Picking Characters?

I noticed in the screenshot, the main character always seems to be the GTA3 "guy" and the others are characters such as the Cartel, Mafia, etc. So, can you pick your character or do you always show up as the "Guy" on your screen, but others see you differently? Anyone care to explain?

I'm pretty sure all those actors are just specified in the main.scm, which means only the MTA team can choose which ones they are. I'm not sure if there's a memory address to change it in-game (it would be easy, if that was the case), but if there is MTA hasn't found it. I'm guessing they make the two different teams different actors just so you can tell who is who. Although it's kinda dumb because you'll always look like the "guy" to you, and you'll look like some other model to everyone else.

First off, I want to stress that there is a big difference between player skins and player models. MTA will not support distribution of custom player skins. Only the changing of the ingame player model will be used. We are currently working on this, but it is not really high priority at the moment. It's not getting a new skin (model) that is the problem, as it is telling the other clients that your character is using that model as skin. So for now, you'll see other players dressed up in gangwear, but your character will be the default player model. (so you can still use your custom skins while it lasts =P) As some of you might have read, I've been working on an ingame spawning interface, which will let you choose a side and wear the appropriate model, but according to IJsVogel, it will not work for a while, since the players cannot be 'checked' in the main.scm yet.

If the characters you can play looks like (or close to) the people in the streets, it would be cool, if a walk-button (like the run-fast button) can be made, so u can "hide" in the crowd.