wud make it last more and much less boring

acually i didnt, this is a open opinion forum, thats why i adressed u first, the other guy is jus flamin, like a asshole, ANYWAYS, ur right dude, i didnt even think of lan :wink:

ashdexx said:

If you knew what ping was, you would understand why lower ping is better. ill summarize:

lower ping = less lag.

i know what ping is u stupid bastard

(somehow thats better, lol)

apperantly u have NO sense of humor, when people r robots, that pisses me off

If you dont know what your talking about, dont respond.

no GTA:VC doesnt have bots, but it has comp controlled enemys, second if u read my other posts instead of only find SOME to flame, youll see i stated that i was corrected by JonChappell so next time STFU assface :P

JonChappell wrote:

Ah yeah, but if it was implemented, it would be with a newer core, so it would most likely it would use less bandwidth and CPU power than current cores.

Also, sometimes it's nice to play next to someone you know without loads of hackers, cheaters and generally rude people.