Failure detecting version of Vice City.

Hi all,

I have a problem with my MTA. All seems to work fine until I try to run a game. I run ASE, select a server, it connects (on most occasions anyway, unless I time out), and I can chat to people. When I click on 'start game', in the bottom corner of the client, however, a dialogue box appears saying: "Failure detecting version of Vice City. Aborting..."

I cannot seem to fix this. I tried selecting 1.0 and 1.1 from the game information box (why are they still there, considering I have VC 0.2?), but the same message appears. It does not come up with a screen where I can select my VC root to start the game like it normally should.

I have tried the readme file and various manuals but I cannot seem to find an answer.

I cannot wait to play the game, any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same problem here. I have the original GTA:VC whit all original files.

But when i press 'start game' it says that 'Some or all of your Game Files have been modified. Please reinstall VC / MTA. (CRC check faild)'.

I have reinstalld and everything and my brother haves the same cds and installation, it works for him :?

Same problem here. I have the original GTA:VC whit all original files.

But when i press 'start game' it says that 'Some or all of your Game Files have been modified. Please reinstall VC / MTA. (CRC check faild)'.

I have reinstalld and everything and my brother haves the same cds and installation, it works for him :?

That means you still have modified files. You probably installed or uninstalled mods. MTA needs a clean VC installation to work well. Completely delete VC and reinstall it. Reinstall MTA as well.

a dialogue box appears saying: "Failure detecting version of Vice City. Aborting..."

You probably have a no-cd crack...

I also have the same problem...I reinstalled vice city and mta...still "failure detecting version" error still occurs! I removed the mta.ini from windows..Joined a server, clicked on start game..then selected gta-vc.exe, but still....it doesnt work.

p.s, i do not use no cd cracks and I have retail version....

It must be the australian version problem they mentioned in the FAQ. Mine doesnt work either, & you guys who cant get it to work are from aust too. Same problem. Dissapointing...

The previous version gave me the unhaldled exception error, and this one gives me the version error. yey

Although I really doubt it will help, you can manually set the path to your game in the mta.ini file which is located in your windows folder.

You should have an entry like this:

[game-exe]

location=F:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Vice City\gta-vc.exe

Where location is the full path to your gta-vc.exe

Give it a shot, but I doubt it will help you at all. Sorry guys.

[game-exe]

location=F:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Vice City\gta-vc.exe

This had my path in it already. I havnt dont a reinstall but i've never changed anything on my original retail installation.

hm must be somethin different in the aust version, i wonder if there is anyone with a retail aust ver that can get 2.0 to work??

This kind of thing must be so frustrating for developers :wink:

That, and the Aussie version of the game is edited (no prostitutes, and a few things have been changed) :(

Are u talkin GTA 3? yea it is edited, but you can just change ur regional settings to US and you can pick up prostitutes 8)

VC doesnt have prostitutes tho does it.....