Brilliant MOD ....... but what a cock up ... Win98!!

Guest Joe

I know the topic of Win98 has been mentioned in other posts but I have got to say...... what a cock up and missed opportunity by the modders.

It is a well known fact that more than 60% of users (world wide) still use Win98 (or anything other than XP).

Only about 30% use XP.

Why write a Mod for an OS that is used by the minority????

At least a patch should have been put together for Win98 users, if thats possible.

Also, why didn't the MTA site clearly :( advertise the fact that you would need XP? You only find out by searching through the posts in the Forum.

I have been waiting months for a multiplayer mod for GTAVC and so far no one has come up with the goods...... oh .... no I am wrong. I can have multiplayer but must spend about £90 on an XP upgrade... what an expensive FREE mod!!!

Well thats my moan for the year...... come on guys help all us Win98 users (the majority) to have fun with GTAVC. I'm begging now........

Thanks... I am chilled.

It would be interesting to know how many people who visit the MTA site are not XP users. They are all going to be very disappointed.

Re a fix. I don't hold out much hope for that, not in the near future at least.

No one, to my knowledge, has hinted as to why the mod won't work outside XP. I have a small two PC network and both computers can connect to the MTA Server, but as everyone else has found, you don't see the other player in the game.

What is it that XP does to make that part of the mod work that Win98 doesn't??

First off, stop your bitching and read the forums. More than 80% of the "problems" can be solved by workarounds.

Most importantly, who in their right mind uses Win98 (Win98SE) and calls themselves a computer user? Win98 is a bloated and overall "damaged" OS that was amazing at the time (100% agreement), but is horrible within today's standards. Windows XP / Windows 2000 is NOT used in the minority for MTA users, so I don't know why you think this is the case.

The #1 reason we did not "develop" for Win98 is the simple fact of none of the developers being outdated (stupid?) enough to run such an old and unmanageable OS. Also, from a programming standpoint, Win98 has HORRIBLE Memory Management, which in a project like this is the key. MTA was, and in some cases still is, "crash happy". Therefore, Memory Management and the ability to "clean up" is an amazing feature. Win98 pretty much ignores this altogether, which would result in the constant need for reboots.

We developed the mod on Windows 2000 and Windows XP with an extremely high success rate. Yes we should have tested Win98, but we obviously did not put enough thought into it being stupid enough to not handle extremely basic code.

We will help you Win98 users (the minority) when we can. We did not intentially do this and we are sorry that this has been the outcome, but unfortunately you need to invest in an OS upgrade soon anyways, so why not now?

lol, nearly 90% of the gamers use windows 98 (w98se) because it does NOT use alot of memory, thats why i personnaly use windows 98se because i get advantage in games, but disadvantage on actually working on the pc such as writting on word etc, i do get crashes but hardly EVER in games, windows xp is a good os, but it DOES waste some memory/speed what ever u want to call it, go read reviews about changing os and the advantages and disadvantages, my friend tried xp and windows 98 and he got nearly 40% more fps by using windows 98. these days the windows 98 is used by people that want to get the best results in gaming.

If you honestly are still under the impression that Win98 offers vast improvement in Games, you are sadly mistaken.

On old hardware that cannot proper work with Windows 2000 / XP, I could see it, but maybe if that is the case it is time to upgrade your hardware.

All I know is that Windows 2000 / XP are able to run games at a speed in which I can play perfectly and it also allows me to properly develop the MTA project without rebooting every 5 minutes.

Thank god to proper memory management!

OH MY GOD!

u really mean that? MTA is offically doesn't support 98?? well i think that's the first time i hear about a program that support only 2000\XP.

Well, i think u should write it in some places on the site like the news and the FAQ so ppl can see it and know that the game doesn't work for them because they have 98 on their machine.

• MTA Team

We do wonna support Win98, problem is that none of the devs have t on theire PC's and apperantly none of the testers either, therefore we did not detect any problem with it until after the release. It was just the same with 0.3b, we hope our next version will work with Win98, we just need to find out why it doesn't work

Right... just had chance to see what everyone has said. Looks like I have stirred things up a bit!

Need to point a couple of things out...

THIS IS NOT AN OS DEBATE OR "WAR".

1) Cray..... I did not refer to MTA users when I mentioned how many people still use Win98.... if you read my post I said "users (worldwide)" not MTA users (Worldwide). Please read more carefully next time, thank you. As one of the earlier posts said to me "Chill out man".

2) When XP was released I read dozens of reviews by many different "experts" and they all said the same thing. If you have Win98SE then it is not worth upgrading to XP as the benefits are so few. Gaming was not one of the benefits. I am not a dinosaur, I do upgrade when the need arises, I am constantly upgrading my hardware.

From what you have said it sounds like the MTA team either assumed or hoped MTA would work on other OS's or you overlooked the issue. That is not a criticism, just an observation.

Be aware that the title of my post started with "Brilliant Mod", that wasn't sarcasm, it was a genuine statement. The mod is excellent.

Even at the grand old age of 37 I was very excited about this mod being released, imagine the disappointment when I found I couldn't use it.

I still feel you should make it very clear on your homepage that the mod only, at present, works with 2000 or XP.

we wont say that it doesn't work with 98SE because we have heard many successful cases of people using the mod...

Like cray mentioned earlier, its hard to chock up errors to just the operating system, because there are often workarounds...

The reason why we didn't forsee this being an issue..

Most of the code for MTA (that isn't directly inside of GTAVC) deals with memory reading and writing... these are the same function calls on both operating systems.. readprocessmemory and writeprocessmemory are very basic kernel routines that though may be different in how they are handled by the operating system, are equivalent in their usage via API calls...

When the team does find a bug, it often takes a long time to trace through the code and see where the error is.. its even harder on network based / multi application (client and server) software... because of this it takes a LONG time to find the bugs..

which is why we release betas... so people like you can find the errors.. (our team is not a large enough basis to determine how flawed/flawless our design is.) please bear that in mind when you make criticisms...

this is our first release, and we need to find the bugs, and thanks for telling us, but when people get mad about it tehy miss the whole reason that this software is called BETA..

Kent

Many thanks to the MTA Team.

My post has had the desired affect and provoked you all to state your case and position.

I feel I have gained more knowledge of the situation from this one post than from reading many of the others.

I will keep checking the site and Forum, and hopefully some sort of fix will appear in due course.

Hope I didn't annoy you to much.

Keep up the good work.

:)