MTA:VC Reviews - Think you could be a PC Game journo?

Si|ent

This is a friendly competition giving you a chance to flex your creative and journalistic skills, (or show that you in fact have none!).

What I'd like is player reviews of MTA:VC, in any style you like. Imagine you are writing freelance for a review magazine or website. Screenshots arent necessary but if you do use them then please post only thumbnails into the thread, (you may of course link those smaller images to full size ones if you so wish.)

Content is up to you, but perhaps a little history, first impressions, the community and future plans could be mentioned as well as the gameplay experience itself of course.

Post entries in this thread.

: Please note this is a friendly competition, there are no prizes, (Although I may be persuaded to give you a special forum title if your work is outstanding). Submitted reviews become the property of the MTA team and may be used by us in the future for advertising or contact emails, although we have no current plans to do so :

Happy writing.

Edited by Guest

Mrbump will probably be judging... so Spelling, Grammar and punctuation, paragraphing etc will have to be 100% - May i suggest http://www.insertcredit.com and read their reviews on games

You will also be judged on how much you suck up to bump and how many times you bribe him (remember that we like USD people =), bribes accepted, no blackmail allowed =P*

* OKok... ignore the last paragragh, though if you want to send me $$$ for no reas.... ;-p[/url]

Well here it is. At very least it may inspire some people to do better :P

Review:

The very first time I played Vice City, I remember talking with my mates and saying “Imagine if it had multiplayer”. Just imagine, a virtual city full of players from around the world to befriend… or behead. This comment was of course met by 101 good technical reasons why “that would NEVER work!” Thank goodness the team at MTA (Multi Theft Auto) are not so easily discouraged.

MTA is exactly that, a working, playable Multiplayer MOD for Vice City. The concept is mind blowing and the results are easily as awesome. Vice City has been turned into a living breathing city where the other pedestrians and road users alike are real live players from around the internet. No longer do they walk aimlessly around in a pre-scripted eternity, longing for someone with “I” and not “AI” to run them over.

When you see a ped or driver in MTA:VC you KNOW it’s a formidable human opponent… or a powerful ally …and that’s where the sense of in-game “community” kicks in.

Call me old, but I remember going up to the local park, meeting with some mates, having a quick chat and deciding what game we would all play. Be it soccer, war, or a bike chase, we would all agree the rules, teams and the game would commence.

In MTA, the same thing happens. The freedom which is Vice City remains the foundation of MTA:VC. Yes there are pre-scripted “game modes” but in my experience (on public servers) people meet, chat, and then decide on a “game” to play. Teams are formed and rules are “agreed”.

Of course back in my old fashioned park, someone would get board and break the rules and then be subject to what ever punishment the rest of us saw fit on the day. So in the world of MTA, when I decide to use the Military truck to win a round in “Blood Bowl”, the self appointed judge of the game declares my actions as “Cheating” and the order “Everyone kill CHR15T05” is given. Suddenly a friendly stock car race on a dirt track is turned into a full on game of fugitive which spills into the metropolis of Vice City. Anything goes as cars, helicopters and gun men all give chase. The adrenalin finally kicks in as I flee from intelligent human opponents as opposed to moronic computer controlled cops.

Familiar in game futures such as the radar have been adapted so instead of pointing the way to the next mission or contact, the other online players are displayed and can be found with ease. Hold down the right hand mouse button and the radar helpfully points to the location of all the cars and aircraft in vice city. Even these have been re-located by the MTA team and placed strategically so that you will never have to run too far to pick up a ride.

Which brings me onto the team. MTA is already a stable and working system, even though it hasn’t been declared as v1 yet. While the moders and developers behind it obviously know their stuff, the forums show the true “community” behind the mod. I have seen many forums asking for game suggestions in the past, but sadly most are plagued by spammers and people only capable of declining your ideas using words like “n00b, looser, cheat, haxor” and the like. The MTA forums on the other hand only seem to contain sensible suggestions and debates. Every possibility from “when will boats be included” to “should players be allowed to own everyone by using helicopters with mounted rocket launchers” is discussed maturely and rationally (for the most part). This coupled with the very visible and frequent presence of the moderators and developers on the forum make it obvious to all users that each and every comment is read and considered. The team, developers and forum goers alike seem to gel, all with the one common goal: to build a multiplayer Vice City TOGETHER.

"[...]be it soccer, war, or a bike chase, we would all agree (on) the rules[...]"

"[...]back in my old fashioned park, someone would get bored and break the rules[...]"

"[...]The adrenaline finally kicks in as I flee from intelligent human opponents[...]"

"[...]Familiar in game features such as the radar[...]"

"[...]Even these have been relocated (no need for a hyphen) by the MTA team[...]"

"[...]While the modders and developers behind it obviously know their stuff[...]"

"[...]I have seen many forums asking for game suggestions in the past[...]"

^ That needs rephrasing.

"[...]The team, developers and forum goers alike seem to gel, all with the (not needed) one common goal[...]"

And some other minor mistakes, such as starting a new paragraph with a direct reference to the previous one, like the beginning of your eighth paragraph etc.

Overall good, fluent wording, but the structure seems kinda weird to me. It's as if you were just jumping from one issue on to another as they were coming to your mind. All in all a very good review with some interesting figures of speech; witty and with a good range of expressional capabilities.

And that was my butting in deconstructive criticism :P.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well, here's my review

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all remember those good old days that we played gta1 and gta2 with our friends online. Everyone heard the news that gta3 would be in 3d, everyone was exited and thought that there also would be a multiplayer part in. GTA3 came out, but no multiplayer, something terrible happened.

On 9 february 2003 someone found an open-source trainer for his favourite game, gta3. He found some stuff, started to mess a bit with it and gta3am (gta3:mta 0.1) was born. No-one believed that it was possible to play gta3 as a multiplayer game, but it was. That was a bit of then young days, but now we have a awesom game, that is better than Rockstar would produce.

GTA3:MTA

GTA3:MTA is the gta3 version of mta. It still has much problem with the newest version (0.3b) but it is still great to fly the dodo with your friends, hunt eachother down, race with eachother and last but not least, have the most fun with eachother that you ever had.

GTA3:MTA is a great step towards the 'real' multiplayer games. It supports 32 players and yu can choose between 2 sides, mafia or diablo. However, the mod has some bugs, like much lag and some people may experience that they ca'n only see some actors that only run. The bugs aren't a big problem, you can still have loads of fun. Not much people are playing this version, but the people that don't play it, don't know what they are missing. I would give this mod 4/5, it wont get the 5th star because of some bugs that are anoying.

MTA:VC

gta3:mta is nothing compared to mta:vc. mta:vc gives you less lag, even more fun, more featurs and better gameplay. In this version, you can play with a maximum of 26 players and choose between 6 different caracters, from cop to racer. The deathmatch mode gives you the abitlity to kill everyone you want, have fun and lose agression. The 3 arena's from vc are also accesible. In the bloodring you can bump onto eachother like you do it in SP. The dirtring is meant for stunting with eachother, but it isn't great to do good stunts in. If you are up for a fast race with some nice cars, than the Hotring is perfect for you. Offcourse you can also do all this stuff outside.

You need to do your best stunts in stuntmode. In stuntmode some ramps will be added to the city to preform the trick that will scare your friends. The current stage of stuntmode doesn't show the money you have earned on the scoreboard but it will change in later versions. MTA:VC is the best mod i've ever played, really! Oh! I almost frogot to tell you about some other awesom features.You can enter as a passenger in a car/bike by pressing the camera change key, you also see a healthbar and nickname at every player.

Aeron from the mta community made a great tool for admins from mta:vc servers called MTAMA (MTA mIRC Add-on). This addon allows you to run scripts on your server and admin it like you never did before! This makes mta:vc more fun than it is!

I'll give mta:vc 5/5 cause this is the best mod i've ever seen!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i dunno, mad boy was just blaring off a feature list, some bugs, and the hisotry of the mod. no personal experiences or anything along the lines to liven it up. theres my review of ur review ;P

• 2 months later...