Passenger jacking

I've been working on the vehicle entry / exiting for 1.1 for a while now (ok, to be honest, it was slacking / other stuff I had to do most of the time) but recently when trying to fix my entry / exiting code, I kind of stumbled upon a rather interesting "issue": Passenger jacking. (Gee, who would have guessed that from the title?)

So I've spoken to ryden and being able to jack passengers seems like a good idea overall, if there's a way of specifying whether that's actually desired.

• Make "enter_passenger" control (default: G) take the closest seat possible, jacking who's inside
  • Make "enter_passenger" control find an empty seat and take that instead (Current default)

So:

- Which of these do you think should be default?

Easy enough question: Should entering as passenger just rid the closest passenger of his seat, or should police on RP servers politely ask criminals to leave their vehicle when arrested?

So now that I've asked that, another question:

- How should players / servers gain access to the alternate method of entering as passenger?

Imagine you would want to sit with 4 people in an Admiral with passenger jacking enabled. You'd have to position yourself around the car in such a way that the closest door is really the one you wish to enter, or you end up jacking every soul in the car just to get into the right seat. However, without passenger jacking, it would be kind of stupid to steal someone's car and drive it half way to your hideout, just to notice some old lady sitting right next to you. (Somehow glued to the seat so tightly you'd wonder why there's no way to remove the entire seat from the vehicle in the first place)

A possible solution we considered is adding a parameter to the "enter_passenger" command to allow you to decide whether you want the jack functionality or not. This could be used to both players and servers:

Players: /bind [key] enter_passenger jack

Servers: bindKey ( [key], "down", "enter_passenger", "jack" )

If you have any other suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

I would do it the GTA:IV way: Long G press: jacking, Short G press: finding the first available seat.

Additionally, I would create another control that is a bind to a long G press so it can be activated by the scripts as well, such as enter_passenger_jacking.

I would do it the GTA:IV way: Long G press: jacking, Short G press: finding the first available seat.

Additionally, I would create another control that is a bind to a long G press so it can be activated by the scripts as well, such as enter_passenger_jacking.

It's a really good idea, I loved that, but there is a little problem, it will increase the car jacking for some servers (I can't imagine how for freeroam).

• 2 weeks later...

I remember I reported that once and of course it seems logical that you should be able to jack passengers as well. Also when trying to jack the driver from the the passengers side you need to walk all the way around the car to jack the driver only instead of the way it works in single player (jack the passenger, switch to drivers seat)

the ability tor servers and players to bind this manually + default bind on hold g sounds reasonable to me, but only if its possible to implement properly (no cuts in the animation while walking to the vehicle, that would look awkward)