Future MTA Game Modes.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well to be honest with you, upon further review...Ive come to realize that there are games exactlylike the one i just described.....but they have their limits when it comes to real-time action. For example (bare with me now, this does relate to the game suggestions topic) Age of Empires, a game ive just recently been introduced to, is a wonderful example of real-time strategy. However, there is no "Action". And when I say action, I'm talking about jumping out of the boat, onto land, and massacurrin everything in sight.

wow...... dont get me wrong i sorta like that idea but it would seem hard to script...... but then again i dont even know how to script..... anyways i like the idea

No, this would not be difficult to script...ittl just be a challenge. And who doesnt like challenges. After all, everything i said is "do-able". I'm sure I can pop in the dev room and do this. Its an unharmful element of strategy for well us grown folks (im 21 now so im considered well uh nm). Uh........f

• 2 weeks later...

CnR

Cops and Robbers 8)

If anyone has played the game Midtown Madness 1 or 2, they know about this online game mode. I think it will fit nicely into MTA because in Midtown Madness you also have a large, free-roaming environment (meaning you can go anywhere you want to in the city), and it works extremely well in that game.

I think that I have covered all the points in how Cops and Robbers would work. Please read ALL of the below information below to fully understand this game mode.

- To put it simply, it is Capture the Flag, using cars.

- There will be one team of cops (that use cop skins and maybe SWAT skins), and one team of robbers (that use robber skins and maybe some other bad guy skins).

- The objective is for one of your teammates to get the BRIEFCASE by driving through it, and deliver it to the indicated location. Every time someone picks up the BRIEFCASE, their team gets a small amount of points in the form of money, and every time the BRIEFCASE is delivered, the team earns a much bigger sum. The BRIEFCASE can be found by looking for a BRIEFCASE icon on your radar. Once you have picked up the briefcase (by driving your car through it), everyone is notified that you have it (PlayerX has the Briefcase!). You will also appear as the BRIEFCASE icon on everyones radar, so that everyone knows where you are. If possible, there would be a hovering briefcase over the guys car who has it, so that everyone can easily tell who the BRIEFCASE-carrier is on the game screen. Or better yet (and I know that this is possible), the BRIEFCASE-carrier will spray particles from the back of his vehicle in the form of dollars bills, to allow for easy identification of the BRIEFCASE-carrier.

- If you have the BRIEFCASE, you must try and get to the hideout if you're a robber, or to the bank if you're a cop, in order to deliver it and earn your team points. Driving into a pink cylinder (like in regular vice city missions), which represents the hideout or the bank (depending if you're a robber or cop), will complete a successful delivery, and points will be awarded to your team.

- Once the BRIEFCASE has been delivered, another briefcase will spawn randomly in any of 30 or so locations on the map. A new bank (the cops' BRIEFCASE delivery place) will also randomly spawn in one of 40 or so possible locations, and a new hideout (the robbers' BRIEFCASE delivery place) will randomly spawn in another one of those 40 locations.

- Here is an example of how the game would work... A player from one of the teams picks up the BRIEFCASE (PlayerX has the Briefcase!), drives it to the hideout or bank (to the hideout if he's a robber, and to the bank if he's a cop), and delivers it by going through the pink cylinder to earn his team some points. Everyone will then be notified of the delivery (PlayerX has delivered the Briefcase!). A new BRIEFCASE, a new hideout, and a new bank will appear after the BRIEFCASE is delivered. Another player (usually it would be the closest one to the BRIEFCASE's location) will race to the BRIEFCASE to pick it up, and he will try to deliver it to the hideout or bank in order to score his team some points. The cycle goes on until either the time is up for the round, or the point limit has been reached. The team with the most points wins. There is a catch to delivering briefcases though, as explained in the next paragraph:

- BRIEFCASE's are dropped once the carrier of the BRIEFCASE is bumped hard enough by another vehicle. So for example, if a player from the cops team is hit by another player (from either team), he drops the BRIEFCASE and the player that hit him picks it up. Everyone on the server will be notified (PlayerX has the Briefcase! PlayerY has the Briefcase!). So if a robber gets the gold, he will try his best to drive to the hideout without being hit. His teammtes can try to defend him by crashing into the cop's that are chasing him, or by using any other means, to keep them away.

- BRIEFCASE's have an effect vehicle performance. If you are driving an Infernus, do not expect to zoom past everyone else. The weight of the briefcase will slow down your quick little car's acceleration. If you are driving a semi, a humvee, or another big, powerful car, it should not effect performance too much. Hence, having the BRIEFCASE will decrease your car's performance so that your opponents will have a higher chance of catching you.

- The amount of force required to successfully drop a BRIEFCASE-carrier will also depend on the the type vehicle he is driving. If he is driving a Banshee or a Comet, then a small bump may be enough to get the gold from him. If he's driving a Packer or some type of bus, it will take a pretty strong hit to drop him.

- So as a general rule (and this is for balancing reasons), the bigger and heavier your vehicle, the less effect BRIEFCASES will have on it's performance, and the harder it will be for other cars to drop you. The smaller and quicker cars will have a much more noticable performance hit when carrying the BRIEFCASE, and will be much easier to drop.

- YOU CAN ONLY CARRY YOUR BRIEFCASE WHILE INSIDE YOUR CAR. You CANNOT carry the BRIEFCASE around on foot. If you get out of your car while you have the BRIEFCASE, it will drop onto the road, and everyone will be notified that the BRIEFCASE has been dropped (PlayerX has dropped the Briefcase!). If your car explodes with the BRIEFCASE, it will also drop onto the road, and players will be notified. The only way to pick up the BRIEFCASE is to drive through it with a car.

- The only reason a player would be on foot, would be to switch to another vehicle, or to shoot enemy vehicles (either to keep them away from your BRIEFCASE-carrying teammate, or to blow up the BRIEFCASE-carrying enemy so that he drops the BRIEFCASE).

- ONLY CARS WILL BE ABLE TO PICK UP BRIEFCASES. Boats may also be allowed, but helicopters and planes will not be able to participate. It is nearly impossible to catch and bump into a flying BRIEFCASE-carrier.

- Each team's and each individual player's scores will be displayed in the F11 menu, and at the top left of the screen (if possible).

Phew :shock:. That is all of the relevent info I could think of to explain Cops and Robbers.

One problem that the game may have may have has to do with the huge size of the Vice City map. I think it would be better if Cops and Robbers was only played on one of the two islands. It will be very hard to race all the way accross a long bridge to get to a BRIEFCASE or a BRIEFCASE-carrier. By the time you get onto that island, the BRIEFCASE would have already been delivered. I actually think that the Portland map in GTA3 will be best suited for Cops and Robbers, but it can definately still work well with one of the Vice City islands.

If you have anything you would like to revise, or if you have any suggestions/ideas, go ahead and post :wink:.

EDIT1: Added the particle-spraying idea.

Edited by Guest

haha, yeah it did take me a while to write it. (maybe over an hour total? i donno, i didnt do it all at once). anyways, i hope someone does read the whole thing, especially one of the devs, because i would like to know if all of that stuff can be created in Blue via the add-on maker.

Lol erorr ive readed it now

Took me 5-10 minutes to actually finish reading it

Anyways its a nice idea yea and it can be done ;)

There is a way to just close the bridges ;)

The bridge on Prawn Island, Starfish Island and the one in Washington Beach can be closed i guess

As for the blips for the Briefcase etc etc

It can be done aswell

Im sure of that

For thay spraying money on the road i think that could be hard but might can be left away

This is actually a game to play with teams of 6-10 so 20 people in total

If u do 26 well i'd say u would have total chaos and it will look like the destruction derby thing in single player vice city ;)

Anyways its a nice idea and i hope it can be done ;)

As what i would suggest is a plane Capture the flag without vehicles ;)

That only one of the islands be used aswell

Well plain old description but u guys know how to play CTF

There is a way to just close the bridges ;)

The bridge on Prawn Island, Starfish Island and the one in Washington Beach can be closed i guess

ya, i know that.

As for the blips for the Briefcase etc etc

It can be done aswell

Im sure of that

nice... that is good to know.

For thay spraying money on the road i think that could be hard but might can be left away

actually check out out the MTA BLUE page,

blue_micro_particles_small.jpg

i want to do exactly what is shown in that pic, except green dollar bills will replace those red stars. thats actually what gave me the idea. :P

This is actually a game to play with teams of 6-10 so 20 people in total

well, it really depends on the size of the map. i think they might be too big but then again that might not be a problem. the maps in Midtown Madness 2 (the game that has a game mode like this) are pretty big and 2v2's work fine, as do 4v4s (which is the maximum amount of players you can have in MM2). but of course there is no way to know how it will work out without actually trying it.

If u do 26 well i'd say u would have total chaos and it will look like the destruction derby thing in single player vice city ;)

and thats bad?

As what i would suggest is a plane Capture the flag without vehicles ;)

That only one of the islands be used aswell

Well plain old description but u guys know how to play CTF

i dont really see how that would work because as ive said, it is extremely easy to avoid other planes and you pretty much have a free ticket to the delivery place.

Water Caprute the Flag

----------------------------

2 islands 2 teams 2 flags boats and water. take a boat and capture the enemies flag on the other island and bring it back to ur base.

Big Kahuna

-----------------------------

one person who is really strong and gets and weapons he wants and every one else can pick a m16 pistol and a stuby shot gun and u need to kill the guy who is really strong.

No Name

-----------------------------

one team at army base and another team at airport the team at airport needs to infaltreate the army base and kill every one there. also u should ad the smoke bomb mod so the army base ppl can throw the smoke bombs and the other ppl can't see

Hiding Devel

------------------------------

There is a maze like map and one person is "it" he starts at the beginging of the maze. other ppl start in a hiding place. there might be 32 random spawn places so 1/2 of them or less will be empty. "it" will have granades, Smoke bombs , M60 , and molotove and pistol and 2x the health. the oTHEr ppl will have SMG's. so "it" needs to get to the end of the maze with out dieing ( if it is to hard then make it they try 2x - 4x).

Sniper Land

-------------------------------

JUst a hole bunch of sniper posts and ppl and u must kill the other ppl and u only have a sniper.

Sniper Land Teams

-------------------------------

JUst a hole bunch of sniper posts and ppl and u must kill the other ppl and u only have a sniper. But other ppl will be in ur post wich will be ur team so ur team needs to snipe other teams.

Bridge War

---------------------------------

On one of the bridges there is a hole bunch of humers on each side of the bridge. ppl and guns so ppl need to rush to the middle and kill eachother.

Well those are my modes

Here is your chance to add to the development of mta,

we want to hear your ideas for game modes and subgames/minigames in mta,

How about a MMORPG, I was in the process of making one with a friend, (he was doing all the work) but it turned out rubbish.

After you kill people you get certain exp (for what weapon used), say you kill somebody with a pistol then it gets 50? M60 15 - 20, Stubby 15 - 20.

Anybody think it is a good idea?

Anyhow how about a game where the police force can arrest you.

There is a server that allows this it is called DJMills Eperimental Gaming server (in the united kingdom), it is quite cool and really fun to play, somehow the script knows how to lock people in jail, to arrest, but you don't actually get arrested (you don't see the animation) but you have to follow him until you get kicked (the script kicks if you are too far away from the cop that arrested you or if you killed the cop).

Maybe you could make this and put the animation in, for arrests and the jail thing.

Thanks.

a lot of ideas i've seen here are either from other games, or really complicated. almost all are excellent. I'm sure nobody is gonna read this, cause we have a sea of suggestions, but here's mine anyways:

- flood the town, change all cars to indestructible boats, and make the yacht driveable (all of these have been done in sp before)

-1 shot kills as a "mutator" for any other mod suggested here (otherwise known as instagib)- been done

-grand theft city of heroes. need i say more

now I'm interested in knowing if anyone suggesting these mods are planning on making any. i hope to see some great stuff, but not too many (diversity is good, but it can fracture a community, and mta has one helluva community)

dang, cause i thought it was the best advancement in multiplayer games when "mutators" were introduced, it was an amazing feat. of course mtama was capable of "mutators" to an extent, where we could load more than 1 code at a time.

ps: where did you read that there was 1 mod at a time?

ps: where did you read that there was 1 mod at a time?

In this thread:

http://forum.mtavc.com/viewtopic.php?t=9566

as it stands now, only 1 addon can be loaded at a time.....

we're discussing multiple addons but that brings up new issues..

of course addon developers will be able to share resources, and design their sections of code to be somewhat portable, so other addon devs can snap in features from other people... of course that would require a new release each time a feature is added...

I see the point about wanting multiple addons, but we haven't come to an agreement on it.

Kent

HQ Shootout: In the police headquarters near a tool shop, the upper floor is divided in a sort of office-type thing. There are cubicals, open desks, and "room"-offices. I was thinking that if you set up some points in certain locations there, players could have a Time Crisis style shootout with being able to duck behind desks and walls. Disabling movement other than ducking would be nice too.
you can disable those weapons, that is easy - problem is, gta* is third person - so you can see where everything is before you shoot and you can still hit them while crouched. Still, might be worth trying to do =)

what about a first person camera mod?

I don't know if somebody else had that idea before...

It's an idea for VC and I call it ... Vice City GANG-WARS. There are two teams (or more). One of the players have to be the chief. The goal is to get all the buildings you can buy in singleplayer (malibu club, Biker-Bar, houses with garages etc.). But the Buildings have to be more expenshive than in singleplayer (Best idea would be, if the server-admin can choose how much the buildings cost). Only the chief can buy it.

To get money the players of the two teams have to complete missions. This missions could be the same like in singleplayer, but they are random available. The players have to be carefull, because the players of the other team can kill him and the mission would be failed.

If a mission would be succesfull, the money goes to the chief. And if he got enough to buy a building, he can do. After buying it he and the players of his team can get there health, armor and some weapons. (At small buildings may just the pistol and at big buildings (may film-studio) money(only for chief), the pistol, uzi, m-16, etc.)

I don't know excactly how many buildings you can get there in vice city. So let's say for example there are 15 buildings. One team got 8, the other team got 7 of the buildings. What now? May the teams could have a Gang-War to fight for each Building. Or the Chiefs of the teams could have a race. Or you got a better idea. Or or or...

That or something like that would be cool. Me and some friends talked about this but nobody of us can program in C++ or something. But we think the idea is great. And we hoped somebody could have the same idea and begins to program.

N8walker

Posted the same idea in the mod section but I guess it was ignored or something. Let's see if it gets any attention here.

BORDER CROSSING:

The Environment:

There are two little islands - the starting island where players spawn and the destination island. There is a quite long but narrow water route from the starting island to the destination island and it's bounded with poles that are floating in the water. You can't cross the line that the poles form so you have to stay on the route. There are also big rocks, floating trash etc. on the route so you can't just drive straight to reach the destination island.

The Teams:

There are two teams - the border crossers and the police. The border crossers have a simple goal: they jump on boats, drive as quickly as they can to the destination island, hop off and cross a line (which is very near the shore). When they cross the escape line they have succesfully crossed the border. The police naturally try to stop this by jumping on boats and shooting the shit out of the illegal border crossers.

The Chase:

When the game starts the border crossers get little lead to jump on their fast boats (about 220 km/h) and start driving towards their destination. They're armed only with a pistol (or nothing, you decide).

Then the police players spawn and run to their police boats. There could be three different police boats: one really large ship that could carry about 10 officers on its deck (speed about 200 km/h), many police boats that have a mounted turret (unlimited ammo but have to be reloaded after 200 shots) so that players can occupy them in pairs (speed about 210 km/h) and many little fast boats that can only be driven by one player and they do not include any guns (speed about 240 km/h). Every cop has a M60 so that they can shoot the crossers on the top of the large police ship I mentioned earlier. There could also be a couple of mounted turrets on the big ship.

The Consequences:

After the chase (every living crossers has crossed the escape line or everyone of them is dead) the teams will change a bit. The crossers that got killed will spawn as cops and the ones that survived will continue as crossers. I have also an idea in which the number of lost crossers would be removed from the lead the surviving crossers get. The game would start over when none of the crossers reaches the escape line. There should also be a time limit so that no one can just dodge the bullets of the police boats and sail around for an hour.

Alternative option:

After the chase (no matter how did it end) the crossers will turn to cops and the cops into crossers. This isn't a good choice because I think that there should be more cops than crossers. :roll:

The Problems:

There are a few dilemmas that would have to be solved so that the gameplay is smooth:

1. How fast can the police boats drive so that they are in the shooting range but can't go past them (the little fast boats are an exception)? Especially the big ship is a problem because it shouldn't drive too fast but the cops on board should have a change to fire at the crossers.

2. Who drives the big ship? There can be two problems - everybody wants to drive it or nobody wants to touch it. I think that you couldn't jack any vehicles after somebody has jacked them because otherwise everybody would be jacking everybody and the chase wouldn't work. You could still jack the boat if the first jacker leaves the vehicle.

Comments? Better ideas? 8-[

Just wanted to add a idea, please do tell me what you think.

how about adding a very realistic game mode.

basically theres a city, there are robbers, cops, normal citizerns who drive around etc.

once a player joins a city he can be a cab driver, cop or whatever he wants, for example if a cop is patrolling a city and he see's someone driving recklessly he can give chase, request backup etc.

i know it sounds boring but there are some ppl who would luv this game mode (me being one of them).

let me know what you lot think!

- Jim

let me know what you lot think!

The idea is good but there are a few limiting factors. Firstly, there should be at least 50 players so that the game would stay intresting. Secondly, I think that playing a civilian would be boring unless you add a number of tasks for them. Who wants just to walk around watching cops chasing robbers? You should be more specific and make up winning and losing factors etc.