"Tame the Cube" (DD map for race gamemode)

Puma

Be interesting to try it in a slightly more predictable way, a bit like the colour matching games like Guitar Hero. That way you get a slight advanced warning what's going to happen - maybe one side lights up (or a marker appears). Maybe it could happen regularly every 10 seconds initially, and get faster and faster. Although I see the interest in this version, it seems a bit punishing and perhaps lacking in skill - giving people a bit of warning would make it easier to pick up and still as hard to master.

I think there's more potential for combining colour matching style gameplay with racing that could be interesting to explore.

Looks like a nice little minigame. Its like a variant of fallout from which I got the idea from an old N64 Mario Party game where you had to run to specific colored mushrooms faster and faster while fighting the others, being the last one alive to win.

nice

few suggestions:

coloring each side of cube in different color, and making dxrectangle warnings hud

some explosive barrels, holes in cube and fences for extra fun :D

atmosphere-recoloring also sky and water

combinating vehicle gravity change with cube movement, for really disorienting players

Haha :P I'll upload the maps somewhere very soon, maybe even tomorrow.

really cool, because your maps look like a lot of fun. there are only very few people who are able to successfully put mapping and scripting skills into one awesome piece of work

yea, i wanna it too, even i dont have any dd/dm server :D

its very rare to see scripted map indeed :)

after few months im gonna start dd/dm srv (after i get done with freeroam one) and i'll do lot of scripted maps too :)

and i'll do lot of scripted maps too :)

You're talking about it like making good maps and scripts is just some daily business. It's not. There's a lot of people out there that produce maps faster than McDonald's can bake hamburgers, but that doesn't say the stuff they produce is good. I can say that the stuff I produce is quite good and original and that's only because I only show and/or release what I think is good enough (being a perfectionist helps too :P). Making good maps isn't that simple and you won't be able to fill your server with cool maps that use scripts and custom models etcetera, because, like DarkDragon already said, there are only a few people who are able to "successfully put mapping and scripting skills into one awesome piece of work" and I'm just very lucky to have the imagination to think of something new that people like. I'm not boasting here, I just want to tell you that you need to have some talent and idea of what you're doing. I've been doing modding and modeling for years now and I have played GTA even longer than that (started with MTA:VC when I was a newbie of 11 years old or so), and I still learn from every new map, model, mod or script that I make (not that I'm that good at scripting yet :P). You need years of experience to know what people like and what people don't like and how to fulfil their expectations. It's not like snapping with your fingers and you got a sandwich on your plate, to say it like that. You gotta know what ingredients to use, in the right proportions, how to cook and how to serve them, while you're still doing your own thing. Again, I'm not boasting, I just want you to know that it's not as easy as you think.

Again, I'm not boasting

hehe,sorry but it sounds like that so much ;)

i know what i said!

i started computer programming when i was like 7-8.. I was never interested only in playing games, i got totally bored with playing few years ago, and im making the server .. because i like to.. I started with modding vc too.. I wrote some single player missions, i was doing a 3d modelling.. Every day im working as webdeveloper. I'm a perfectionist too. The only thing i never tried on pc is the 3d animation (i got bored with 3d fast).. And now i'm 21, and this is like over 10 years with pc, with programming in over 10 languages, with movie/audio edit, 3d modelling, mapping, 'hacking' games with hex editor (i mean not changing values like from 5 to 100, i edited some old platform game, and totally changed the map, and in all that random chars i found out how all 'scripting' is working [it was like 40bytes blocks, describing the behaviour of game elements, and interferation with each other].. After all, it have to validate in internal ingame validation)

Sorry for so long description, but i had to:D

now you can say that i'm boasting

but you can't say that i don't know what i'm talking about.. :)

Btw: all my scripting to vc, my 3d work, everything was damaged in hdd failure 2 years ago :(

There still is a little bug tho: if the cube is moving, you can get in the cube using the blocks in the corners :o

Can't fix that, because the cube is moving with a certain "FPS": it doesn't move smoothly from A to F, but it goes via A, B, C, D, E, F. It's like a film that has multiple frames which are played fast after eachother: because of the short period between the frames it looks smooth. Because the cube moves from A to B to C, you will not move with the cube, but the cube will move 'through' you: the cube is created at position A, destroyed, recreated at position B, destroyed, recreated at position C etcetera. As for the falling into the cube: that's caused by what I described above, because the cube slowly emerges you into the model and, if the distance between two points isn't too big, it'll push the vehicle a bit because the force on it suddenly increases, if you get what I mean. When the distance between too points is too big, the vehicle will slowly be 'eaten' by the model. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but this is the only explanation I could think of and I think the "FPS" is quite visible ingame too if you look at a 'moving' object.

Could be, but I definantly have not stolen the idea. I just saw that "Tilt" map from someone on this forum and that inspired me to make this. Maybe the goal is the same: don't fall off, but that's the main goal in all DD maps, isn't it? I furtherly improved the whole idea of (an) object(s) moving/rotating and added a custom object and some sounds..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...