Progress summary, Public Beta #1 + forthcoming Beta #2

jhxp

• MTA Team

As some of you might have noticed, we hosted a small-scale public beta test last Friday. Even though we didn't want to give it that much of an attention, the outcome was more than satisfying. The server (40 slots) was filled literally within a single minute after going live, with dozens of people still trying to join. With your help, we have found some previously unnoticed bugs which we certainly want to fix before the release. Additionally, there have been some new crashes discovered as well, which were investigated and fixed shortly after the test.

We have tried several gamemodes on the test, some of which have shown that they need some attention before we can mark them as releasable. Gamemodes which we have tested are: capture the orb (cto), capture the vehicle (ctv), team deathmatch arena (tdma), capture the flag (ctf), race gamemode (race) and classic deathmatch (cdm).

Now, about the progress summary for June/July:

• Mabako has made a neat looking chatbox customisation tab for the settings menu, along with some presets available. It's now really easy to customise your chatbox the way you want it to be! See pic.
  • Several other UI changes: updated gui icons, improved alt-tabbing and fixed most of the problems related with it, added new configuration options to settings window and fixed ones in sound volume tab, resolution changing tweaks, rewritten and improved code for taking screenshots, added filters for server browser
  • Added opacity customisation for the ingame full screen map
  • Added setVehicleGravity function - see pics: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4.
  • Fixed killer and weapon detection for flame kills
  • Jax has added a possibility to set custom headlights colour for vehicles
  • Further bandwidth optimisations and crashfixes
  • Tweaks for unoccupied vehicles synchronisation
  • Configuration variables for server have been cleaned up a bit, and had their explanations tweaked where needed

Rest of changes can be found here (up to r1296).

There is of course a fair amount of changes made to resources (and map editor) as well, you can see them here (starting from r211).

Here are some eye-candies for those of you who weren't lucky enough to join the public test (or had a nasty accident involving Fraps and Steam just at the beginning of the test.. oh wait, that's me :P):

13072009-1-th.jpg 13072009-2-th.jpg

13072009-3-th.jpg 13072009-4-th.jpg

13072009-5-th.jpg 13072009-6-th.jpg

Speaking of Steam, if you are using it, you might want to check out our newly reopened Steam Community group there. We will use it as an additional form of communication with you from now on. We will also utilise the events system available in there to mark some MTA-related events, once they're planned.

We would like to thank those who participated in the Friday's test and we would like to invite you to our next public test, which will be held on Saturday 18th July. This will attempt to see how 1.0 will cope with high loads and try and push the playerlimit.

Unlike our previous tests we'll be holding this alongside our friends at Valhalla Gaming. This means the test will be entirely RPG based - and we encourage any fans of RPG to participate. Of course, anyone is welcome to join, but it should be noted that Valhalla is strictly an RPG server and therefore there are specific role-playing rules to abide by. We feel that by running a beta test in an RPG environment, we can truly test high player limits while still making it managable.

Estimated time of test start is at 1500 GMT. Please click here to find out what time this is in your time zone

Unlike usual, the test will be running for several hours, so you should be able to get a slot.

As with our previous tests, join our email list by visiting beta.mtasa.com or join follow us on our Twitter page to be told when and where the test is happening.

We will post the details for the Beta client download and the server address through our various contact feeds closer to the time. Feel free to join us at irc in our #mta irc channel, though all playing details will be posted on this newspost, twitter, or the above mentioned Steam community group, so you wont miss out if you're not there!

Depending on the results of the test, and of course your feedback, we can determine how far we are away from release. Judging by the current state of the mod, we would like to think release can happen very soon after this test.

That's it for now.

Edited by Guest

I don't really see the point of a test on an RPG mode with RPG rules. Let's face it, very little useful is actually given an opportunity to be tested compared to other modes. (Plus that RPG is fantastically boring and I can't be the only one who thinks this.)

We should have something more like FMJ DM, in my opinion. Better opportunity for higher player counts (as I said, I doubt I'm the only one who thinks RPG is a giant snore-fest), testing of all kinds of sync, etc.

I don't really see the point of a test on an RPG mode with RPG rules. Let's face it, very little useful is actually given an opportunity to be tested compared to other modes. (Plus that RPG is fantastically boring and I can't be the only one who thinks this.).

Roleplayers would say exactly that for deathmatch beta tests.

I don't really see the point of a test on an RPG mode with RPG rules. Let's face it, very little useful is actually given an opportunity to be tested compared to other modes. (Plus that RPG is fantastically boring and I can't be the only one who thinks this.)

We should have something more like FMJ DM, in my opinion. Better opportunity for higher player counts (as I said, I doubt I'm the only one who thinks RPG is a giant snore-fest), testing of all kinds of sync, etc.

I agree, at a RPG you need to hold you on rules, like that you may not do drive to hard, and other stuff. A RPG does not put the sync on the test. At a big Death Match mode you can do whatever you want.

I don't really see the point of a test on an RPG mode with RPG rules. Let's face it, very little useful is actually given an opportunity to be tested compared to other modes. (Plus that RPG is fantastically boring and I can't be the only one who thinks this.).

Roleplayers would say exactly that for deathmatch beta tests.

Quite possibly, but a notable difference is, they'd be dead wrong. Otherwise, maybe you could give me an example of what gets tested properly in a 128 player server with RPGers and not in a 128 player server with DMers.

The only thing I see possible to test on a RPG server is traffic light synch patch. Which isn't even applied to MTA. (well, yet) So I agree with robhol there.

Besides, shouldn't we look if the issues in the last beta test have been resolved first? From what I can tell it was quite some chaos back there...

Keep up the awesome work! I see a release soon.

Quite possibly, but a notable difference is, they'd be dead wrong. Otherwise, maybe you could give me an example of what gets tested properly in a 128 player server with RPGers and not in a 128 player server with DMers.

Valhalla's code contains over twenty thousand lines of code, the last time Valhalla had 70 players there were serious problems so this test should tremendously help.

Its entirely your choice if you go or not, we aren't forcing you to do so but there are some people who would prefer an RPG mode (I'm entirely neutral about what I test, I have my favourites but to me it doesn't matter)

having a community made mode which has been maintained practically since the nightlys started to me seems like a sensible mode to showcase rather than showing what our developers have done it's a good idea to show what other people have done.

This isnt about showcasing, not even RPG or testing resources of any kind.

This is simply to do a large scale beta test - one that can have a player count of 80-128. Valhalla is the best platform for us to do this, and is equipped to provide for all these players. It is also the only large-scale public nightly server that has been mantained and tested thoroughly, on which we can rely for a test to be performed upon.

The only thing I see possible to test on a RPG server is traffic light synch patch. Which isn't even applied to MTA. (well, yet) So I agree with robhol there.

Besides, shouldn't we look if the issues in the last beta test have been resolved first? From what I can tell it was quite some chaos back there...

maybe the traffic and peds resources get tested :D but testing traffic light sync would be a cool idea too.

quit nagging about stuff people. It's gonna be great. If you prefer DM then why not stick with the current version while new one comes out and let some players who are not prefferably THAT associated to deathmatch as they like talking their way out of shit and doing other shit to help shit be more shitty. ANYHOW, let's see what this brings. I would love to see traffic lights synced :D

I think you should try to limit the flaming, at least until you've been here for more than five minutes.

All I'm saying is that DM would be vastly more effective in pretty much any kind of testing. I don't get what you're flaming about (in the somewhat small of your post that wasn't raped by the censor), nor why you think the next version will be less suited for DM than RPG.

Also, feel free to take those traffic lights and shove them. :wink:

Mabako has made a neat looking chatbox customisation tab for the settings menu, along with some presets available. It's now really easy to customise your chatbox the way you want it to be! See pic.

god damnit ..finally, i've been waiting so damn long for something like this. good job! :)

//edit: only thing i'm missing now is the race edf thingy for the map editor, any informations when it'll be implemented?

Just a small note. vG MTARP is a RP server, a RolePlay server, notably different from RPG aka RolePlaying Game. In RPG you only have basic elements of character development, in RP you have character story, consequential mindset and more feature to portray life(balanced to keep it fun of course). It's great to have the test on the server, i'm really looking forward to it.

I think you should try to limit the flaming, at least until you've been here for more than five minutes.

All I'm saying is that DM would be vastly more effective in pretty much any kind of testing. I don't get what you're flaming about (in the somewhat small of your post that wasn't raped by the censor), nor why you think the next version will be less suited for DM than RPG.

Also, feel free to take those traffic lights and shove them. :wink:

Has anyone ever told you what a douchebag you are?

• MTA Team

We might do another test after this - could be with some strictly DM mode for a change. So there is really no point for arguing - if you don't like a roleplay style of gameplay, simply, you don't have to come.