screenshots on homepage....

bsr

is there really any basis for assuming dial up users effect cable users? the way it seems to me, they are only capable of pulling so much bandwidth, much less that people like us (cable/dsl subscribers), therefore, i dont think them trying to play would effect us. besides, thats just THEIR connection to the server. i dont see why everyones ping would go up just because they cant download as much. is this right?

No, I work in networking and over 200ms is bad bad bad ... The reason why it will affect cable users is dialup pings are typically around 300ms, and there upstream capacity is very low... If there position in the game isnt updated in semi-realtime then cable/dsl users will see the dialupers skipping all over the place, effecting gameplay. And how the current version handles bandwidth it is not made for dialupers (like in any online game) ... Dialup is not made to be used for online gaming, period.

• MTA Team

ping and lag are two totally different things and there is absolute no reason to associate one with another.

Ping is the response time, the time it takes to send a packet from the server to the client and back. The ping has nothing to do with the speed of your modem but everything with the route the packets take. The more hops and the further the distance, the higher the ping.

Lag on the other hand is caused one packets can't be send or received fast enough or when there is a huge packet loss. Due to this the player is only sending and receiving data once in a while so the player seems to be jumping all over the place.

I've seen people lag with a ping of 50 and i've seen people with a ping of 900 playing lagfree (but then again it takes almost a full second before you see him fire after he pushed that fire button)

yes they are different things, but try to play bf1942 with a ping of 200ms (you will freeze with connection errors), it will be unplayable ... Not to mention most servers will auto kick at around 200 ..

Instead of saying lag and ping are 2 different things, its more logical to say bandwidth and ping are 2 different things... bandwidth is capacity and latency(pings) is speed (responce) in RTT ..

WTF? ok hmm disagree with you and agree with NoReason you dont know what you are talking about so dont post.

Look in the screen shots again, youll see me name and on one ss my ping is 193 and one the other its 224 , and i have cable so you are saying that because :YOU want they should do it? Well your wrong, iff version 0.1 had something like that you would be kicked out a lott beleive me.

no one should be on dialup anyway .. dialup is NOT made for games.. The reason why so many dialupers on is because most of you guys are kids.

You are really really wrong. The Reason i am on Dial up is because broadband is not yet availible in my Area. This is the case with many other players that may come from the UK.

So Essentially all you are saying it "Kick off all people on Dial Ups because they lag the server"

Would you like it if that ever happened to you?

no one should be on dialup anyway .. dialup is NOT made for games.. The reason why so many dialupers on is because most of you guys are kids.

You are really really wrong. The Reason i am on Dial up is because broadband is not yet availible in my Area. This is the case with many other players that may come from the UK.

So Essentially all you are saying it "Kick off all people on Dial Ups because they lag the server"

Would you like it if that ever happened to you?

whats wrong with dialup? sure it's slower but didnt you used to be dialup? i think we all did unless you are new to a pc or to the internet so i dont think it's fair kicking dialups

bsr you evidently do not have a clue what you are talking about, try researching and finding information about the mta betas released so far, the netcode, the average ping etc. i will NOT stand for 'bandwidth bigotry' on here, MTA is free for ALL, not some group of stuck up elitist broadband users who feel they shouldnt have to associate with anyone with a ping over a certain number.

High ping != Worthness.

So get over it or go frequent some other forum.