A post from an old MTA developer :)

ChrML

Question

Hi folks,

It's been a long while since I've been working on MTA or even posting on this forum.A long time ago I was an active MTA developer for quite a few years. I joined when GTA:SA was very new, less than a month old, and the rest of the team had started developing the first MTA:SA Race. From then on I was on the team during MTA: Race and the first releases of Deathmatch with the resource system known from today. Then my activity faded out. Geez, this must be almost 5 years ago, time flies by!

Unfortunately my life has been very busy those years as I've been getting more social life (my previous life had nothing of that, hehe). Then went from school to work and started on other projects such as working on my car. That unfortunately means significantly less time for real dedicated programming. With only a few hours every other day, it's not easy to be just as into the project and work with the kind of dedication and addiction such a huge project requires. That's the reason for my activity fading out and it's unfortunately unlikely that I will ever come back as an active developer again. :(

But, what I came here to say is that I'm really impressed with the quality of this community and the dedication shown here over all these years. And I'm very proud that I have been a part of it! It's very cool to see all these amazing resources still being made and that there are still people working very hard on MTA itself. All the hours being put into it! I hope MTA and the community will continue to live for many many years. There are lots of amazing mods out there for a lot of games, but the MTA community is definitly the coolest and the biggest of them all.

Keep it going mates! Good work!

Cheers from Norway,

Christian "ChrML" Lundheim - Former MTA Developer

11 answers to this question

Hey ChrML, good to see you here - you've certainly been missed. I'm in a similar situation to you (though I did commit some code this year!) MTA, and other mods I guess, are always been like that - people come and go. Real Life often gets in the way!

If you're ever in London, let me know.

Active developers FTW! Fortunately, I'm just a kid that has the enough time for programming stuff (ye also playing & having social life) and well I want to learn C++ but the bad luck comes to me (I don't even know where I can practice).

Well, I don't have enough words to say, I don't know you but well I can say Hey! If you were an active developer you should be coding here only 3 days... oh yeah I love to remember old times, at least just remembering them some hours.

:arrowup::arrowup::arrowup: Thumbs up to the MTA Team! :arrowup::arrowup::arrowup:

Hey ChrML, good to see you here - you've certainly been missed. I'm in a similar situation to you (though I did commit some code this year!) MTA, and other mods I guess, are always been like that - people come and go. Real Life often gets in the way!

If you're ever in London, let me know.

Good to see you're still here, Ed!

I certainly will tell you if I'm going to London, it would be nice to actually meet eachother after all these years of internet chatter! :)

Active developers FTW! Fortunately, I'm just a kid that has the enough time for programming stuff (ye also playing & having social life) and well I want to learn C++ but the bad luck comes to me (I don't even know where I can practice).

Well, I don't have enough words to say, I don't know you but well I can say Hey! If you were an active developer you should be coding here only 3 days... oh yeah I love to remember old times, at least just remembering them some hours.

:arrowup::arrowup::arrowup: Thumbs up to the MTA Team! :arrowup::arrowup::arrowup:

I actually started learned basic C++ from http://cplusplus.com by following the tutorials only about 2 years before I started working on the MTA team. I started several smaller game projects first where I did mistakes and gradually learn how to lay out code and structurize big projects. But note that I had quite a bit self-learned experience from other programming languages such as Delphi and Basic, which I started coding a little basic stuff when I was 12-13 years old. Learning to code is not about the language you learn as you can adapt what you learn to most languages. It's all about coding experience and structure :). Start in the small, for example LUA- scripting is a great way to start as the results come quickly.

I encourage you to learn coding and begin on a few small projects to learn. It's very fun and it makes you very intelligent. Just don't do as me and skip all the social life, hehe, you certainly want friends and girlfriends aswell, it's a bitch to get into that stuff as an adult when everyone else is experienced. :)

Coding for only 3 days would be hard, hehe, as it takes a bit more than 3 days to get deep into the codebase again. :D

• Discord Moderators

Not that I've ever spoken to you, but I recognise your name. Could it be you were a little active in 2008? That's about from where I remember seeing you the last time. I wasn't registered on the forums back then, only browsed the bug tracker.

Btw, do you still drive a lot of Volvos in Norway? :P

It’s always nice to hear from those who have paved the way.

Let’s hope that this community does continue to expand and stay for many more years to come. It’s unreal to imagine that a decade is nearly upon us when 2013 arrives.