Special Request

Guest rediablo

I double posted because i think i posted in the wrong thread. Sorry.

We are a group of informatic engeneering students from a university in Portugal, and we really enjoy playing Vice City and we used to test your earlier versions of MTA.

But here is the Special Request. In the Computers we use here in the university we as public users do not have the permissions to install here the game as we can't write on the registry. So we grabbed the original, installed it in another pc, save it to 2 cd's and put the crack on it so we could play here. The problem now is that your new version, search's for the game path in (mta.ini or something) in c:\windows and we can't put files in c:\windows.

Could you guys help us get around this? We could in change do some beta testing if you desire.

Thanks in advance.

At the current moment there is nothing we can do, as that would mean we would have to rewrite a lot of code to read from a different location.

Sorry we could be of my help at this time, but maybe someone else can think of a workaround for you.

NOTE: I removed the other one (we only need one).

do you think you can send us the source code so we can change it ourselves or is it classified?

We only need a version that doesn't go get the location at mta.ini, but ask it to the user or go to c:\temp\mta.ini

I can garantee you that only us will see the code, and we only want to change the part about the game path. but i understand that you guys have only my word, and that may not count that much. If you can't release the code to us i can understand.

It's just that we could give you a hand, or maybe beta testing. After all we are all programmers.

Oops... I meant to say at the top that I don't represent the team.

I face several problems with my software because I tend to add the new code to the previous version's source, and therefore if people ask me to release a patch between releases, I have to refuse because there are lots of features currently not working 100% and undocumented. Either that, or I have to go through the code commenting out the new stuff - not fun :(

At the current moment there is nothing we can do, as that would mean we would have to rewrite a lot of code to read from a different location.

But it will be included in future versions, right?

Could you guys help us get around this? We could in change do some beta testing if you desire.

Just so ya know theres always a crapload of people who want to beta test and only a few do. Usually the addicts that stay here forever and ever are chosen...

/me lurks off

We are a group of informatic engeneering students from a university in Portugal... yadda, yadda, yadda

But here is the Special Request. In the Computers we use here in the university we as public users do not have the permissions to install here the game as we can't write on the registry. yadda, yadda, yadda

If you guys are informatic engineering students, wouldn't it just be easier to "obtain" admin access rather than try to jump through all these loopholes just to play mta???

Common... gaining admin access is WAY easier than what you're trying to do, even if you DID have the source code...

Even if you don't have any computer knowledge I think it would be easier to social engineer the password outta someone as opposed to the route you're taking here...

Work smarter, not harder!

seriously, windows pws, even overr local domains take like, what 30 seconds for a cracker to get now? lmao of course it depends on what type of logging they do. Although, school always bored me so much, i'd just skip and play my games, come back now and again to turn in what useless work it took for the state not to hold me back lol.

My school's computers are locked to the point of suffocation. But man, if I could install GTAVC on one... I'd do it in a heartbeat. ;)

I'd be playing MTA while other kids are amused with their lousy Internet flying games. :lol:

We have already logged as root before, but we didn't took the admin pass for the Windows Log in. We have cameras on the labs and if the detect that kind of s**t (and they can), we have serious trouble. (it feels good just to enter as root. whe don't steel a thing)

If we could, we would beta test for free, but we can't get the server and client to run. We are just offering a way to try to compensate.

But the team as given they're response, and it's no, so this discussion is over. i understand. I never expected you guys would give the script, i just hoped. Thanks anyway.